Atlanta Georgia CCW and business policies regarding

The company manual states the following which to me is vague for a CCW holder… Please provide opinions.

“Employees who utilize “company” premises to bring personal property to the workplace. There are exceptions, however to the type of personal property that can be brought into the workplace, including but not limited to:

• Firearms, weapons, hazardous devices, hazardous substances, etc., unless specifically authorized by law.

Considering the last statement unless specifically authorized by law…. Does this mean a CCW carrier is authorized to carry since the law entitles a CCW holder to carry?

Thanks!!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mark716

I think this would be completely up to the interpretation of company management.

The best way to determine that would be to ask for clarification. Though you may not get the answer you would like.

You could also just carry under your interpretation of their rule which seems reasonable since you are allowed by law to carry in places that are not restricted. But if you are found to be carrying and they consider a firearm a forbidden item regardless of your license you could face termination. If you have anti gun coworkers they might also raise a stink and cause trouble for you regardless of what the policy intends.

This would be a tough call for me because I would prefer no one knows I am carrying so would be reluctant to ask management. But I also wouldn’t want to risk termination for misunderstanding the company policy. Maybe you can come up with a stealthy way to inquire without implying that you want to carry there.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Mark716 and you are blessed to be here.

3 Likes

I’ve learned when dealing with HR, assume the worst possible outcome and take that as policy. Remember, HR isn’t there to protect you, it’s there to protect the company.

11 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Mark716 .

Since the most of Company rules are created or verified by attorneys, I would ask attorney about the proper interpretation.
My first thought was same as yours… unless specifically authorized by law means if you are legally allowed to carry, you can carry.
@Shamrock got the idea, not everybody interprets things the same way.
If you don’t want to tell your employer that you are carrying, just tell, you are thinking about carrying in few weeks, months or so… They don’t need to know everything.
However, I’m hoping you will get a correct answer asking attorney, without notifying anyone else about your firearm.
Good luck !

4 Likes

Our say something like “no illegal or dangerous weapons.” when I asked about concealed carry it was more like “Don’t ask don’t tell”.

5 Likes

My last employer had a no firearms policy. I asked about leaving my firearm in the car and never got an answer. Wasn’t doing my commute unarmed, crappy area and working nights. 5 years I did “don’t ask, don’t tell.” Pretty sure a co worker was doing the same, but… didn’t ask, and he didn’t tell.
Had to draw once, not on company property but close to it. We kept everyone else out of it, 4 juiced up guys realized why I smile when threatened with death…

7 Likes

There is a sign at the door when I come into work. “For your safety no firearms or weapons allowed”

2 Likes

Can you say “Oxymoron”?

3 Likes

“The law, approved on May 14, 2008, dubbed the “parking lot bill,” prohibits employers from maintaining or enforcing a policy that bans concealed weapons from company property and significantly limits an employer’s right to search private vehicles of employees or invited guests.”

However…

"#### Rights of Employers

Any employer that owns property on which employees park their vehicles is exempt from the law and may restrict access to their property as a property owner. Accordingly, an employer may bar firearms from property it owns and search employees or guests in the same manner as permitted before the new law."

So…if the employer owns the parking lot, they can bar/restrict you from doing so. Now…I didn’t find anything regarding whether or not this law may have changed since governor Purdue signed it into law.

2 Likes

@Mark716 Welcome to the community.:us: :us: :us:

1 Like

Great question. I’ll re-visit to check out other comments/posts. Wish I had a better response. One of my pet peeves per se, wanting more rights for us carriers, and disdain for policies which are unclear, which can easily be improved with effort.

Double edged sword? No pun intended; If one asks them, one can risk back lash, being put in the proverbial black balled book, or shunned from advancement in the organization?

Be discreet, smart about it. Do they have firearm prohibited signs on their entrances? Are there no prohibitions in their parking lots as our peers here wrote about?

If one asks them to clarify their policy in writing, it could end up, not in your favor, ouch, a risk.

Wish there were enough employees there who appreciated the right, whereby the employer might give them said due respect in policy.

I was tempted to look up your state’s laws, but stopped short in thinking, most employers seem to be able to set their own policies no matter the law (which rarely enters the workplace when it comes to firearm rights, regrettably).

Wish you well in your work life.

1 Like

Human “resources”, you are a consumable!
Always loved the line…”including but not limited to”
means any damn thing for any damn reason!

Welcome aboard! Play it safe! Getting out of your job is easy, getting out of jail requires a whole new skill set!

3 Likes