Burglaries: Give it up?

Rules were broken by one person. When moderators don’t enforce rules ^ we no longer have a community, and there is no fairness. Members have to resort to breaking the rules themselves in order to defend themselves. Not right.When there is a violation of terms action should be taken swiftly and decisively to make whole again. Why does one unstable member get to turn a nice intellectual discussion into a personal attack and have moderators come in and clean up his mess by admonishing everyone and threatening to shut the thread down. It’s a false equivalency.

1 Like

I followed this for awhile dwelling on it. While I dont think I could just give my wallet up to an armed robber based on statistics of him or her shooting or not. I’m going to do my best to defend myself. Also, this is a reason for condition yellow, to hopefully avoid this type of encounter. Each one if us have to live with the choices we make. If that is your choice, so be it.

4 Likes

A couple of thoughts on content here… although I’ll have to go back and read more carefully for details.

@MikeBKY, yep, the guys kicking down the door could be the SWAT team serving a no-knock warrant on a red flag. And its highly likely some will be shot, or at the very least shot at, if they are not announcing themselves. And then the homeowner gets shot too… its already happened with casualties on both sides. Part of why I think these laws are so dangerous.

On shooting through the door and similar scenarios… super important to know your state laws… it may or may not be murder in the legal sense… depends on your state. Aside from the individual choices we each have to make about what risks we take, and when we act, this is a matter of local law.

Add to that the competing risks of shooting an innocent through the door because you misunderstand what is happening on the other side of it, and losing time advantage because you waited until they had kicked the door in… well I think there are very few “absolute right” choices.

I can think of half a dozen scenarios where shooting through the door would be a perfectly right choice… and another half a dozen where it would be terrifically wrong… and it’s well after midnight here and the coffee has already worn off.

Perhaps a more useful strategy here would be to take a careful look at the respective state laws, and to consider from there first… after all, self defense includes not just the incident but what happens to you after. It’s no good to survive the first, and not the second.

3 Likes

So let me get this right, it’s totally okay to name call members and moderators including yourself, and break the terms of service, And make accusations about you, and demean you, and you would respond exactly as you did here today. “Settle down kids”. You wouldn’t ban someone for insulting you would you Zee? Of course you would! You’d do it every time and twice on sunday! You’re a moderator, so it’s not okay to insult you. But hey, someone’s just a member. Who cares! They can’t do anything about it.

1 Like

Here, they have be through the threshold

1 Like

Could we get a moderator here who’s actually willing to enforce the Terms of Agreement? Is there another moderator willing to follow the rules? Who understands that when you pretend like both parties are at fault it creates unresolved issues @Dawn

1 Like

Because its almost one in the morning here, and I have to be on the road at 7 am for the 12 hour commute frome home to work. At this time of night, I do not have another hour to weed through and sort individual details and address them.

Because I expect that in every situation all players are bringing something to the table. And everyone gets to participate in making it better or worse.

Closing this thread for now, @Dawn can reopen it in the morning after everyone has had a good nights sleep.

Y’all have a peaceful night.

6 Likes

Just to be clear, I am a volunteer moderator and do not have the power to delete comments or edit posts by other people. I have tagged @Dawn and I’m sure she will have a look in the morning and sort out what need sorting.

@CriticalThinky, @Zee is a volunteer moderator and was kind in her response to everyone here.

@CriticalThinky, it is both sides who are at fault here. I’ve read through the entire thread and neither side as toed the line 100% - and that’s where Zee stepped in to remind everyone of theCommunity Guidelines.

No one has called you a name… the tone was going that way on both sides of the discussion when Zee politely and kindly requested for everyone to take a step back before posting again so that we all get back to the purpose of this forum - learning and sharing about how to be the best protectors for ourselves and our loved ones.

Your personal attack on Zee is out of line. She is here to help. Personal attacks on a volunteer moderator will NOT be tolerated!

Personal attacks on volunteer moderators will result in a ban.

It isn’t wasn’t in the Community Guidelines until this morning, but due to this situation, I have added it. You can disagree with a moderator or Community Manager all you like, as long as we’re discussing the topic, not personal attacks, and is respectful.

The only person who has the authority to ban anyone is the Community Manager.

7 Likes