Carrying on School Property

So according to federal law it’s illegal to have a gun on school property and is a felony or something of the sort.
But AL law states, in 13A-11-74 subsections c and d:
“Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.
(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection © of this section is a Class C felony”. So does this mean that those who hold a permit are allowed to carry on school premises of they’re not a student of a public school? I’m asking for curiosity.

1 Like

I think it’s only going to change once it’s challeneged. Need a sucker to take it to trial. But, when the feds stack up 23 charges and threaten 25 years in prison, most people plea to probation and a felony conviction.

Anyone ever watch FPS Russia? He has an interesting story of how he ended ep serving 2 months in prison and having over $400,000 in guns confiscated. I didnt fact check his story though…

1 Like

On a side note, adultary (in Wisconsin anyways) is the same class felony as the guns on school property thing. It was funny when Milwaukees police chief (correction) Flynn got caught and admitted to having an affair.
Edit, not funny ha haa.

1 Like

Definitely. It’s really disappointing that everyone just avoids issues like that or just shrugs it off as no biggie
Just like the whole permit to carry thing is unconstitutional. It’s just a way for the govt to regulate gun rights in a passive way. There was a huge change in 2A rights after the 1800s and into the early 1900s. Not to mention this whole age of 21 crap to buy a handgun. But nobody has protested it or loud enough anyways and it needs to get taken all the way up to the Supreme Court and get them to say it’s a violation of 2A rights. Probably will never happen though.

1 Like

You can in Oregon if you have a CCW permit…

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central/prohibited-places

1 Like

The Federal Bill banning firearms on school property deliberately left openings in the wording of the Bill so that each State could modify it to allow exemptions.

In Michigan, to be “exempt” you need a CPL (CCW/LTC/Whatever abbreviation your area uses) AND to be open carrying unless you’re LEO. That doesn’t mean a school can’t ask you to leave/have you charged with trespassing.

3 Likes

I just got coerced into pleading guilty to 750.237a(4) - my only option to avoid trial for the original Felony charge for carrying concealed without license (was unaware that my valid and current FL CCW was no longer acceptable since I had changed residency to MI a year before). I had voluntarily revealed to a med student that wanted to check my abdomen in a clinic which is not a “hospital” or a “school zone”.
They confiscated the pistol and I cannot apply for MI CPL for 8 years. Sentencing on Jan 30 - they will likely clip me for $2000 and 6-12 mo probation. This all happened in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, where I was born and raised and I have no prior criminal record.

So now I am wondering if I have any recourse - any thoughts, advice appreciated

2 Likes

Wow! Not much to say here, get an excellent criminal defense attorney. You know you need to notify DMV when you change addresses for driver’s license, it’s the same everywhere same concept, you have to get a license for your state of residence. You’re very lucky you got off so easy. Here in IL you likely would have lost your Second Amendment Rights for lifetime.
Bringing a firearm to a medical facility you know different. Your in MI a year as stated, I’m amazed. You did not have a valid or current license living and residing in Michigan and your license is issued for Florida. I’m sorry for your situation but it was completely avoidable.

Who is this clown?

If you’re referring to Robert8 he’s a respected USCCA member. I’m sorry for your situation but you created it. Educating one’s self about State firearms laws is a must if you intend to carry.

2 Likes

Yeah ok I’m lucky I didn’t lose my 2A rights for life…seriously?

The MSP site does say that changing DL establishes residence for applying for MI CPL - with a 6 month waiting period ! The 6 month wait will be “waived” if one has a carry license from another state, but it says nothing about getting a MI DL immediately voiding it - where is this posted? And I am still registered to vote in FL.

1 Like

Man I’m sorry this happened to you. I can’t imagine how hard that would be to lose your CCL for 8 years because legislators aren’t clear… :pensive:

1 Like

Well for background @steve70 IL has judges especially Will county and above so Will, Cook, Kendall, Lake, DuPage in other words collar counties of Cook that have judges who would love to take people’s constitutional rights away. Personally I know two people who have lost lifetime rights. One, a friend, Two, the lady who did our house cleaning. So there you go kind Sir. Michigan specifically is one of the few states who has the requirements that you need a Michigan Concealed Carry License for Michigan not a visitor’s license. Florida allows this but Michigan does not. You as a responsible gun owner have a responsibility to keep up with laws that have to do with guns. Steve70, again I’m sorry but your lawyer will tell you and I’m sure you have heard the phrase throughout your life that ignorance of the law is not an excuse. You are obligated to know Gun laws if you want to continue to carry a firearm. You stated that your move to Michigan was a year ago Sir, unless you are on extended vacation that’s a permanent relocation. You started your original posting asking for thoughts I believe. You said your appointment was not a school and not a hospital appointment but it was a medical facility where you were seen by a medical professional albeit maybe a Physician’s Assistant ? or an intern but I’m betting somewhere in that place there was a M.D. present. You have to get the services of an attorney who specializes in Second Amendment cases and be willing to accept the judges decision whatever they are on as you stated January 20th. God Bless you Sir, I wish you well.

2 Likes

In Oregon, having a CHL means you can carry in Public School, Concealed that is…

1 Like

But the conversation is Michigan and not about Schools, it’s about a medical facility and medical professionals.
@Orpackrat

Contact Michigan Open Carry. They’re attorneys are about the only real experts on Michigan’s Firearms Laws. It sounds to me that you were coerced because clinics are not hospitals, which means no felony. I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure that trespassing was the worst charge they could have nailed you with, until you took the plea deal. Seriously get ahold of Michigan Open Carry immediately.

One thing I like about Oregon, if a private business says gun free zone and such, it does not carry the force of law. If discovered, most they can do is ask you to leave and if you don’t, then its trespassing.

That’s why I love my NAA mini revolver in 22wmr.

That’s the same in most states. A private business can put those signs up all they want, you’re carrying concealed so what they don’t know won’t trigger them. But as you said, if they ask you to leave (for whatever reason really, not just carrying) then you must comply or you could get a trespassing charge.