Car jacking defensive or aggressive jail or free

You are absolutely right @Kevin29! You really don’t know if they want you or your car. Or your car and no witnesses.
I used to joke after I retired from the SO about how as a LEO, you stop the threat, then administer first aid to keep em alive, get information from witnesses …
When your badge says retired, it is different. I am not taking prisoners and I do not generally intend on providing first aid to someone if I had to shoot them.
THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE!

4 Likes

Courts ruled that Law Enforcement is not required to administer first aid.

If you called for medical…You “would” do all you need to legally but might violate “your” department policy regarding protocol for the event.

I’m with @MikeBKY…I’ll just call 9-1-1- because I need to be worried about my surroundings.

5 Likes

And I will deny I ever heard you say it. :slight_smile:

Besides, with all the lawsuits even as you attempt to render aid, you might need to consider if you will be sued just for trying to help… as a former EMT, I knew I could not do more than my training, and good Samaritan laws only protected you if you did not try things you were not qualified to do. Call 9-1-1 and tell them to send a box, wagon, ambulance…

And, to add to my other comment, I knew of a case where two youths robbed a convenience store, the clerk gave over the money, no argument, and one of the youths turned at the door and shot her.

You never know. Best to always be prepared and alert.

3 Likes

I will call 911 @Kevin29 and tell them basics of what happened and that EMS is needed. I was an EMT some time ago and agree, you cannot go further than your training. KY has a Good Samaritan law but it is unconstitutional - KY Constitution - and it does not apply to people when they are doing it as their job. On the up side, unless you really screwed the pooch, most juries will favor the Good Samaritan in both criminal and civil actions as long as they are not reckless. I mean, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

3 Likes

Assuming you choose to let them have the vehicle or could not get to your gun fast enough there is one other alternative to consider for those in an area prone to carjackings. I installed a circuit in my vehicle with a toggle switch on the dash right near the steering wheel. If I flip that switch it will disable the engine after 30 seconds. If the carjacker flips the switch back nothing will happen - it is still disabled until a hidden key operated switch is used to reset everything. 30 seconds is enough time for the carjacker to get a safe distance away but not so far you can’t walk back to your vehicle after they have abandoned it.
On a side note when I was getting a new tire at Walmart the tire guy flipped the switch when he was pulling into their garage. A few minutes later I see them pop the hood and are hooking up a jumper battery as they think the battery is dead. I came out and ‘jumped’ the guy about why he was messing with that switch and explained why it wouldn’t start now :slight_smile:

3 Likes