Bi-pass Surgery

I’ve heard that it hurts big time :woozy_face:
Tell me about it :worried:

3 Likes

They gave my dad a self-administered morphine clicker while he was recovering in the hospital after his triple. He used it once, maybe twice.

3 Likes

Perhaps this thread helps?

I’ve never heard from patients that it hurts much. Every surgery comes with some level of pain during recovery.

2 Likes

Years ago, my uncle went through a similar procedure. He said it wasn’t his chest that bothered him during recovery, it was his back from when they had to move ribs around to get in to do their business.

3 Likes

And pain reminds us that we are still alive. Pain beats the alternative in this case.

4 Likes

I think much of the pain came from being put in odd positions. Then, there is the fact that they are breaking into your chest cavity. In my case, the pain was all from the opening up part. Except for coughing, it was not bad at all after the first couple days, and they should have you on morphine, or something as strong, at that time. Everybody’s pain tolerance is different, but It wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected.

My spouse had by pass surgery and while in the hospital recovering, she had to have a pacemaker installed. She has kidney issues due to diabetes and can’t take any N-said for pain and most other pain relievers were also off the table. What we found that actually worked was to take an allergy med without a pain reliever (a nurse on her ward mentioned it when we were talking abut her issues). This made her drowsy and she was able to sleep without interruption for up to 6 hours. We still use it today for her arthritis pain. Getting old is sometimes difficult, but the alternative is unthinkable, at least for me and my bride of 46 years.

3 Likes

The surgery doesn’t hurt. The recovery has some pain. It is like this, they knock you out with some super drugs that make it seem like you are only out a few seconds. Pay no attention to the clock that says you were out for hours. You will wake up to more tubes and wires than you have ever seen. In a day or two they get you ready to move from recovery to a regular room. Coughing and sneezing are a wake up call because that does hurt. But the first shock comes when they remove the drain tubes.

They will work on making you strong enough to go home if you have someone to watch after you. You may have to sleep in a recliner for a few days otherwise you will need help sitting up. It will be weeks before you can stand without holding a pillow to your chest.

Remember to walk as much as you can as soon as they get you up. Moving helps healing. They will tell you things will be back to normal in 3 to 6 months. If you were a runner of cyclist it will take longer before you will be running or any pace line work.

You will be put on a beta blocker and blood pressure medication and maybe a statin. After a year you will be living your new normal.

1 Like

After having 6 way bypass, its not the surgery that hurts its the coughing and turning over just a little after your breast bone is cut in half in the week(s) following the surgery. Hugging your heart pillow when you cough helps but it still hurts.

1 Like