Carry Piece for Coyotes in Urban Area

My 67-year old sister, who lives in Santa Fe, sent me a video of four coyotes playing in the ditch next to her house. It was taken with her Eufy security camera. As you can see, they are REALLY, REALLY fast.

My sister walks 3-5 miles every morning on trails near her house. She has no CCW permit, but lots of firearm training at Front Sight. While she’s a good shot, I doubt whether she could hit a coyote moving as these did in her video. Not exactly paper targets at a range.

Does she have anything to fear from a pack of coyotes? She is afraid to carry for fear of violating city ordinances banning discharge of a firearm and no CCW.

She does not want a CCW permit or lug her Walther PPQ in a holster on her morning neighborhood walk. Should she pocket carry something and ignore the city ordinances?

2 Likes

Rabies

2 Likes

If your sister walks at the morning, she won’t see more than single coyote. And single coyote is not a danger to adult person. Coyotes attack when people create danger to their pups.
Simple like that. Just avoid, if cannot, make the noise. It really works.

5 Likes

If anyone advises you to break the law, run, don’t walk, run away.

That tape needs to be shown to animal control!

3 Likes

It’s New Mexico. There is no animal control.

3 Likes

You don’t run away from coyote … it make situation worse. Running away from coyote gives it a signal you are weak and easy target.

And please… give the coyote chance to live as it has probably been their territory before humans build their houses there.

I live in incorporated area among the wildlife. These animals were here long before me and both sides understand this. We live in peace… :fist_right: :fist_left:

3 Likes

Carry a stick. A big stick.

5 Likes

Coyote attacks on people are incredibly rare. I wouldn’t let a young child play outside alone in the dark in an area with coyotes but I don’t think twice about walking around in places with coyotes.

Domestic dogs are a much bigger threat. I carry pepper spray for domestic dog and deranged human protection.

7 Likes

Interesting side fact. Coyotes didn’t exist East of the Mississippi River until after the 1930s or 40s. Once the Eastern wolf populations were largely removed they were able to rapidly expand their range East where they are now common. Along the way they interbred with the last remnants of Eastern wolves which is why Eastern coyotes are noticeably larger than Western coyotes.

7 Likes

She could carry bear spray. Effective on two-legged critters, too.

5 Likes

One coyote will lure a dog to chase it, lure it to it’s pack, then they jump it. Unless something is wrong with them, they will leave people alone. I watch coyotes from my porch when they come by in the morning. It’s not every morning, but frequent enough. They never come mess with me. They just look over and keep moving… that doesn’t mean I let my guard down though.

6 Likes

I used to carry mace for protection from dogs until I found myself choking in a mace cloud and a pissed off dog.

5 Likes

Always get the gel!! Also, knowing wind direction is paramount lol

5 Likes

I don’t understand the logic of not wanting a CCW if we’ll trained?
Cool video, uncool carry practice!
Why no CCW when the human population is just as dangerous?
If I’m right, isn’t Santa Fe open carry?
Open carry with a Walter PPQ is surely going to go unnoticed at that time of day, the permit will allow discretion when the sun rises!

4 Likes

I was not suggesting, running from coyote. Run from idiot!

4 Likes

:love_you_gesture:
Yeah… Sorry, I didn’t catch it… :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

There may be good reason to be fearful. Being seen so close to housing may indicate they have overcome their natural fear of humans. This frequently occurs when people have been feeding them. Children are more at risk than adults - especially kids carrying their school lunch in a sack. I recommend carrying a very loud whistle - the more shrill (high pitched) the better. Also, a useful tool for repelling two-legged predators. If the whistle doesn’t work, there is always pepper gel, and as a last resort, a big stick.

5 Likes

She might want to look into an Attwood Signal Horn,which is used on small boats without horns. It’s heard sometimes at sporting events. It’s very loud and carries the warning “DO NOT SOUND NEAR EAR.”

5 Likes

Had an Eastern Coyote cross a trail 10’ in front of me one day, looked at me with that spooky grin but didn’t break stride.Came upon a family of Ruffed Grouse right after that, and thinking the coyote had their scent,but it kept going. Any healthy ones I’ve seen are quite aware of my presence and take off. Had a rabid(?) one in the road one day while bicycling. I didn’t want to pass it as I worried about what I term"chase reflex" so it was a staredown until a car blocked for me. Started carrying on the bicycle after that.

6 Likes

Is she willing to take a spin on the roulette wheel of the Justice?

I also would not advise her to “pocket carry” without a good holster or at least a trigger guard.

Why is she against a CC license?

4 Likes