Body Armor Anyone?

Thank you for the link so I can start reading up on this equipment.

3 Likes

Yes sir I do. - Edit : Under and Over, a shirt.
Under Shirt :Typically a moisture wicking T-Shirt - Under Armor , Dev-Ops turtleneck.
The soft armor carriers usually have a mesh ā€œbreathableā€ material on the interior but I found the armpits still get a slight rub if there is not a layer there, if your Armor is fitted correctly it will turn with your torso, not let your torso ā€œswim aroundā€ in the armor. So I learned early on - like a couple days in - that even a thin layer of something is necessary (unless you have some elephant skin I spose).
The First under Shirt I tried was a straight up cotton T, that I had to peel off, soakinā€™ wet, dripping with sweat. After a couple trips out I switched to the thinner, moisture wicking type.
Cover Shirt : Throw your favorite (One Size Up) Button up Collar Shirt and viola ! ready to roll. Very seldom do I get a second glance even with the Vest exposed between my neckline and 2nd Button (I donā€™t close my Collar Button).
Iā€™d suggest start with what you think is best - suit up and wear it around the house/yard for 3-4 hours on your days off - wonā€™t take you long to find what works best for you - and donā€™t worry about how ā€œbig it feelsā€ Itā€™s not near as noticeable as you feel it is.
Good Luck to you on finding your fit !

5 Likes

I already wear that. I was hoping to find something more subdued like this

4 Likes

At least you should be able to hit the targets with it if you use the Force! I would not like to test it out myself so, tell me how it works for you!

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother, I to agree that every CCā€™er should wear some kind of armor if they desire but in some states it is illegal. If nothing has changed, I know it was illegal in Chicago when I lived there.

2 Likes

I had soft armor in the 80ā€™s while working Law Enforcement. It was hot and uncomfortable. But it took a .38 spc. to the chest leaving only massive bruises and busted ribs!
I switched to Public Education and found myself again in soft armor after Columbine. I was one of three on my campus selected to be armed. We all were ex-LE or Military. It was hot and uncomfortable, but lighter than the first and I suspect better made. It certainly moved better. And it hid well under a tie and suit coat.
I was reserve and did Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Ceramic Plate Armor was heavy and hot, but I could move pretty good even with gear.
I have plate armor now sitting next to my go bag. It is truly heavy but the cuts make it easy to shoot with and move. It does not hide well at all. But then again I did not plan for it to hide.
There is nothing that will help with any of this, so you need to train with it as much as you can. Put it on around the house when you clean. Include your favorite handgun and work your draw, tracking, and dry firing with it. ALWAYS BE SAFE WHEN DRYFIRING!!!
The more you use it, the easier it is to work with. Keep it clean and take really good care of the carrier. If you use a rifle, then practice with that too. Pay particular attention to what it is like laying flat, and getting up and down. Eventually that turtle feeling will go away and being without it will seem strange and feel naked. I used to think it was a shame to be that way. Now I know it is foolishness not to be that way.

5 Likes

Yea. Iā€™d suggest sleeping in it as well as take baths or showers wearing it.

2 Likes

Late to this party but here are my personal thoughts. Iā€™ve recently started to consider the possibility of obtaining body armor. Not because I would have any plans to wear it, I donā€™t ever need to go anywhere near where I would possibility need it, but as a ā€œbackupā€ for when/if SHTF and Iā€™d have to defend the homestead during a riot or the like. Granted, my neighborhood is not likely to be in such a path but the way things seems to be going, one canā€™t be to sure.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had the standard body armor for years and also now have a body armor coat which is actually better than the vest because it side covering. I leave the original vest on my drivers seat in case I need it and the coat I wear when weather permits.
I live in what the gangs in Chicago call Candyland the crime reaching out to the burbs in substantial. I honestly was almost car jacked, it if wasnā€™t for my friend waiting for me and see whatā€™s going on and pulled his firearm it could have been ugly. This was actually recorded and provided to the police where they said that same vehicle was involved in two other crimes later that day. (my son-in-law is a police officer).
So I try to avoid Chicago as much as possible, there is a shooting on the highway nearly daily but they are in my town now doing armed robberies and sometime rapes. I canā€™t say I always wear a vest but I never leave my pants without a firearm. The priest(s) know the safest place is behind me if there is trouble. Iā€™ve build a range with an area specifically for draw and fire training, ar500 plate silhouettes, texas star, and plate swing for moving targets. I believe body armor was worth my investment thereā€™s just to many bullets flying around in this area anymore.

4 Likes

I have an unused 1 yr old level IV ceramic vest front and back plates. Available for sale. 203-921-9105

2 Likes

For me , itā€™s quite simple. Baker Ballistics. The quality is top shelf, the range of product can not be beat. And, itā€™s manufactured in the US!

3 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to go shot for shot with anyone. Vest or no vest if you life on the line? Are you walking by or picking it up?

2 Likes

I wore it every day for 25 plus years. You need to check you states laws prior to owning/possessing body armor. Example, in California you risk jail time for possessing body armor unless you are police, certified security guard or otherwise authorized by employer. Same for police style batons. (whatā€™s not illegal in California).

3 Likes

have you considered putting a plate in the pocket behind your seat? Same back protection without discomfort.

4 Likes

https://bulletsafe.com/pages/body-armor-law-california

3 Likes

Thanks James! Interesting.

1 Like
4 Likes

Huh. That is a neat idea. I wonder how heavy it is. I did not see a weight listed on the website.

2 Likes

The link states 8 ounces. Got my plates and vest from same group. Disappointed theyā€™re Chinese, but being in CT, it was all I could get at the time, and honestly, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

4 Likes

Pretty good prices at that place @mattm

2 Likes