Clearing Malfunctions

The awesome Brock goes over a few ways to handle malfunctions.

How often do you train to clear malfunctions?

12 Likes

Every trip to range. I load lots of dummy rounds

6 Likes

One of the guys I train with loads our mags, so we never know what we’re getting. Could be a full mag or one round or a mix of live + dummy

4 Likes

@BrophE My hubby does this for me when I’m shooting at home - it’s really illuminating on flinch too.
@Dawn for a while there with the new Canik I was training malfunctions a LOT :laughing: that stovepipe thing… :roll_eyes::grimacing:
Fortunately that is solved so now I’m going to have to go back to planning to train for them.

3 Likes

Throw in an occasional empty brass.

3 Likes

Good video but he needs to throw in and distinguish between a failure to extract and a stove pipe due to a failure to eject.

3 Likes

Have you ever been at the range and a misfeed or a jam occurred with your firearm?
How would you clear it? God forbid it happen in an actual firefight what would you do when seconds count?

1 Like

Hi @Johnnyq60! I moved your question to this post as this post should help!

Thanks @Dawn I didn’t realize it or didn’t remember the tread. My apologies. Have a blessed day.

2 Likes

That is a great idea that’s how we trained at the NYPD range as they called it malfunction drills. We did TAP, RACK and BANG. The double feed was tough to clear.

2 Likes

Hard to explain, but have had a Browning Hi-Power jam during a timed competition…(Took Second).

Failure to extract fully…Pull slide to rear, twist firearm to side and shake to dislodge the brass, and let slide go to chamber new rd, and get back on target, firing.

Did not take much time, and while I might be slower today than I was way back then… with practice and familiarity it should be second nature.

If it is a more severe issue, like a ruptured case stuck in the chamber… you can always use it as a club.

2 Likes

Always follow all of the safety rules to the best of your abilities at all times.

These requests are for all firearms, including shotguns and rifes.

There is a lot of study on HP ( HOLLOW POINT AMMUNITION of all caibers ).
I have seen the experts do ballistics on all brands of ammunition used, including your famous .44 Special and .44 magnum that is in HP, AND IS VERY EFFECTIVE IN STOPPING medium game animals and the bad threatening monsters out there.

Please remember this ! If you are force to use a .44 pistol or rifle, please keep in mind that if that round stays intact and penatrates the threat and you are in a house or building, the bullet will and can continue to keep on moving through a wall, tree, building or a living person until that bullet stops or dies. Let the round do its work by peeling back like a star or mushrooming, it can fragment and still be a deadly nightmare till it stops completely. I had a malfunction and it was with a Henry .44 Big Boy. Ammo that when used, keeps on going until its over and it is not a .22 magnum; both deadly.

2 Likes

Best way to avoid malfunctions with your firearm? Carry a revolver.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and be blessed, glad to have you on board.

1 Like

I have nothing against revolvers brother even though I don’t own one at the time but soon will have one in my collection. Be blessed.

1 Like

While revolvers do have fewer malfunctions on average, there are still issues that can arise.

Weighing your options and pros and cons is important.

3 Likes

Replying to your follow up comment on my post: " While revolvers do have fewer malfunctions on average…" BINGO!!! YAHTZEE!!! DING DING DING!!! You’ve made my case Dawn. "… There are still issues that can arise. " Of course there are, anything mechanical can and will fail on occasion. Keeping it to a minimum is the important point. The fewer moving parts, the less chance of a failure. The larger issue, in my opinion, concerning revolver versus semi auto is the proficiency of the user who is banking his/her life on the firearm going bang when needed. There are simply too many glitch points on a semi auto to be comprehended by the average/ new shooter. Let me count the ways: failure to extract, failure to feed, double feed, stove pipe, limp wrist, accidental magazine release , the very dangerous " press check’ to see if a round is in the chamber,etc. etc.
In the last few months of Antifa/BLM knuckleheads tearing up the country ( on top of the Chicom Wuhan Virus) several of my wife’s girl friends have asked me to assist them in selecting a firearm for personal protection and help them learn how to use it. In every case ( 8 to be exact) I have steered them towards a revolver, usually a Ruger LCR, S & W J frame, or Colt Agent style. At this stage of their shooting career I don’t feel that they need a 14 round capacity or the distraction of all the levers and buttons on a semi auto.

3 Likes

While true, you missed an important detail.
Your first comment stated to ‘avoid malfunctions’… it did not state to keep malfunctions to a minimum. I think that was Dawn’s point, there are still malfunctions.

Only looking at the words used.

While revolvers are good, and I am both a revolver and semi auto person, even built my own S&W at the S&W Academy back in the 80s, a 4" .357 Stainless…, I would think instead of ‘steering’ them, you should provide the basics, the good and bad, and let them try them out, rent some and fire them and then let them decide.

Yes, a revolver is good, and a 2" .38/.357 is an excellent choice for concealed carry, but still, some may prefer and take to semi-autos far more than you give them credit for.

4 Likes

I have worked with many students (close to 200 over the last few months) and always had them try multiple firearms to find what works for them.

The advantages to semi-auto go beyond just round count - easier to conceal, easier to reload, easier to shoot in a lot of instances.

Giving people the details and letting them choose the gun that works best for them - whether semi-auto or revolver - is the best thing we can do for someone. The ONLY time I tell someone they shouldn’t get a certain gun is if they are not safe with it.

5 Likes