Blockbuster Seating?

Marcus Theaters in Wisconsin offer $5 movies on Tuesday nights - I used to go all of the time, but over the last few years my desire to see a movie in a theater has waned. A large screen TV, Blu-ray player, decent speakers and the ability to hit pause and get any snack I want from the kitchen :popcorn: :hotdog::pizza: has been part of the reason I avoid the theaters. The main factor is I don’t want to be in a target-rich environment for terrorists or those who want to inflict harm on innocent people.

If there’s a summer blockbuster that you just can’t wait to see, here are some tips from Kevin Michalowski on how to stay safe and defend yourself in a theater:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/safety-movie-theater/

What was the last movie you saw in a theater? Are there any upcoming movies that you have to see in the theater? Does your local theater allow concealed carry?

Please know, we aren’t trying to dissuade you from doing the things you love! We want you to live life to the fullest - and be prepared to defend your awesome life if needed. Stay safe out there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The last movie I saw was American Sniper. As of right now there are no plans on going to see any movies. Nope all the theaters I have seen or reviewed are all “gun free zones.”

2 Likes

Declaring a theater or restaurant or anywhere a “gun free zone” just makes me mad. The bad guys aren’t going to pay any attention to that! Since my gun is concealed, who’s going to know if I bring in a firearm anyway? However, I’m law-abiding so I’ll leave my gun in the car and just be prepared to run like the devil if someone opens fire in the “gun free zone.” Why are people so dumb to think that declaring a place gun free is going to stop the bad guys from doing what they want? It’s as irritating to me as all the anti-gun folks who make it hard for law-abiding citizens to own and carry, yet don’t make any impact on criminals owning and carrying weapons. It’s just dumb. Sorry, but that’s how I feel!

3 Likes

Our local theater has a no open carry policy however concealed carry is encouraged. The owner wants everyone to feel welcomed also knows how impressionable kids are. I feel he found a great balance with his policy.

Saw one movie there and there was plenty of cover the seats are big recliners lots of places to hide and move.

3 Likes

The only time we go to a theater is when we take our grandchildren. Very seldom do we do that for safety reasons. “No Guns Permitted” signs are not enforable in PA until you are asked to leave and refuse. Then you are dealing with a treaspass violation if you refuse.

1 Like

Godzilla King of The Monsters. The theater I go to doesn’t have a no gun policy, so that’s where I go. I stopped going to any AMC theater since they are soft target zones. I pay close attention to the exits, and do my best to sit with no one behind me.

2 Likes

What theater is this, @Sheepdog556? I’d love to give them extra business if I’m in the area!

1 Like

That has been one of my big points going to a theater even before I started carrying. We reserved seats for a big movie release when my kids were little and the woman behind me dropped a huge soda down my back. Not only did she not apologize, but she was also mad that she’d have to go refill her soda because I was wearing her original soda. :cup_with_straw:

I cannot imagine how that woman would have responded if she found out people carry in a theater when there’s not a no gun sign.

1 Like

I believe it’s called Silver Screen. It’s the only theater in town. Lol

2 Likes

The last movie I saw was Rocketman. Mom wanted to see the movie so we saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse.

Next Movie we are seeing is Yesterday.

2 Likes

The only thing that even makes me consider a theater is IMAX. Last movie we saw in a theater was Avatar in 3D IMAX - ok, that was definitely worth doing. That was 2009.
I don’t like crowds, don’t like crowded parking lots not built for my big truck, don’t like having to drive into the city and leave my truck where people know I will be busy for 90 minutes, don’t like paying outrageous amounts for popcorn, don’t like having people sit behind me, and don’t like being disarmed. So pretty much NO. Unless they open a gun-friendly IMAX with big parking spaces near me, it’s pretty much staying NO.

1 Like

@Zee me and my friends would go to the IMAX at the MN Zoo before it was shut down and they were cc friendly, and one of the night managers carried mace because of closing up alone a lot. Most movies there was maybe 6 - 12 people in a theatre that seats 300+ and was a six story tall movie screen.

I miss that they closed :confused: We had refillable cups so it was $1.75 for 2 cups to be refilled. The popcorn had a refill and since it was six of us they would just give us the refill right away.

2 Likes

@BJP I can see why they closed with that little business, but bummer that it wasn’t a successful business model… that’s a theater I might go to.

I also hate how dirty they are. I have seen many stories about how little they are cleaned.

1 Like

To a degree I was. I’d let my Texas CC instructor cert go many years ago as I got too busy in other aspects of my life. I still casually trained friends, family, clients through my other businesses etc but informally and occasionally helped out my original CC instructor when he needed it.

My little Brother decided he wanted to get certified to teach Texas CC (Now LTC in Texas since we’ve since gone to both CC and OC) and told me he’d enrolled in the NRA basic class and pistol instructor class and on a lark I decided to join him.

Many courses later as both student and instructor I keep looking for more as I like to think each course makes me a better instructor, as well as a more prepared, capable, thoughtful, and experienced Defender.

No professional instruction is becoming my main focus in life, time to give as much back as I can before I’m gone.

1 Like