Classes

Hi All
This Saturday I have a training class on hand gun safety and marksmanship fundamentals. I also reviewed the videos for the tier 1 training on the USCCA website.
What is your opinion on the next class I should take? Thanks for your help!!! PEACE

2 Likes

We have many instructors here that could easily answer that if you would let them know where you want to go with training. Strictly CC? CC and home defense? Combat sim? Target?
You get the pictureā€¦

5 Likes

Good start @Vincent24.
Once you go through safety you should be ready for Defensive Pistol. (If available in your location). Next step will be Defensive Shooting Fundamentals 1 and 2.
These are awesome classes from USCCA.

3 Likes

Hi Robert
thanks for getting back to me, probably defense pistol training!!

4 Likes

Hi @Vincent24 I think it is a great idea to enroll and take training courses with the use of your firearm.

If I may make a recommendation, I donā€™t want to be negative but you mention ā€œmarksmanship fundamentalsā€. There is a HUGE difference between marksmanship and Defensive Shooting.

Marksmanship is basically shooting without regard for speed. You have plenty of time to shoot at a stationary piece of paper to score the highest point score you can by hitting as close to the center of the target as possible with every shot.

Defensive Shooting (DS) is a balance of speed and precision based on the target (threat). Being able to hit, as quick as you can, a target know as the High Center Chest withOUT a tight grouping is the most effective way of stopping a threat.

With this said, if you have the opportunity to maybe switch out of the marksmanship fundamentals class to a DS class, you may be better served. If they teach the USCCA curriculum, my recommendation would be to take the Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals, followed by the Defensive Shooting Fundamentals course.

I could be off baseā€¦ and your intention is to take the Sporting marksmanship track. Marksmanship and sports shooting can be very fun and rewarding. We have fun marksmanship target shooting contests every Thanksgiving with 20-30 family members, of all ages, while the turkey is in the oven. Itā€™s a lot of fun, I make sure to take my instructor cap off and just let everyone have fun (safely) shooting at paper and pop-up targets.

2 Likes

Fizbin is rightā€“combat accuracy is not target shooting, and is trained for differently.
The USCCA has the outstanding CC and HD Fundamentals and the Defensive shooting fundamentals.
The NRA has a CCW class, and if youā€™re looking for marksmanship training, they provide a course called the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program (https://mqp.nra.org/).
For defensive pistol training as a citizen who carries concealed, my recommendations on training classes is to take as many as you can afford. Be warned, they will get pricey if you opt for a place like Thunder Ranch or Front Sight or the classes from Mas Ayoob (to name a few).
Watch all the training videos you can find, and get on youtubeā€“there is a lot of good stuff out there online. I like Rob Pincusā€™ work a lot with ICE and his ā€˜personal defense readinessā€™ stuff (great videos).
Just donā€™t stop training!

1 Like

Hi Fibin
thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. I used the wrong description for the class Iā€™m taking. It said basic handgun, but the real description is Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals. I printed out the e mail you sent me and will keep it as a reference for future educational classes.
thanks again
Vince

1 Like

@Fizbin hit the nail on the difference of Defensive shooting and marksmanship shooting.
I would ask how experienced are you at shooting as a general?
I always recommend the Defensive shooting fundamentals, it is amazing at getting you used to shooting and 400-500 rounds during this course will go a long way with building your comfort and confidence with shooting as a general. The course would also drastically out do a marksmanship class in preparing you for any real life encounter. I highly recommend it and it is worth it and is my recommendation to everyone who asks me about firearms training beyond a conceal carry class.

Personal opinion below:
Now if you have only shot a few times, I personally believe getting some basic marksmanship would be better as slow shooting allows you to build on fundamentals without adding dynamics to it. If you cannot hit a paper at 15 feet while aiming, you sure as hell cannot hit the target in a defensive shooting style while not aiming(unless you are just ā€œbuilt differentā€ :rofl:). In this case, I would say that a Marksmanship class would be better but if you have the basics down and can hit the paper at 3-10 yards then defensive shooting would be next. You do not need to be able to hit a 6" grouping at 25 yards (marksmanship) to be able to defensively shoot a target at 20 feet and do really good. However, if you can shoot really well at 20 feet slow fire, you may still do bad at Defensive shooting at first but you could also do well.

When I teach new people who have never shot, I personally wonā€™t do any defensive shooting style stuff or send them to a class until they can hit a target at 7-10 yards but this is not necessary. I have noticed that anyone I do this with, they tend to do much better at the defensive shooting course overall as their fundamentals should be a bit better.(any one with a half decent instructor and 200 hundred rounds or less should be able to get you on a 15ā€™x15ā€™ target rather quickly at 7-10yards with 10 yards needed a bit more practice in some cases).
@Vincent24

3 Likes

Perfect, that is a GREAT class and they will teach you kinesthetic alignment shooting and DS fundamentals!
Many of my students have never fired a handgun prior to this class and feel SO much more comfortable around handguns afterwards.

Keep us updated as to how the class was afterwards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi
Class was pretty cool . Working on my level 2 qualifications, on the USCCA website.
Stay safe
Vince

3 Likes

Link? Sounds like an area of the site I have not bumped into yet. Sounds very interesting.

1 Like

Hi John
Its under protector academy, on your dashboard. Level 1 consists of hand gun safety and marksmanship and child firearm safety. Level 2 consists of conceal carry and home defense fundamentals and emergency first aid fundamentals. These classes are pretty cool and very informative. Each class is 4 to 5 hours long with tests in between.
These classes were part of my elite membership. Starting level 3 and final classes!!! Have a good day Vince

1 Like

THANKS Vince. I will see if I can find them. I saw all the ā€œregularā€ classes, and even some free seminars, but must have missed the video portion. Appreciate your information!
John

1 Like

Want to thank you again Vince, I did find the classes. I started going through them, seems to make you start with VERY basic info. I think this is GREAT, and highly recommend for anyone new to firearms.

I am trying to find a way to view some of the more advanced classes without recapping all the basics. I have taken multiple firearms classes, a couple of them very advancedā€¦ 2 day courses, 8 hours each day with over 500 rounds fired during each days session. These classes through an Academy that trains the police and SWAT units in my state.
I am wondering if there is a way to move to the more advanced classes without going through the basics first. Please do not misunderstand me, I totally get the idea that it is great to go over the basics often, but I would currently prefer to bounce through levels that would be more applicable to my current training needs and applications.
Thanks,
John

1 Like

John
Just fast forward through the videoā€™s manually. Peace Vince

1 Like

I will give that a try. I dont want to disparage people from going through the courses. Just I have been shooting for over 50 years and have had many advanced classes recently so wnted to get a perspective on them vs what USCCA says. I do highly encourage new firearms owners to go through ALL the classes then find actual range training/practice.
Thanks again,
john

2 Likes

He John
I understand ,but you just need to run your own race. I have one more video to do today and have completed all 3 levels of the training.
Vince

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. Between covid, taking on line classes with Hillsdale College, work on the farm, and other chores and commitments time has been limited. I will keep after it. Thanks for the nudge.