Combating mass shootings

I don’t know how to get the article here but this is where you go to read it. Dallas Morning News, 8 Sep 19. We can stop mass shootings without restricting 2nd amendment liberties. Read and comment.

2 Likes

Here you go

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2019/09/08/we-can-stop-mass-shootings-without-restricting-second-amendment-liberties/

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Well, thank you, show off! LOL

2 Likes

And your thoughts?

1 Like

When I go to the link I can read the story but the comments seem to be “unavailable.” They’re “revamping”???

Anyway, I think the author makes some good points and I would not mind enhanced security as long as they don’t take away my right to protect my person/family individually as well (e.g. restrict CC/OC).

I do disagree with one point the author brings up and that is “getting lost in root causes” until we as a society DO address root causes we will continue to have these tragedies. Back in the 60’s and 70’s when weapons were MORE available and kids had guns in their vehicles in the school parking lot for after school hunting and/or shooting activities or brought them into the school as part of the shooting club…we didn’t have this crap. Now 40yrs later we do despite guns being far less accessible than they were back then. Why? What’s changed?

Until we answer that, we’ll continue to have mass killings (of one type or another).

The author however may be correct in that Government is not equipped to address it, but they could certainly help.

4 Likes

I was unable to get the link but I am not very good at those sort of things.

1 Like

So far I am not able to figure out even how to quote you guys in my replies.

Take your mouse left click and hold and then “mouse over” the sentence or words you want to quote and then let the left click off (I selected the sentence your last post you should see a little shadow box that says “quote” left click that and it’ll open up a reply with the quote already in it.

Edit note - apparently the system has a restriction on allowing you to quote the entire post, because even though your last post was only one sentence, the system automatically removed the quote from my original response.

1 Like

@George16 first for putting in a link (web page) use the thing that looks like a “Chain LINK” to the left of the quotation marks where you are typing. Copy the page link at the top of your browser and paste it in the top box you can add another title if you want.

My thoughts: I agree in principle with the concept of openly armed guards/people etc. I just do not think that America is ready to deal with the concept of extreme violence and the methods to combat it.

On one of my deployments I had the opportunity to go to Israel. Being a young single sailor I was at the beach surveying quite a large number of quite beautiful ladies in various forms of bikini’s. One I was particularly enjoying the view of got up dusted herself off, moved a towel and quite naturally slung an M-16 over her shoulder, picked up her stuff and sauntered off with the barrel of said M-16 bouncing between her butt cheeks.:hushed: Violent “CRIME” in Israel is virtually non existent, getting hit with a rocket is slightly more probable.

Unfortunately when a “Good Guy with a gun” does something amazing the story is buried as it does not fit the narrative of the MSM.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

That sounds hotter than Bo Dereck coming out of the water onto the beach in 10. :joy:
(ok, I’m dating myself now)

2 Likes

Yes you are, although I have always leaned more brunette than most. As for when things went wrong, I am of the opinion that it happened when parents decided to be their children’s friends instead of parents.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try it, although most of the time I talk to you all it is from this phone.

1 Like

@JamesR Bo Dereck had nothing on this young lass (neither forward, aft or between her ears) I met her later at a Disco (who’s dating who now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and she was an IDF SAR swimmer and @George16 she was a brunette with brilliant bright blue eyes and a smile to die for. Every time I hear the song “Brandy” her face pops into my head, her name was 'Bindy" short for something I couldn’t pronounce.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I’m not sure I agree that a uniformed private armed public square is necessary. People flinch at folks openly carrying guns. Just because he now has a security uniform on will make us feel better? I don’t think so. I’ve been overseas in many different places and it is a bit unnerving to see armed guards everywhere. It doesn’t make me feel any better.

I believe a better way is to return to our roots and ensure all able bodied persons 18 years and older are trained in the safe use and carry of a firearm. That will go a long way to help people (especially young people) to see that firearms aren’t dangerous in the hands of a well trained and safety minded citizen. Then, as concealed carry goes up, more people will think twice before causing evil. We train young people to safely drive a car. Why not on carrying a firearm? We need to embrace the culture of firearms in this country to ensure our own personal safety. Done right, it could go a long way to reducing crime as well.

3 Likes

The Founders were primarily concerned about preventing tyranny, and they correctly understood that a free people could keep themselves safe, but a safe people might not be able to keep themselves free. You could live safely in a police state or a military dictatorship, or remain subjects of King George, but you wouldn’t be free.

So very true!

5 Likes

Studying the root causes is exactly what is needed. One of those root causes (IMO) is the removal of God from our lives. I am not a particularly religious man but that little bit of religion gives me a moral compass, something sorely lacking in a society that more and more frequently doesn’t respect human life.

1 Like

Guns have been around forever. What has changed is personal responsibility and victimhood.

Nothing is a person’s fault it’s always the other guy and today’s rhetoric (from all sides) is to hate that other guy or group and what do we naturally do with things we hate. We try to destroy them.

Respect others as you respect yourself. It’s not complicated, there’s always going to be bad apples but there’s no reason for all the hate.

3 Likes

I think the author may be well intentioned but completely off base.

We can neither afford nor will the public tolerate private armed security looking like SWAT operators at every school, mall/business or public event nor is it necessary.

More responsibly armed citizens going about their daily lives is all the protection that is necessary or tolerable combined with keeping felons in prison for long sentences, fully enforcing existing laws and doing what is necessary to get dangerous mentally ill people off of the streets, treated, and medicated as necessary.

If someone is too crazy to be trusted with a gun they are too dangerous to be loose on our streets, with access to automobiles, guns, or any other dangerous weapon.

The author is right about one thing, violating our 2nd Amendment rights certainly isn’t the answer, if anything the answer is expanding lawful carry and making self defense laws ever more “user friendly” so that good people aren’t afraid to step up and intervene when it is necessary.

2 Likes

Always have to be right don’t ya?

1 Like

I think the author is way off and stated why. Is that a problem ?

1 Like