Being denied by the FBI to purchase a gun

Gary474,

I think I see your problem Sir…Vietnam veteran, never had a felony conviction, own my own home, and I’m almost debt free. I
I don’t drink, I don’t do drugs, yet the FBI shot down my background check.

You obviously tick all their boxes for denial: Vet, lawful, Responsible ,financially astute, sober and clean…
Jeez you are a mess son ! Lord know they don’t want ANOTHER dangerous Weapons ‘Thingy’ in the hands of the likes of you!

What were you thinkin’ Brother?

You want a gun? You shoulda jus’ bought a Gat from da guy on da corner sellin’ 'em in a paper bag from behind the dumpsta ! Last time I bought one that fellow cleaned it with ‘Pledge’ polish ! It was slippery but it smelled nice in da car!

4 Likes

Thanks, you made my day with your response.
By the way, the decision by the FBI has been reversed.

9 Likes

How did you find out?

3 Likes

They called the FFl dealer and reversed the decision, FFl dealer called me and I picked up the gun.

9 Likes

OK ALEX, I’ll take, the reason for the denial, for $200.

6 Likes

Gary474 That’s great news, and glad it worked out for you. :+1:

4 Likes

Never stopped from buying just delayed because ATF to busy bothering all the good guys instead of the bad guys. 3-4 days waiting approval.

4 Likes

This wasn’t a denial for purchase but has some data that could be good to know. A number of years ago, my wife and I renewed our CCW. This was before we became a constitutional carry state, and fingerprints were still required. We went through all the necessary hoop-jumping and submitted the paperwork. A few days later, we got a notification that my wife’s fingerprints had been rejected. We had a second set done, and they were also rejected! I did the last set using a stamp pad from OfficeMax. THIS time they sent a note saying they couldn’t “read” the prints, and did we have any idea why that might be? To us, the problem had nothing strange to it.

Sylvia was a nurse for 37 years. Doing a bit of marginal math, that means, conservatively, she washed her hands nearly 500,000 times during her career. Her fingerprints were worn down so much they a be read. Once that was established, we found that it was a common occurrence with doctors and nurses. The Fibbies were also happy to accept the stamp pad prints.

So, if the FBI and prints have a conflict, keep after them!

2 Likes

I have had a similar problem. I have a secret clearance, a CCW, and when I applied for my background check for a rifle I had already bought and had shipped to an FFL, I was “delayed”. It has been two weeks, and still nothing has moved. I’ve been advised to re-apply after a month has passed. I can’t figure out why I would be delayed in the first place. I did 22 years in the Army and retired four years ago. I don’t even have a criminal record to research. I was hoping there would be a way to find out what the hold up was, so I called the sore after the first week, and the FFL dealer got mad at me and said he would call me when he received word. Well, gee whiz, you would think after a week, you would have called me and said something. I’m not used to paying out a large sum of money and not hearing a word for over two weeks.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem. My prints are so weak that it takes the professional scanners multiple attempts to get an acceptable read. I had one person tell me that I missed a good career opportunity as a burglar, because I can’t leave a readable print even when I’m trying to do so.

And yet the nerds at the cell phone store still want to sell me on fingerprint IDs…

3 Likes

Contact your FFL and ask them to get an update on your submission.

1 Like