Carry Cocked and Locked?

A LE officer who is a friend of my uncle, was once questioned as to the state of his .45 having the hammer back while holstered. “ Trooper isn’t that dangerous?” To know him adds humor to the reply, but nonetheless he retorted:
“ Hell yes it’s dangerous “

6 Likes

Hi Dawn, Thank you for the post and the link for the video. I have 2 non 1911s that I carry loaded and cambered ready to go. I recently picked up a Kimber 1911. I was not as familiar with the single action and that to carry it in the same manor as my other guns it would have to be with the hammer fully cocked. Seeing Kevin’s video gives me a better understanding of the safeties and the confidence to carry it correctly, cocked and locked.

2 Likes

1911’s just look funny if not in condition 1. That is how I carry mine.

Old joke.

Texas ranger is asked about his 1911 in condition 1, “are you expecting trouble?”

“No, if I was expecting trouble, I would be carrying my rifle.”

8 Likes

That is one of my favorite videos by the USCCA, @mtrclist. So many people have learned from it!

2 Likes

Was that Walker, Texas Ranger? It’s something I can totally see Chuck Norris saying!

3 Likes

I’m thinking Chuck would say “No, trouble is expecting me” :laughing:

4 Likes

I don’t know where I got the joke. I think it was on another forum discussing 1911’s and condition 1… So, I am being green and recycling jokes. :smile:

4 Likes

I guess I’m a bit of a “pretender” because I only wear my 1911 occasionally when I’m working RSO or at a few BBQ’s I attend with like minded 2A folks. It’s my “fancy” gun. But when I do wear it, it’s in condition 1,

2 Likes

“I don’t always wear my 1911, but when I do I carry condition 1.” Isn’t that the way the commercial went?

4 Likes

@Fred_G. That’s like the old joke about the little lady who was stopped by a patrolman. After telling she had a concealed carry permit, he asked if she were carrying right then. She proceeded to tell him where she was carrying, including her backup, the .45 in the dash, the .357 in the consol, and the shotgun and AR in the trunk.
“Lady, what are you afraid of?!”
Reply, " Absolutely nothing!"
Old, tired joke.

7 Likes

Fellow goes to prison. That night he hears numbers being shouted out. After each number came different amounts of laughter. He asks his cellmate what’s going on. It seems all the jokes had been told so often that they just assigned numbers to them. Our fellow thinks he’ll try his hand at it.
“32!” No laughter. “23!” Only groans. He looks to his cellmate for an explanation. “Some people just don’t know how to tell a joke!”

3 Likes

My Sig p238 is like a baby 1911. Even though I primarily have striker fired pistols (g19, g26, P365) I think I may try to carry my p365. Condition One in a belly band holster sounds like the ticket

2 Likes

9 Likes

Great add on too!

1 Like

Condition 0 for me, every day.

2 Likes

@Dawn @Zee @Bugleboy @David-CA everybody, please remind me again what the conditions are. I tend to forget things that aren’t spelled out for me. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Wild Rose, sorry, but is the freak out factor from people who do carry otherwise, but don’t understand the 1911 safeguards? Or just people who know it’s cocked and know nothing else?

I will admit that I came from the DA only police Berettas, and now carry a 1911. An adjustment at first, but after learning the gun, I am comfortable knowing that it won’t just “go off.”

And I like that it is slim and easy to carry.

1 Like

Here you go @Nancy!

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/no-condition-to-carry/

1 Like

One of my favorite pieces has a safety, a half cock, and will DA fire from half cocked. Maybe the best of both worlds…which ever way you want it. It just doesn’t have a grip safety.

1 Like

@Dawn thanks for the article. It explains conditions one thru 3, but doesn’t mention condition zero, which I’ve heard bandied about here. I can make a guess about what condition zero is, but I’d rather know for sure. Do you know what it is, or did someone just make it up? lol

1 Like