Coyotes Defense

I’m not sure where this should be but after several neighborhood sightings of coyotes in packs roaming through our streets we’ve become a bit more vigilant than usual. Shooting an attacking coyote could be really dangerous for people or the animals being attacked. What are other options other than pepper spray. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get that but I want something more reliable.

2 Likes

That’s a decent pack for what looks like a somewhat suburban area. I would think that maybe like raccoons and other pesky animals that they are hungry, looking for easy trash meals and possibly small animals to eat. Tho I’ve never really heard of a coyote going out of its way to attack someone, I can see walking to a trash can and running across a dog and it’s meal. That could be a sticky situation. Besides carrying a pistol, other alternative may be to prevent a altercation. Pest deterrents such as sour scent that I think you may be able to buy at places like Walmart might be a good option. I would advise not to place poison out there, just for the fact if someone’s pet got into it, that would not be ideal. Proper placement of pest deterrent would atleast keep them away from you and your household. Pepper spray if for whatever reason they get close, would ward off any coyote. Most coyotes I’ve seen in the wild usually were more scared of me and proceeded to keep distance. If they are patrolling the urban living areas, they may be less hesitant to keep distance, but a good shot of bear mace, something that reaches out a good ways would be a smart move. Paint ball guns loaded with pepper spray is something I’ve seen a logger use. But, as always, a good pistol loaded with the right load for the last resort.

2 Likes

It’s called Eradication. Find where they live and and kill them. If you cannot do it then complain to the City Official’s and get them to hire a professional. If they have a den near by they can be trapped or shot.
If they are finding enough food to feed the young the pack will grow and become more of a problem.

3 Likes

I think I am getting all these different threads and conversations mixed up. Are we back to Antifa with this advice of yours, or are we on to some other subject. In my old age I might have missed something.

2 Likes

It works for many species.

1 Like

This is Arlington Texas, a very large city. We live right next to a wildlife preserve along the Trinity Tiver. Bobcats are all over too and protected by law. I’m not certain if coyotes are protected.

Not too long ago there were incidents of coyotes attacking people in a city just north of us. One person shot and killed one. Many small pets have disappeared over the years. We lost several cats. We no longer let our last cat out of the house and grab him when he manages to slip by. We never let out dogs out without standing near by. But a couple of weeks ago a coyote walked right in front of our Shitzu and she didn’t even notice it. The coyote didn’t seem to notice either so I immediately call her back up the hill. It wa on the side yard. I was in the back yard but there was a picket fence between them. Only 4’ high. Lucky.

2 Likes

Yes, this is happening in many places without much recourse. I had a raccoon problem because my next door neighbor, she is 83 was feeding at night to watch the wildlife. After the coons ripped open the screen on the back porch to get at the dog food I went on the warpath and took out 7, problem solved. I also got my neighbor to stop feeding for a while. :angry:

1 Like

Neighbors need some high powered pellet guns.

1 Like

Just be aware Coyotes can be aggressive and are losing the fear of humans in some cases. Wife was “dog sitting” a friends 6 lb dog a couple years ago. She was walking him in our back yard when a very large, very aggressive coyote came out of the woods and proceeded to advance toward her and the little dog. She retreated back to the house and there was no bad outcome but it did rattle her. Two days later a .357 from my Henry rifle resolved the problem permanently. Around here ‘Yotes have interbred with dogs and they are much more brazen and larger than I’d encountered in the past. This guy was as big as a large German Shepherd. Be careful

3 Likes

4 Likes

I will start with a “No $h!tter” and will make the point of an option at the end.

SO I get a call from my Aunt who lives in BFE N.C. she had lived in town for many years but had recently built her own home on some property surrounded by farms and fields. My Aunt is a VERY practical woman and after having her three previous homes and two businesses almost destroyed by flooding from Hurricanes she built herself a “Tree House” which is essentially a one story ranch on top of an 18’ tall “basement” ON TOP of the ground. I had gone down to see her for it’s opening and we were sitting on the south deck (the whole house is surrounded by deck) at night and she asked what the noise in the woods was. I looked at her figuring it was a sucker question but she was serious. “Coyote’s, they smell your chickens.” “We don’t have Coyote’s here!” “Well my hearing sucks but that’s a damn fine impersonation of one if you ask me.” We spent the rest of the night yukking it p and drinking.

About three months later I get the a fore mentioned call. “Those damn coyotes killed all my chickens and half my goats and I haven’t seen Scratch, Etsy or Bagel in a week (yard cats) . You’ve got to come down and help me!” She had married a shrimp boat Captain and I had an ideeer. I told her I needed a pile of guts (preferably in 5 gal buckets) , any kind of guts, cow guts, shrimp guts, fish guts whatever, decaying flesh that stinks to high heaven. My initial plan of course was to kill over bait (this wasn’t hunting this was straight up killing). That worked rather well for the first day and well into the second and coyote tails were collected, and bodies were added to the “gut pile”. Things simmered down and late in the day I shot one that just as I touched the trigger decided to change direction and the round went through both hips. You can replay the “Comanche Cave” scene from Quigley Down Under to get an insight as to what happened next. The light was fading and I sat back and listened to them fight and the thought cam to me that they were getting shy of the gut pile but were not in the least afraid of going after a wounded one of there own.

The next day I got a shot at one in a fair clear spot in the field and poked him / her in the hips. Sure enough the pack came. In all there were about 12 of them, half of them hung back in the scrub watching while the other six came in to finish off the wounded one. In the ensuing fight three or four of them limped out with significant wounds the hangers back got on them. The “Victors” fought over the prize and more wounds were inflicted and they were consumed by the “watchers”. So for one shot I got 7 - 8 kills inflicted by the pack.

To the point of the thread a long barreled 22 (say 24 - 26", a Remington 513-T comes to mind) with subsonic ammo produces a “PHHHUT” after the “CLICK” and launches a 60gr boolit at a fair rate of speed for a distance of about 50 - 75 yards … food for thought and worth what you paid for it.

Cheers,

Craig6

Edit to add: Coyotes killed the first dog I ever remember having and they have a special place in my heart.

3 Likes

Not sure what can be done… but I have seen signs recently in my area… cash prizes for the largest coyote, and other varmints…

$25 entry fee I think.

Don’t have the time to go for it, and have not seen a coyote on my property in a while… grey foxes and raccoons… but no coyotes in almost a year… and so far no bears… but nearby.

Don’t think you can have a varmint hunt in town, but if the surrounding area has land and they are becoming a problem… it might be something to look at.

1 Like

@KillJoy I came up with this after some research. I know for a fact that yotes are scared $hitless of wolves and wolves will kill them on sight, I have personally seen yotes disappear from an area when wolves move in. :+1:

Coyote Repellent | Wolf Urine for Coyotes | PredatorPee Store

](https://www.predatorpeestore.com/coyote-problems-wolf-urine.html)

Wolf P-Cover Wolf Urine Granules Big 64 fl oz … - Amazon.com

](https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-P-Cover-Urine-Granules-Size/dp/B07SLLWS5D)

1 Like

Just don’t dribble
:crazy_face:

1 Like

Shouldn’t the Acme Corporation have some good ideas?

4 Likes

Just get a road runner that’ll mess their day up! :pig: thats all folks!

4 Likes

4 Likes

If there are any kids or pets around I would be doing some predator control.

1 Like

In Texas Coyotes are not protected. Most urban areas can get assistance on eradication from Texas Wildlife Serviced by calling the main offices in Austin.

1 Like