Post Office Carry on the table

Post office firearms ban faces constitutional challenge (msn.com)

Parking down the street, disarming and securing your firearm in your vehicle as descretely as possible, unsecuring and re-donning your firearm in your vehicle, and hoping nobody broke your window and stole your firearm while you are in the Post Office could become a thing of the past?

Not holding my breath, but its a start.

20 Likes

Good news.

4 Likes

I’m confused on this one since a court found in favor of a postal employee who was carrying on the job. They found his 2A rights were violated. After that, it seemed the rules never changed.

Maybe a case of another federal agency ignoring the constitution and the courts that tell them to follow the constitution??

Florida judge rules ban on guns in U.S. post offices is unconstitutional.

14 Likes

Lots of 2A laws leave me confused! However, from the end of the article you linked:

“A recent Florida district court decision is being misreported or may be misinterpreted as holding that the Postal Service’s ban on carrying firearms — either openly or concealed, or storing them on USPS property — is unconstitutional. In fact, the case dealt with a different federal statute and does not involve the Postal Service’s regulation. Therefore, it does not change the organization’s policy.”

8 Likes

Thanks! I should thoroughly read the links I post! I had remembered the case as being 2A based, and when I want looking for an article to confirm my memory, didn’t fully read it. Appreciate that

7 Likes

I remember the old days when postal workers went nuts and killed coworkers over the stress of poor management. Now they engage in denying folks their rights to vote, dunno which is worse. That being said, I carry concealed, and that’s how I roll into the post office, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post office in a “nice” part of town. You can go into a bank carrying, you should be able to in the post office. What are you going to do, walk into a post office and yell “gimme all your ■■■■■■■ stamps, except for the ones with Obama on it!”? :rofl:

11 Likes

You should. The law against carrying on Postal Service property is 100% illogical and unconstitutional. But it is the law at the moment and the potential penalties if caught doing so are quite severe. Along with jail time they include potentially losing the right to own or carry firearms anywhere ever again.

6 Likes

Here’s an example of that law running into 2A rights. This building in down town Salt Lake City has a Social Security Office in it, it also has a gym a software developer and other private businesses in it. If I go there and get off the wrong elevator or walk down the hall am I going to federal prison?

10 Likes

This is a familiar scenario that I face daily in the " No Gun Zones" of terror in my City and yet… the coward Brandon Johnson that NO ONE voted for… except machines with the political machine blames the daily shootings on the streets /buildings/ stores wherever on the suppression of people. Now creating a victim fund! Never mind arresting the perps. Rule of law is no more.
The postal service as a of late has been robbed… mail is the new way of identity theft.

12 Likes

That is the insane thing. You can be legally carrying almost anywhere else but enter the wrong building, or even wrong parking lot with your firearm unloaded and locked in a case, and you face more possible jail time then a repeat felon robing someone at gun point is likely to get. Especially if that repeat violent offender is in CA or NY.

14 Likes

Welcome to the grand illusion, come on in and see what’s happening, pay the price, get your tickets for the show.

The illusion is that the 2nd amendment is still valid.

10 Likes

I’m blessed to live in north Idaho. I forgot to take off my gun(inside waist) and just walked inside the post office, waited in a fairly short line and when I got to the front line the clerk said Hi, 1911? I realized what I had done and started to apologize. He said no problem, everyone here carries. Did I mention that I’m blessed to I’ve in north Idaho?

12 Likes

I’d most likely be in a heap of trouble if I did that where I live. I park on the street and walk to the post office just to be sure I’m not caught parking on federal property.

4 Likes

Make sure your defense attorney is aware of your special dispensation!

6 Likes

Wait wait wait…I work in a government office, though the property is rented and not owned by the government but I digress…could this end up ending that as well? Or would it just apply to the post office? Snowball effect maybe?

5 Likes

I seldom “go to the post office” but when the need arises I just “go to the post office”.

5 Likes

As in this PO situation, IMO the ruling is crafted by the court based on the issues brought forward by the plaintiff. The ruling may be broad or focused on a single individual or point of law. Courts also have areas of jurisdiction affected by their rulings. It pains me that we are on defense all the time.

While I’m on my soapbox, I will remind everyone that this is a public forum and anything you say can be used against you in a future court battle you are in.

7 Likes

Makes sense. Honestly it seems like a lot of these end up tailored specifically for these situations but who knows. Maybe one day we’ll see these “gun free zones” chipped away at.

Good rule of thumb: Never assume privacy online or safety online. In fact, always just assume everyone can see it and it can be easily found.

8 Likes

I stated that awhile back and caught a lot of flack because as I was told what is posted on-line is protected by the 2nd, which is BS.

If someone is unfortunately involved in a justified self defense shooting they can plan on getting a colonoscopy of their background and all of their once social media posts by the person who was shot for medical loss’s or that persons family a wrongful death lawsuit.

After which the person who has lawfully defended themselves will have not only the emotional damage from taking a life they will face being cleaned out by either lawsuit.

In think this is one of the reasons those who have lawfully defended themselves have a high rate of suicide.

Lucky for I Florida prohibits such lawsuits from being filed.

6 Likes

AMEN! You are a true believer. Some may be protected by law but certainly not all.

4 Likes