Buying an shotgun

I don’t think many people think about that.

2 Likes

This is what I have. Got it years ago and no complaints or issues other than needing to clean it after it came out of the box (too much grease). Works great for just about any situation. For home defense, I have two complaints, but they’re relatively minor. First is limited magazine tube, but that can easily be fixed with a tube extension. Second is that the barrel is 20” long instead of the legal minimum, which I believe is 18.5”. That extra 1.5” realistically isn’t going to make that much of a difference in a real life scenario, but it may help you if you decide to go duck hunting. If you’re looking for a budget friendly option I can’t recommend this enough.

5 Likes

They are all loud indeed, and will all damage your hearing…short and long term.

But you will likely hear more than just the high pitched tone. People do have conversations and understand one another after firing shots. See any LEO OIS video with shots fired and then radio and verbal communication as an example (even with rifles that are not suppressed). But yeah don’t expect to hear well after firing anything!

4 Likes

I personally have a 12ga pump at the ready. My primary home defense firearm is a 45apc that holds 13+1. I agree that an AR15 is the best option. I don’t own one. I’m a big handgun enthusiast so everytime I go to get an AR, I end up with another pistol. It’s a sickness :rofl:

4 Likes

Very Focused, No Distractions, You Know Your Mission. The fake, “I’m going to by a rifle” is just a well calculated smoke screen for the REAL Purpose…

2 Likes

I don’t take myself too seriously. At 68, I’ve had an ocean of water run under my bridge

2 Likes

Why not both? :wink::joy: i have a 14.5 ar and recently acquired a Maverick 88 20" and have it loaded with 1oz mini slugs. Way less recoil than 2 3/4" slugs, and higher capacity. Instead of 7+1, it’s 13+1.

3 Likes

Look at what’s in your local law enforcement agency’s weapons locker.
There’s likely a whole assortment of pump actions in there.
More likely 12 gauges from various manufacturers, and sporting short barrels with cylinder chokes, beat up hardwood stocks and otherwise slick (no sights other than a bead) as a hound’s tooth.
There are reasons for this.

You have the option to choose whatever you want, and spend as much as you want, but the end use is still going to be pretty much the same thing.
Stay safe.

1 Like

IMB_IEvX7M

2 Likes

A lot of agencies are moving towards semi-automatics for their shotguns. It’s different, and there might be a learning curve depending on your prior experience, but the benefits include getting off rounds faster and with a single hand if needed.

2 Likes

I’ve actually never thought about that. Now I’ll have to add single hand acquire/fire drills. Thanks Brother.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed more semi autos in the hands of LEOs, but unless you want to store your shotgun with a loaded chamber,
you’ll still need two hands to get one up the pipe quickly.
Or you can trust the Safety.
I don’t trust safeties.

Even pump guns occasionally install a sunroof in a cruiser.
These things are unforgiving. Stay safe.

4 Likes

For home defense most definitely a 12ga. I have had the same 12ga pump for 20 years. I rarely fire it. I will take it to the range occasionally to see what different ammo does to a silhouette target. It’s an H&R Pardner that I bought at Walmart for about $150. It’s a bare bones riot gun but its also a tank. Short barrel for home defense.

3 Likes

To be fair, I think the primary reason the police departments have pump 12 gauge shotguns is because they are inexpensive.

Not many PD’s can afford, or would choose to afford, to equip their officers with Beretta 1300 Tacticals or Benelli M2/M4.

I reckon the PD’s also have pumps because patrol rifles have largely become the go-to long guns for CONUS LE (especially after the infamous north Hollywood incident) so when they do pony up for something that’s more than a couple hundred bucks on contract (or get a freebie from uncle Sam), it’s a rifle, with the old shotguns as afterthoughts.

And I’ll wager semi autos are picking up in popularity especially by agencies that don’t do patrol rifles as much

This is true, good points, we are told/trained to not trust a shotgun’s safety and it’s generally recommended against keeping them loaded (not drop safe).

But, for home defense…you really ought to have the extra second and extra hand it takes to pull the charging handle as you pick up your two-hand-use long gun in your house.

A long gun you go get that needs chambered is very different from a concealed holstered pistol. 'cause you had time to go get it you should have one second to rack it and because it’s a two hand weapon anyway you kinda need to have two hands (might not have two hands with a pistol)

So yeah I’d still consider a “cruiser ready” shotgun a significant step up in capability for home defense over a handgun.

Not that it’s one or the other you can have all choices staged and ready.

1 Like