California- Transfer of off roster handgun from out of state son

OK, did I just read that correctly? “add it to my CCW?” SO I Ca. you have to tie a CCW permit to your guns? Wow!

Yes in Ca you are required to qualify at a shooting range for each gun you carry and the description and serial #s are listed on the back of the CCW. They make it a different as possible

1 Like

I learned that you can ship a gun to California using shipmygun and not use a Texas FFL. The problem is if there is an issue with the paper work or background check, the FFL in California cannot return the guns back to Texas because an FFL was not used. Essentially the guns are stranded and the FFL in California has to surrender the guns to the Sheriff in which they destroy them. My local FFL in California can forward the forms that are needed for the transfer but I cant locate an FFL in the Houston area that will touch this transaction.

I know several people who have off-roster guns on their carry permit in CA.

2 Likes

Hey guys. So my brother in law and sister live in Oregon. If one of them were to gift me an off roster gun….how would I go about putting that on my ccw? FFL to FFL I’m sure but what’s the process? I’m looking at a Glock 19 Gen 5 or a Springfield Hellcat.

Thanks!

I just completed this process and received a Hellcat from my son in Missouri. The process is as follows:

• Locate an FFL in your area of CA who will agree to receive the firearm. This is not an easy thing to do. Gun stores do not want to do this, so your best bet is to find a firearms trainer with an FFL to receive the gun. Here is a link to the guy I used in Huntington Beach http://www.firearmstraining.com Send him an email and he will tell you what is required to complete the process in Ca
  • Your daughter will need to write a letter saying that she is gifting it to you. She should place the letter in the box with the gun. She then takes the gun to an FFL in Oregon and has them mail it to the CA FFL. You will have to pay fees to both FFL for this process. With all of the CA sales tax (yes you do have to pay our $#@ Governor his taxes) and fees I had to pay it added about $400 to the cost of acquiring the off roster gun.
  • After completing the 10 day waiting period, you can pick up the gun
  • Pay $50 to an instructor and get a Certificate of Training for the new gun
  • Apply for a modification of License to carry concealed firearm and send them the certificate. I sent mine to the OC sheriff in Dec. and am still waiting for an approval. They tell me in OC the process is taking up to 6 months.
1 Like

Same for SD taking forever even though they just upstaffed the Licensing Division.

Thanks for all the info. I’m getting ready to gift one to my mom. Should be easy enuff since she is just across town (minus the #!$#@!# Fees and Gruesomes Taxes)