California Carry at Work Laws - UPDATED

I have searched all over for a good breakdown of California Carry at Work Laws. All I have found is that your employer must post a “No Weapons” sign, and that a simple “No Weapons” clause in the employee handbook isn’t necessarily adequate.

My employer has no signs posted and the only mention of weapons in the handbook is they have the right to search employer owned property for contraband that includes weapons.

With that info, do I take the “Better to Beg for Forgiveness than ask for Permission” since they can not search my person. My Boss also is aware that I recently got my CCW and said nothing about not carrying at work.

Does any one else in California have experience with this?

UPDATE:
Thank you to all for the input!

I definitely don’t want to break any laws or risk my job. I was looking for confirmation that I was good to carry with the information I had to this point. I am just worried if I ask Human Resources for permission they will say “No” and put a policy in place to prevent it.

1 Like

I would never want to be a test case, some lawyers earn their wings on comments like that. How would your boss know about your CCW?

Welcome to the world of should I or shouldn’t I.
Memorize your local city and state laws, ordinances and statues.
Then again concealed means concealed!
I’ve carried legally for years everywhere except the post office, court house, schools and bars.

2 Likes

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/

The first 8 of my 16 hours of training took place on a Friday. When I requested the time off I told him why I was going to be out. He had no issues with it.

He is a gun owner himself, but doesn’t have a CCW. Although is considering applying.

2 Likes

We have a line in the policy book that says something like “in accordance with local ordinance…” or something like that. I went straight at the president of our branch and asked, he smiled and said “The State Law has a clear list of restricted areas, our office isn’t on that list…”. He did however ask that I not advertise that I may or may not be carrying.

4 Likes

Welcome @Huskerjeff ! Don’t leave your gun in your work desk drawer. I hope they didn’t mean “search employee owned property”, this right they most definitely do not have.

This wasn’t necessary. Let concealed stay concealed.

2 Likes

This month has had some of the best and thought-provoking questions I’ve seen.

Makes me wonder about my own state. I already know where my employer stands.

I guess some depends on how badly one needs that job, and if they want to advance. Even college courses tried to tech me “power and politics are everywhere”, especially at work.

State culture and belief system may flow into a company.

If it were allowed at work, I’d be most careful not to let an employer or coworkers find out – word spreads fast.

To me, it has to have the backing of HR Personnel, and one’s supervisor. I would not worry that asking would create restrictions, because I’d need their blessing. I’d worry I’d be punished just for asking. If there was ever a way to found out anonymously and their never knowing it was asked, I’d try that route.

Legally carrying in one’s car is an entirely different realm, sometimes without an employer’s reach or domain, thank goodness. Though risky – risk of theft.

Another member posted that his car is unfortunately parked too far from his employer’s entrance. What a bummer.

Feel for ya. I wish all employers would allow, have a lock box for us, or allow us to have it in our own lock box. I’d wanna work there. I don’t feel safe when I need to walk home from work or to my car at night, alone. What about our loved ones in that situation?

Training

The other day I saw a security guard at work, hip open carry, a full size 9mm. Everyone was comfy around them. But if I, a non-security guard, open carried or even conceal carried, then they are not comfy.

Why? What’s the difference? The difference is the training “they” believe the guards received compared to me. What if there were a process whereby we could get that level of training where more in society would accept our carrying rights, liken to the “guard”? Is that too far fetched an idea? What we would call it? Level 2 training? Make it optional? Could that help win over more hearts and minds? Any value or merit in that?

3 Likes

One idea I have thought of along those lines is that if there was national Constitutional carry so everyone could carry without having to jump through unnecessary hoops then you could have the additional level of issuing a carry licenses that required background checks plus a solid level of training. License holders would then be recognized for their verified safety and ability and be given additional benefits such as carrying at events on public property that often don’t allow it or in State and Federal buildings, etc.

We sort of have that here in AZ with constitutional carry that allows anyone to carry in most places. But there is a law that says licensed carriers can carry in places that serve alcohol as long as they aren’t posted. Though to add to the confusion there is another law that says no license is required to carry in unposted establishments. Not sure if the prosecutors gets to choose which law they want to follow depending on their mood?

Do you know for sure this is about the supposed training the guard had? I would propose a more cynical explanation. They accept the guard as designated to carry a weapon by authority. They are scared of anyone who independently exercises their right to carry a weapon. This is a case of slave mentality, forgive my cynicism.

1 Like