Can you use Dirty Harry's Cannon for home defense?

Well not exactly Harry’s piece… I should have my CT permit next week and I have really fell in love with Magnums, specifically 44’s . I know its over kill but I would really like to purchase the following, once I’m good to go!

https://gun.deals/product/taurus-44tracker4b-m17-tracker-5rd-44mag-4-500-make-offer.

Would it matter to the courts what type of hand gun was used when protecting your family and home?

Mark

6 Likes

Welcome @Mark200!!

That looks like perfectly good bear and mountain lion medicine to me. Might be handy if you had a 300WM or 30-06 in the closet or a bunch of hiking stuff.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Nope, if you use reasonable caliber size for protection… I meant : no hand rocket launchers.
What matters - ammo type or sometimes manufacturer.

3 Likes

I don’t for see any bad guys laughing with that pointed at them… as long as you’re comfortable shooting it, and you know your limits with it.

5 Likes

And then there is always the .44 Special. :wink:

5 Likes

Sorry… couldn’t resist

10 Likes

Good laugh, thanks. :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t think it matters to the court, what matters most is your capabilities with such a weapon and can other household members safely use said weapon in the circumstances that it would be deployed.
My only other recommendation would be that you DON’T MISS! The court or the prosecutor may have a problem.
As a matter of fact I will have to back track a bit. I’ll have to refer you to “Deadly Force” Understanding Your Right To Self Defense by Massad Ayoob, chapter 13 Hardware Issues. “…the attacks on your choice of gun and ammo aren’t based on black letter law…the attacks come from trial tactics, not taught in law school…they’ll come from unscrupulous or sometimes clueless attorneys who are strongly motivated…

In opposition to that is the late great Lt Col Jeff Cooper founder of Gunsite Academy in his book “Principles of Personal Defense”.
“…the optimum defensive arm is the heavy-duty pistol…remember that it is as good as your ability to keep cool and shoot carefully…”

5 Likes

Thanks so much for all the replies and just found the Tracker for under $400!

https://gunprodeals.com/product/TAURUS-2440041TKR-TRACKER-MODEL-44-SINGLEDOUBLE-44-REMINGTON-MAGNUM-4-5-BLACK-RIBBER-BLUED

thanks again!

M.

3 Likes

Thank you Scott for your very informative reply, I will take heed, and must say while in up state NY camping, friend of mine let me shoot his 6.5" S+M model 29 44 mag, very expensive gun, was able to handle that ok, I know with the 4" barrel I’m looking at purchasing it will be kicking more than the 6.5" for sure…thanks again for your insight…

m.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @Mark200

Just be sure of what’s behind your target in case of over penetration. Or a miss. You are responsible for every round you fire.

Remember that self defense situations are usually very dynamic. Ask local LEO what type of ammo they use in off duty gun, and match that. Also invest alot of time and practice in combat reloads from moon clips.

4 Likes

Thank you Zavier, appreciate your input…

M.

1 Like

Not only a shorter barrel, but 34 oz vs 45 oz will make a big difference in recoil too… and only 5 rounds. If you like it, and are competent with it, go for it. I used my 44 for HD for a few months, but didn’t want to deal with the indoor blast, 6 rounds, and the 44 special offerings were usually pretty weak. I think now a days there are “short barrel” mag loadings that might work well for HD, or even some 44 spl +P.

Additionally, I would be vigilant on making sure I wasn’t using hunting or bear loads e.g. soft point or hard cast, in the HD role unless you are in big bear territory or hunting. The hunting loads are often what you’ll see at the store.

1 Like

I hear ya Scotty, did a little research and talked with my local gun shop, I determined that .44 Mag ammo would probably be the choice for home defense. SP and JSP are suited to home defense to prevent over penetration in close quarters and HP or JHP are better suited for law enforcement and open areas for maximum effect.

M.

1 Like

CRAP! was just notified, they canceled pistol certification class scheduled for Sunday, I’m never going to get my hands on Taurus, she evades me!

M.

1 Like

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your response. 44 Mag SP, JSP and hard cast are NOT recommended for HD because of huge amounts of penetration (e.g. for bear or large game). HP and JHP, IMO, are better for home defense, and even then are usually geared for hunting (still lots of penetration)… That’s why I recommended short barreled 44 mag ammo options (hard to find), or at least ammo that the manufacturer suggests for home defense vs hunting.

1 Like

I think what many of us are trying to say is that’s alot of gun for SD or HD without the right ammo. As over penetration will be an issue. You are responsible for every round you fire.

Just train and get the right ammo.

1 Like

I’d downplay the cannon part. :wink:

1 Like

Somebody said it is the perfect gun for when the bad guy is hiding behind the refrigerator in your neighbor’s house across the street.

3 Likes

I guess the bottom line is, I should be shooting bears not intruders with the Taurus, 8) thanks Scott

M.

1 Like