Colt 1911 Question

Hey everybody, I need some information please. I just inherited a Colt .45 1911, According to the info on the pistol it is a US Army issue, with a very low serial number I was told that it was manufactured in the 3rd production round. It’s in Very Good to Excellent condition. Would anyone have an idea on what it is worth, or where I can take it to find out ? I am located in the Mide Atlantic area. Thanks

2 Likes

google it, there are numerous “gun sites” that have stuff for sale and you can compare.

1 Like

Check out GunBroker.com for price comparisons.

1 Like

Hi, Mark801 - I have relied on S. P. Fjestad’s GUN VALUES Book. I believe the latest versions stop at 2019. Amazon has it for around $20. It has all guns and tells you their value by the range of date and serial numbers. Worth looking into. 2nd Edition Blue Book of Antique American Firearms & Values Paperback – Unabridged, March 5, 2019 - it should give you an idea of the worth of your 1911.

1 Like

In the collectibles market things like that are worth what someone is willing to pay and it varies wildly with many seemingly insignificant variables potentially altering value sometimes by thousands of dollars.

Is it 100% original? That means including every part it left the factory with, no replacements or arsenal refurbishments. How are you rating Very Good to Excellent? Are you an expert appraiser? Provenance? Documentation on where the gun came from and how it got to you. Every detail, especially on a low serial numbers gun, matters. If you can post some pictures I can give you a general idea but at the end a professional appraisal by a recognized expert is the only way to go.

Also, if you’re looking to sell, look for a dealer or specialized site and don’t be in a hurry to get what the gun is worth. The right collector will come around but it could take a while.

5 Likes

Just a quick search on gunbroker.com shows selling prices between $750 and $5000+.

Not a good answer without knowing the specifics. Try contacting CMP to see if they can assist you.

1 Like

Hi Mark here, is there an e-mail I can send some pics of the 1911 to you ?? Mark

1 Like

Add the pic(s) here! (Sharing) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You can post them directly here. That way you can get multiple opinions. If you’re worried about posting pics of the gun, don’t be. I probably have hundreds of them all over the internet over decades of participation in forums.

1 Like

Just obscure the serial number.

2 Likes

Hi @Mark801 ,
If you really want to know the value of this pistol and confirm its authenticity I strongly recommend sign up for “1911 Forum” at https://www.1911forum.com/
You can then reach out to all the 1911 gurus, even manufacturers’ gunsmiths .

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the serial number might be the most important thing to verify this pistol.
And that’s why it’s hard to find the real value on Community like ours.
He needs to reach out privately to somebody who knows everything about Colt 1911.

2 Likes

When describing the Colt, replace the last three or four digits with XXXs.

3 Likes

Here’s a good place to start. It’s an old website and kind of awkward to navigate but it’s a gold mine of information on vintage 1911s. http://coolgunsite.com/

3 Likes

@Dr_Jeffry_L Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

@Mark801 Nice inheritance, hopefully, with all the input suggested will help you! :+1:

1 Like

It is not something you want to post online, but he did state 3rd production and a very low number.

2 Likes

Not my call… but there are hundreds of historical 1911 pistols with stamped numbers to make them unique.
Without full number the real value is still unknown.
… Unless he is willing to sell it for $200 - $300.… :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Yes, it isn’t your call. That is not the point. We aren’t buying nor selling it, etc., so putting the s/n here is not wise - even if we were. That would be best done privately, in-person, or maybe a secured email.

There have been numerous discussions on this site about pictures of firearms with s/n’s visible.

3 Likes

yeap… that is exactly what I posted 16 hrs ago… :wink:

2 Likes