Best places to live in Tennessee?

A close friend of mine lives in Elmwood Park, IL and is thinking to move to Tennessee. I hate to see him move however he is fed up with Illinois which I do not blame him. He is 66 years old, pro 2nd amendment (does not own a gun yet) and most likely like to live in a town or city. Suggestions?

2 Likes

Looking forward to the answers. We’re in Charlotte, NC and isn’t a great as it is supposed to be. TN looking better…

3 Likes

I’ve got family that lives in Clarksville. They like it there.

5 Likes

I live in Tennessee and most of the big cities like Clarksville and Nashville or becoming almost as Chicago or New York. Most of the smaller cities or country areas are still nice to live in, only have to have a vehicle to get around.

10 Likes

Google it, best cities, safest cities, least expensive cities or towns for that matter.

3 Likes

You trust Google? Sheesh…

2 Likes

Nah always have to confirm but a good starting point just the same.

4 Likes

I use this

You can see many different data points and pick the ones that are important to you.

2 Likes

I have traveled a fair amount in Tennessee (we live in KY) and I find western TN to be very pleasant. It lacks the mountain vistas of eastern TN, but seems to have a more traditional “country” feeling to it, and it does have some nice hilly areas.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about it, but I live in Johnson City, TX and I know when I go to choose my town in drop down lists, it has a Johnson City TN. So, based on my town I’ll bet the TN twin is just as nice.

TN is a great state, it’s on our “list to move to” if TX ever gets broken.

Do a Zillow search for just “land” there’s tons of great land to build on.

1 Like

Yep urban all seems to be the same. Out away from big towns is where its at

1 Like

Yep, I was born in Chicago and lived there most of my life but to be a big city boy I enjoy mostly everything here in this small town in Tennessee which I live in, all but the driving.

3 Likes

Wife and I are still interested in Spencer TN…“dead zero” shooting range on the main drag,$250/ yes gets pistol and 1000 yard rifle ranges, and Fall Creek Falls SP, 26000 acre state park. Last day of our last trip to TN we were headed there to look at a few houses, but found one I loved on a mountain top up near Cherokee Lakes, so we headed that way instead from Harrison…and the house got sold on our way there…TN seemed a bit too hot real estate wise to me, thinking the peak has passed. CT still hot, my area anyways, escape from NY is real.
Another trip in early spring I think, got our list narrowed down to FL, TN, W VA, VA, NC, SC…or maybe out west…:thinking:…just cut and hauled most of next year’s firewood…so that’ll either be a selling feature or another winter of high taxes but reasonable heat.

1 Like

I’ve spent time in Tennessee, live in Louisiana. For me any big city is more trouble than its worth. Stick with small towns and you will find a happier group of people, generally speaking.

3 Likes

I’d recommend Cookeville TN for a town or city. Nothing larger. It’s still affordable last time I checked.

1 Like

Chose anywhere in western Tn. because I am in the eastern end.

Most small towns in Tennessee are reasonable . Avoid college towns and a 50 mile radius. Jobs are plentiful and cost of living are reasonable. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Michael1551 , glad you could join us.

Glad I could join everyone. NW Tennessee here.

Look at the Spartanburg-Greenville area in SC.