Citizen's Arrest

Sorry, this is something totally different than what the original comment suggested and the law states.
If you break into my house and threaten my life, or attack me on the street and threaten my life, I am the one reacting in self defense, and if you break into my house and I catch you and aim a firearm at you, it does not grant you a claim of self defense, as you would be in the commission of a crime and potentially a threat to my life which is why the firearm is aimed and not fired…yet.

If a vehicle is being repossessed, it actually has ceased to belong to you and the bank, or lender, is recovering their property that was provided as collateral on the loan. Not exactly the same as the original comment suggested.

It was suggested that someone asserts a claim, and that suggests a claim on …… your wife’s purse, your watch, your credit cards, or a car jacking and your car.
A repossession has documentation, and a legal authority to retrieve the vehicle.

I will not dispute that the examples may reflect the law, as laws are written in English with Martian meanings.

4 Likes

Indeed.

If you think you might ever be involved in a situation where you exercise a citizen’s arrest, familiarize yourself with your state’s laws regarding that, and then only use it rarely and in extreme situations… and when it is very clear… such as a crime in progress and one in which someone is or may be harmed and you can stop it.
If in doubt as to the crime… a false arrest… unlawful detention… kidnapping… are charges you really do not want to monkey with.

4 Likes

Indeed!

I’ll leave arrest to the police but if this (scenario event) individual threatens my life…I’ll leave death between that person and the Lord…

4 Likes

I would suggest avoiding comments such as

as they can be used against you.

I personally understand and have no problem with it or many others, but today, there are lawyers, prosecutors, who refuse to deal in the law and only seek to punish the law abiding and release the criminals.

5 Likes

It’s good advice you give considering that prosecutors look for this kind of language to use against a defendant in a court case.

4 Likes

Indeed.

The sad thing is…

Many of us have used words like

Win their hearts and Minds or Burn their Huts Down.
Kill them all and let God sort them out
Trespassers Found Here at Night, Will be Found Here in the Morning
Rather be Judged by 12 Than Carried by 6
Death by Traumatic Lead Poisoning
and
There are very few personal problems that can not be solved by a suitable application of High Explosives.

And many others… and they are all in jest and fun natured…

But today, far too many seem to have their heads where they need a proctologist to examine it… and those jokes are not considered jokes anymore.

Yes, they look for those kinds of words, even if they are in no way connected to the situation.

It is sad the country has gone so far down the rabbit hole.

4 Likes

I agree, and have some other lines to add to your list, but the CYA policy is always in effect. I will say that those with their heads stuck up their backsides can’t see anything but darkness or smell anything but…you know😉 They should pull em outta there

5 Likes

I prefer ACUTE lead poisoning. It sounds less intimidating.

3 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Funny, until a prosecutor who is literate points out that acute means severe, unless we’re talking about triangles.

3 Likes

Medically, acute means severe and sudden onset as opposed to chronic which means lasting a long time, usually in excess of 3 months.

3 Likes

Funny, until a prosecutor who is literate points out that acute means severe

exactly what I said.

2 Likes

I like that one.

Acute lead poisoning.

Like with many things, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

I had a friend of mine when I was crazy enough to consider jump school… who said it is not the fall that gets you.

It is the Sudden Deceleration Trauma.

Acute lead poisoning gets my vote.

4 Likes

Yes severe but sudden onset, close to the speed of sound! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I consider this one of my great personal failings. I am HALO and HAHO certified. Have jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft dozens of time.

But I can’t ski for the life of me. Not snow or water. Just can not do it.

3 Likes

I’m reading this old thread with interest given what we’ve seen in Georgia. Have any opinions changed one way or the other?

2 Likes

No……

No change

3 Likes

By interpretation of GA. law this really doesn’t change my views at all. I believe the men in the case acted illegally. I think that the 2 men are guilty of very serious charges as it relates to the death of the young man. More information may develope later that changes that opinion.

I do find it interesting that he went from out for his daily run, to being captured on camera somewhere he probably shouldn’t have been. I only mention that as both parents and media painted this as him being an athlete who was out for his daily run.

4 Likes

Based on ‘interpretation’ of Georgia law, there is far too many variables.

The charge ‘Aggravated Assault’, might not fit. It requires an intent that may not be present.
The murder charge, might be better as a ‘Manslaughter’ charge.

There does not appear to be intent to kill, nor any actual intent to cause bodily harm, it seems per the little evidence we have to be something that got out of control and led to a death, an unjustified death, but not murder or aggravated assault, per the words of the Georgia law.

3 Likes

This has got to be the ballsiest of all citizens arrest stories: June 2014

3 Likes