CA Postal Carrier CCW info request

My best friend works as a postal carrier and I would like to know 1. If they are allowed to CCW through the normal requests and approvals and 2. If not can they request through the post office or other federal branch to be approved to do so.

1 Like

@Kenbo13 - welcome!

Your friend really needs to check with his employer. The federal government (and quasi-goernmental organizations such as the USPS) have their own rules, separate from state rules and regulations.

4 Likes

Happy birthday, @OldGnome!

Welcome to the Community, @Kenbo13! I agree with OldGnome. Have your friend check with his employer. They’ll have the details for him.

2 Likes

Thanks @Dawn.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

I’d be shocked if he could get his CCW for when working. PO’s are off limits for all CCW civilians. Employee or not prob makes no difference. The “going postal” situations in the past have happened by employees… So much so that it became a “thing”. The feds are probably a little skittish at this point.

3 Likes

Usual disclaimer here. I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, and I did not spend last night in a Holiday Inn Express.

See Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1. Except for employees authorized by the chief postal inspector or the inspector general, USPS ® employees are prohibited from possessing, carrying , or storing firearms while on duty, either on or off USPS property, and at any time on or within USPS property.**

2 Likes

Well there you go! You just have to get permission from the inspector general.

1 Like

That will never happen. The only people authorized are members of the USPS Inspector Generals office . Post Offices version of Internal Affairs and Police. They have authority over all mail. Sent through USPS.

2 Likes

I probably should have researched this a little more before posting but thanks for the insight. I did some research and of course yes he cannot carry while working as a postal carrier. I recommended to him to get in to the postal inspector service since he had experience in the USPS and had a degree is Criminal Justice but he claims he’s a little too old now. I told him to ask anyway. The reason I even posted this one because I saw a postal carrier was murdered in my city yesterday and I was scared for him. But he’s got to do for himself so I am just praying for the best thanks for all the responses. I have my answer. Thank you.

1 Like