Carrying a Concealed Long Gun NC

Hi,

is it legal to carry a long gun like a AR-15 with a 16" barrel in a bag concealed in public without a CCW Permit in North Carolina?

5 Likes

No, long guns are not legal to conceal. I don’t believe any state provides for that. There are some exceptions when hunting in inclement weather, whereby you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather. An AR-15 pistol, as it is a handgun, would be legal to conceal. Pistols are required by federal law to have barrels of less than 16". So you could have a barrel just shy of 16" on your pistol, it would be rather unwieldy and difficult to conceal, but still legal.

5 Likes

What if you use a violin case :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Is there another way? lol

5 Likes

That’s a pretty sweet setup. So many “musicians” back in those days… Nice!

5 Likes

I believe you might end up playing a different tune… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a NC Instructor and the answer is no you can not. You can’t even carry a Self Defense knife (like an assisted opening knife) concealed in your pocket in NC, it has to be open carried (clip just inside your pants pocket but visible). The Concealed Carry permit is ONLY good for handguns, period.

2 Likes

Hi good morning everyone I was wondering if you are allowed to have and store long rifles in your vehicle in the state of Illinois I’m not sure, I know that my country is being invaded from other countries and I just want to protect my family and coworkers if the need comes up in the future

I am going to go out on a limb and say No.
@Jerzees will give you the definite answer

2 Likes

The first and most important question is… What is the model of the rifle and if required, did you register it?

Ok thanks for letting me know I hate Illinois

1 Like

Nothing to hate. There a worse states… :wink:

1 Like

My biggest goal is to move out of Illinois State and go to a red state that is affordable The kind of state with good morals and values

I was looking for the correct answer, but this is something what we, responsible firearm carriers, must interpret with common sense.

I’m guessing you are Illinoisan and have valid CCL so you can legally keep your firearm in the car.
However the Illinois Concealed Firearm Carry Act clearly says:
a person who is issued a valid concealed carry license is permitted to keep or carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle

So you have to decide by yourself - can your rifle be considered a concealed firearm?

1 Like

Transport Your Firearm: Legally Commonly Asked Questions:

However, the above brochure fails to include that Illinois actually does legally allow IL CCL/Carry Permit holders to carry a “loaded” handgun on their person within their vehicle.

Protect Illinois Communities Act, Regulation on Assault Weapons:
https://www.isp.illinois.gov/Home/AssaultWeapons

Identification of assault weapons, as defined in the recently enacted Protect Illinois Communities Act:

Illinois: Personally I don’t condone leaving a firearm in a vehicle (unsupervised), but on one’s person (of course – when legally able to). But if one must briefly in their vehicle, please lock it up very secure. With recent change of laws, I had to make sure what I owned was still legal, and I even had to register a self-defense item I own, in order to remain legal. I have recently learned more about the value and use of mace/pepper spray, as complementary SD CCW.

Thank you so much for the update I really appreciate it

1 Like

WV. I can assure you that it isn’t NC anymore.