Carrying in stores

Gives the lib crowd a warm fuzzy feeling. You have to remember how important feelings are to snowflakes!

3 Likes

Hi Burdo,

You state: “If a business places that sign up, to me, what they think they are accomplishing is preventing an accidental firearm injury or fatality”.

This is unfortunite, but I think they just have a huge dislike of firearms. If you would try to have a civil conversation about it with whoever posted the sign you would see it immediatly.

It is proven that these criminal free zones are more dangerous and for the most part when the posters are confronted with this, it is rare to see positive changes, in fact you may be confronted with hostility.

Although it is rare, some people are so fixated with this anti2A sentiment, that there have even been confrontations with business owners their personell and uniformed law enforcement.

4 Likes

I hear you , I can see how behind the sign, the owners can have some deep rooted opinions affecting their decision. I agree how confronting them is not the best way to create change, but rather instead, through education, and exemplifying being responsible. Cheers mate.

2 Likes

For some they could be trying to simply shift liability. I have no idea if they do or not but it would not surprise me to find out an insurance company charges higher premiums if not posted.

It is the same reason employers say for employees to not try and stop robberies at a convience store, etc. Without the policy to not intervene, an employee could say the business is liable if they get injured trying to prevent it. Not saying it is right. Just trying to share maybe a little different perspective.

As I read on another post or article
you have to know the environment where you are and how the general population there feels about guns. I would much rather have to defend my self defense actions in Texas than California. you are much more likely in Tx to get a more sympathetic jury.

3 Likes

Hi Burdo,

I dont know if you will ever change the opinions of the anti 2A crowd, however I would only have discussions that were positive in nature.

2 Likes

Yes. I was wondering about the legal influences on business as well as the local culture. Great points all around, I think.

1 Like

I’m telling you from personal experience contacting these business owners and letting them know it’s costing them money will get some businesses to remove the signs. In the seven years we’ve had concealed carry in my state I have approached seven different businesses about removing their signs. I have since come to find out I was not the only one doing so. Of the seven businesses, four took their signs down, two went out of business and one kept their “no gun” sign in place.

3 Likes

I have only come across two establishments that I had enough interest in that had the sign. Polite conversation and discussion of financial loss turned both around.

3 Likes

I’m not saying results were immediate except in one instance. But when I run into a business with “no gun” signs I encourage my concealed carry friends to also pay them a visit. Eventually most of the businesses get the message. I don’t believe many businesses in this day and age are doing well enough they can afford turn customers away. When they come to realize the level of clientele making the request and that we’re not just gun toting gangsters, it becomes a little easier lift.

I believe the image is slowly starting to change with the gain in popularity of concealed carry but to most of the non-gun owning public the image of a “gun carrier ” was of one who lived on the edge of the law. This group (USCCA) knows that is absolutely not the case

As an Illinois resident George98 knows some businesses are mandated by law to post “no gun” sign. IE. Restaurants with 51% liquor sale. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about those except through a change in legislation😟

3 Likes

State Rifle Assoc. came up with these right after the law changed in Illinois. We are leaving them with front line workers and asking that they pass them to management. Like you say not immediate but does get their attention.

no business

1 Like

I found these cards online and as I was allowed to choose the gun type/model on the card, this is what I chose.
When I go into a business I request the manager or owner if they’re available. That way I get to speak directly to the decision-maker😉

2 Likes

Appreciated. I admire those who can engage business owners, in civil conversation. I imagine it takes good knowledge, and skills in this area, which I hope to gain over time.

Perhaps being carefully selective. One such store who posted “the sign” is very convenient for me; It’s part of a large chain, they have me registered on their files as a customer, and a relative of mine works there.

I thought I saw an article in USCCA’s magazine from the January, 2021 issue, which also talked about carrying in stores, and the “no firearms sign”. I looked at that issue again but just could not find the article. If anyone knows what page it’s on, please post it here, and I’ll read it again. Thanks all. Very thought provoking. :slightly_smiling_face:

Burdo,
The large chains can be a little problematic unless they are a locally owned franchise because quite often the manager is doing what the corporation itself has requested. But you never know, go in asked to speak to the manager or the owner and make a request. In all likelihood others have been in before you with the same request and if enough people go in maybe they will change their policy.

As a side note, when I’m going in to speak to these people I always try and dress a little nicer( business casual) because first impressions mean a lot.
It’s something I always do when I leave the house with a firearm strapped to my hip. There are several reasons behind this as my retired law-enforcement girlfriend reminded me. But If dressing a little nicer keeps a law enforcement officer from throwing me to the ground at the scene or possibly keeps another concealed carrier from accidentally shooting me, it’s worth it (perps don’t usually wear nicer looking clothes). I don’t spend a lot of money on clothing. I won’t wear collared shirts or sport-coats unless they comes off a sales rack someplace. I’m too hard on clothes to wear expensive clothing but in today’s society just wearing a collared shirt dresses you up over most people wearing a T-shirt. Besides I found a short sleeved collared shirt with button front to be cooler in the summertime than just a plain cotton T-shirt which doesn’t allow air to circulate as well around my body.

Good luck in your endeavor and never hesitate to give it a try. After all they can’t eat you, all they can do is tell you NO! :rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Thanks Doug. That some stores have taken their signs down after talking is really great, we are indebted.

I liked the dressing up and over idea, for if/when we speak with a business, but as you shared, in case of such an “armed usage” emergency. Would make for a super ‘topic’ in an of its own.

Yet another valuable subject, is 'helping two responsibly armed individuals maintain safety among each other’, for safely identifying each other as “friendlies”, not foes. :blush: :innocent:

As you take more firearms training, and tactical firearms training, you will be taught that communication is key. When my girlfriend and I train together we are constantly communicating letting the other know our status “reloading”, “covering”, “moving”, “I’m clear”. People are not mind readers, particularly in a stressful environment, so communication is a must. The same thing goes if you happen to be partnered with an unknown Concealed carrier, identify yourself immediately. Start communicating with them from the beginning and even if they’re inexperienced they will probably catch on fairly quickly as to what it is you’re doing

6 Likes

Probably depends on what state. In Illinois, they carry the force of law.

2 Likes

@Michael854Welcome to our community’s conversations

Welcome Michael854

Georgia is the same as Alabama. If they ask you to leave, than you must leave. Failure to obey their wishes for you to leave is a trespass charge only. If not, the signs are only to dissuade you.

If you want to carry at church, you must ask the pastor and/or the board. If they grant permission, than you can carry during services. If not, you need to leave it outside the church (Home, locked in car
).

Uh OH! and everyone that works there knows me too!

1 Like