Open carry with out permit

Arkansas open carry laws?
Must have permit for concealed carry not for open carry?
Arkansas State of Emergency Laws I can legally carry a concealed firearm in Arkansas, but can I wear a COVID 19 protective mask while carrying concealed?

Based on our most recent research, the USCCA has identified just two states with statutes against carrying a concealed firearm while wearing a mask: California and Illinois (although sheriffs and county prosecutors in Illinois have made statements indicating that wearing a mask to protect others from COVID-19 while carrying a gun isn’t illegal as long as the wearer isn’t wearing the mask while committing a crime). Due to the large number of inquiries, some states have publicly addressed their laws regarding wearing masks actually refer to individuals concealing their identity with the intention to commit illegal acts or to specifically hide their identity, and do not address wearing a mask while legally carrying a concealed firearm. Although we have not conducted an exhaustive search, we found no statute in Arkansas addressing masks. The Arkansas State Police made a statement confirming that, “there’s no statutes as far as restrictions as far as wearing a mask and carrying concealed.”

1 Like

Welcome to the family sister and glad you are here, god bless you.

1 Like

Hi Heather,
It’s hard to tell if you’re asking a question or passing along info.

2 Likes

Basically, it comes down to intent, IMHO. If you’re wearing a mask to hide your identity while committing a crime, obviously, illegal. Carrying legally while wearing a mask, no problem. Your not breaking the first element of innocence because your intent is not to commit a crime, just observe/follow the wearing mask rule.

3 Likes

@STurgisSTeele is correct on the mask issue, especially when it is an order.

Take note, though - under Arkansas law, if you are licensed to CC, you can not open carry. Strange I know and don’t ask me why.
The Arkansas Rifle and Pistol Assoc is working to have some of our languages cleared up.

3 Likes

I don’t believe Open Carry is a good idea when you are in the public. There your weapon is on your side where everyone can see it. If I want it I will take it. I may wait until you are in condition white all engrossed in a object you have picked up off the shelf and use something I picked up off the shelf and knock you in the head with it. No one can stay in condition yellow all the time. I have seen far to many people doing this. Even my son when he was as young as 12 told me the same thing when we would follow people open carrying in a store. Just some food for thought.

2 Likes

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the community!

Can you please point me to the research concerning California?

Thank you.

2 Likes

This is a conundrum I agree.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank your for the welcome much appreciated!

1 Like

Yes agree 100%. Thank you.

1 Like

I apologize & agree I seem to be doing both.

1 Like

Yes, you can open carry at 18 without a permit:

Shared with CloudApp

It is also a permit-less carry state for concealed carry.

With how quickly the mask requirements are changing, we do advise contacting your local police to double check the current laws and watch for any changes that may arise.

@Ferdinand1, check out this page for further links and resources re: California:

Shared with CloudApp

Does that help?

2 Likes

Perfect! Thanks, Dawn.