Best to Carry Fully Concealed or in External case that MIGHT have a gun in it?

I actually have to laugh there. Texas just legalized Open Carry a few years ago. Michigan has had it for much longer. It’s just as common to see people open carrying here as it is anywhere else that it’s legal to do so, probably more so thanks to one of our Pro-2A organizations pointing out certain exemptions that OCing with a CPL provides us.

Still, I do not see a problem with it becoming common place for people to Open Carry.

2 Likes

Haven’t been in Texas in the last year but I knew it was legal there. Didn’t recall seeing anyone open carry during a week there. Open carry is legal here yet I have only seen 4 people in the last 10 years with a gun openly carried who did not appear to be LE or at least not in uniform. I’ve been told most people around here do carry either concealed or in a vehicle. I think next to Alaska and Wyoming there are more guns per capita in my state than any other if I recall from statistics I saw recently. I think that’s part of why people around here are very courteous to each other :wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t bother me in the least if every law abiding person in the country who wants to carry did so openly.

As Paul Harvey used to say, “An Armed Society is a Polite Society”.

How often do you see criminals targeting bars or coffee shops frequented by cops for robberies? How often do you see them robbing gun shops or shooting ranges during operating hours?

When they know there is a good chance of getting shot themselves they seek softer targets.

2 Likes

From Caleb at preparedgunowners.com:
at GunFacts.info with data taken from a Center For Disease Control report commissioned during the Obama Administration:

"Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or 6,849 every day. Most often, the gun is never fired, and no blood (including the criminal’s) is shed.
Every year, 400,000 life-threatening violent crimes are prevented using firearms.

60 percent of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. Forty percent of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.
Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because they fear being shot.

Fewer than 1 percent of firearms are used in the commission of a crime.
It doesn’t take a genius to realize that gun control isn’t going to fix the gun violence problem (which is already decreasing, by the way) because those committing the violence already aren’t following the gun control laws on the books. Why would they follow new ones?"

This is why I think it may be good to have a concealed carry method which may be noticed as “possibly” being an armed citizen by those criminals who might see you as a potential target.

1 Like

I have used the Sneaky Pete for several years now. I like it a lot. I have to dress business casual every day, and this is the best way for me to have a handgun handy in case I need it. In my job, most people believe it is an IPad or some type of tablet. I have never had anyone inquire as to what it is, and I don’t go around telling everyone what it is. May look out of place in jeans, but then again, everyone has an electronic device of some type on them at all times too.

2 Likes

@LightBeing I don’t know which state is yours, but GA is open carry, and I see OC when I cross into GA.

1 Like

People feel safer to conceal than open carry. Now Wal Mart wants you to conceal. I

saw a few videos on what can happen if the Good Person would become distracted

and the bad guy steals their firearm. Florida, concealed 100% covered.

2 Likes

Some people but not all of us. Some of us feel safe with either open or concealed carry. My husband is open carry always, and he feels pretty darn safe :wink: So do I when we’re out together.

4 Likes

Not in competition here with you, Zee. I am unable to open carry except at the ranges.
I have to follow the laws and that is the way USCCA Training taught us to. It has been 3 years and still the same. I surrender! People have been robbed and shot with their on firearm. I am own Your side.

Thank You, William Smith

2 Likes

I wished I could carry 6 or 7 firearms like Kevin does with his Hawaiian Shirts.

2 Likes

@William_H right with you. You and I, we’re good. :grin:

1 Like

I think some here are confusing my original question (the topic title) with a question of open carry versus concealed carry. That was not my intent at all. I am referring to concealed carry in a way that will not likely be noticed by the average person and there is no way anyone could be sure you were carrying a gun but a criminal with bad intentions might be sizing you up and decide that pack on your belt might conceal a gun. Thus he would be more inclined to pick an easier target for his bad intentions.

2 Likes

That is always on my list of things to do… “nothing to do here… move along”.

1 Like

What you don’t know can’t hurt you!

2 Likes

I’ve never really liked the idea of open carrying. I’ve always preferred to carry completely concealed and no one is the wiser. But then again with my age, being 20 years old, and open carrying a pistol… Idk how well that’d go over with people. Many people say I look 16 or 17 depending on how much older they are than me… 🤷

Also @LightBeing, what holsters have you tried for IWB? And how long did you try them out for?

2 Likes

That’s a legit concern… if you look “way too young” it could raise a lot of attention you don’t need.

@Bryan26 welcome to the group!

1 Like

Conceal carry, open carry may draw unwanted attention, people who don’t care or understand your Second Ammendment rights might call the Police on you, some people get scared when they see someone packing and we sheep-dogs as they say don’t want to scare the public

3 Likes

@Bryan26 my hubby is an open carry guy. I’m mostly concealed, my granddaughter is always concealed. It being rural Missouri, OC in our area is not that unusual. There is a deterrent effect of OC, and there is a normalization effect of seeing good people doing ordinary things while carrying. And it’s a personal choice that depends on many things, including what environment you’re in.

2 Likes

I usually carry my EDC in a Fobus paddle holster which allows the gun to sit mostly ab0ve the belt & with an untucked shirt, covers the pistol. Sure, if you look closely, you can see a bulge but so what. Its concealed & people dont typically inspect your waistline anyways