CCW while masked in the time of covid19

Here is a good article on the subject for Florida. No, it’s not illegal to wear a face mask in Florida
As with most laws, it appears that it is illegal with intent to conceal your identity. And, when there is an old law that conflicts with a new law, they must be read with the presumption that the lawmakers are aware of the old law. If in direct conflict, the new law applies. If there are ways to comply with both, then you might need to walk the tightrope but that does not appear to be the case.
I should also note that the cited Florida law has universal application and is not directed to persons carrying weapons, open or concealed.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Jeffrey83. I would like to agree with you and agree on a personal level. There are enough opinions on both sides of the medical aisle that agree and disagree with us. Someday, I hope we will know what really should have been done and we learn from this experience, but, with diametrically opposing views from many equally credentialed “experts” the question becomes what is the prudent response. With the economy reopening, I would rather proceed with some relatively benign restrictions then see the economy brought to its knees again.
However, we have several opinions out of the Kentucky federal courts, both the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky and the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, that have allowed churches to proceed with in-person services so long as methods prescribed by the CDC and/or state governments were otherwise being followed.
The US Supreme Court , on May 29, denied review of California’s ban on in person church services.
While people may look back on this in 50 years and say it was ridiculous or wrong, just like internment of Americans of Japanese descent during WWII, only time will tell.
Below is a link to another thread that I responded to with respect to the Tenth Amendment and the “Police Power” held by the states to enact laws for the general health and welfare of the people.

1 Like

Well, that may be where my agitation really sources from… “…held by the states to enact laws…” Many of the actions taken across the country aren’t laws. They are mandates, orders, opinions, edicts, etc. made by mayors and governors who essentially gave themselves “authority” to enact whatever they wanted by declaring an emergency. To my knowledge, very few actions have gone through the legislative process to become a law. And frankly, this “pandemic” has proven that there needs to be a serious rework of emergency powers, because these folks can, and have, destroyed millions of lives with their knee-jerk decisions.

Addressing the medical experts opinions and actions taken by “leaders”, if hundreds or thousands of people can be packed together in protests without any significant threat, there is zero threat for me going to the grocery store without a mask. You can’t have it both ways.

2 Likes

I agree! I take some extra precautions because my wife is in a higher risk group. Otherwise, I am not too concerned about what is going on with the pandemic.

I finally reached out to our son-in-law who is a police officer in Sacramento. His reply—the governor has directed the wearing of masks so any sort of mask worn when carrying concealed is a non-issue. If Kalifornia understands this, then any reasonable state should.

3 Likes

Hearing social media comments on this what’s the Wisconsin statute on conceal carry and wearing a mask?

2 Likes

I merged this with an already started topic, @Randyb. Hope you don’t mind.

Our legal guru has not found any WI statute that addresses wearing masks in public and nothing about carrying while wearing a mask. Some states are creating legislation for this due to COVID, but nothing for WI that we know of at this time.

4 Likes

I’m running into a rash of stores including the place I work where they are mandating a face mask. In my state (Florida) it is a felony to carry concealed with a mask on. Am I subjecting myself to a felony charge to follow the guidelines and policy of the store I work at, and other stores I shop at, to wear a mask and to also conceal carry to protect myself?

2 Likes

Not sure about Florida, but in South Carolina the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) made a statement today that there was not any issues with a CWP carrier wearing a mask to protect from the spread of Covid.

4 Likes
3 Likes

It’s concealed carry because no one knows you have it. It’s your call just don’t print or advertise and carry on.

3 Likes

Thanks Mike have a blessed day brother.

1 Like

Good morning everybody,

Please don’t come at me, I’m still learning the rules and guidelines.

I have notice people posting this (apparently) age-old fear that if you carry you cannot cover your face.

I totally would understand that and have read in a few places that that is in fact a true guideline for conceal carry.

So my question is, is it illegal to conceal carry while having to wear masks in public during this pandemic?

I live in Florida. I didn’t see anything on the site specific to this situation and was wondering if any of you know.

Thanks

2 Likes

Great question, @TheLittleNiffer! And one many of us have had recently! I’m moving this to the current thread where masks while carrying is being discussed.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll go there.

2 Likes

For me I have my respirator and all my N-95 masks to my daughter because she works in a hospital. So I have alot of neck gaiters with all sort of things on them. So it’s sort of a darned if I do , darned if I don’t.

2 Likes

I live in Tempe Arizona. And with the question about CC while wearing a mask and was it legal to do so. I called the Tempe Police Dept. to ask them about it. and what I was told was it was fine to do so. But that I might be stopped and asked some questions about it. And told that some places that don’t allow guns it is still a no go. But otherwise it is legal to do it in Arizona.

2 Likes

Be sure to check the USCCA Reciprocity Map for the latest on the laws - including regarding wearing a mask while carrying!

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

3 Likes

Buzz ( I like that handle) you have hit on a key point here. We can fight back against unconstitutional gun laws, police being prosecuted for political reasons and crazy liberal prosecutors simply by serving on juries and not allowing these prosecutions to bear fruit. Jury nullification is legal but rarely discussed.

1 Like

The problem with common sense is it isn’t common. I’d hate to have my personal life dependent on an unknown individuals “common sense”

1 Like