Averted disaster for a first time handgun owner

What kind of a gun shop would sell to someone like that. Any shop owners I know will spend time with an obvious novice customer and steer him away from a poor or dangerous decision.

4 Likes

A big box retail store would be my first guess.

4 Likes

I think that is a good guess but even in smaller stores with knowledgeable staff I tend to see very little instruction being given to obviously new shooters.

At the end of a sale I would one day love to hear the person behind the counter say “Would you like some training to go with that new firearm?” The person I bought my first firearm from just said “here you go”.

3 Likes

It’s like a car dealership I suppose. They have their hands full trying to run the one business without opening themselves up to more liability by trying to ensure everone who buys a new chevy, actually knows how to competently drive it in bad weather or how to steer out of a slide.

I did find out that training WAS recommended, The gun store did a very good job of steering the man to the right compliment of guns for his needs and skill level, so far as that could be done.

A gun seems such a simple concept that I think it’s easy for people to fail to see the complexity of things they can get into with them.

6 Likes

Slide bites can be nasty. Glad you were there to help him. Too many gunowners would have made nasty remarks.

4 Likes

One good slide bite usually breaks that bad habit.

5 Likes

Wow, no wonder you knew why the man didn’t read the manual.

2 Likes

There’s gotta be a joke or two about that floating around.

3 Likes

I love Paul’s videos and have learned many things from him.

6 Likes

I was raised with single action revolvers and had a hard time getting use to a semi automatic.

2 Likes

I am thankful that my dad drilled into mine and my brother’s heads growing up the importance of handling guns properly and safely. I, too, have seen some pretty clueless people at the gun range that were a hazard to themselves and everyone around them. One of my co-workers recently decided to purchase a hand gun and get his CCW in Florida to protect his family. Being I’m a combat veteran and carry every day, he peppered me with questions on which gun he should get. I told him that what gun he carried wasn’t as important as his ability to use it and that the best thing he could do was to take every opportunity he could to get training. I also recommended that for peace of mind he get signed up for USCCA’s legal defense program before he ever started carrying.

5 Likes

D.S.
Great job, and Thank you very much for your time spent with him.
I can just imagine him getting hurt, blood all over, dropping the pistol, the RSO running in there,…
Hopefully he will take your suggestions and implement them.
Tom

3 Likes

More than one and many rifles, too. The manual is an amazing thing. I actually enjoy reading through the manual to any new gun I buy.

6 Likes

He will only have have that slide cut that web or his knuckle once to remember the right way to hold a pistol!

2 Likes

You would think so, but I regularly hear “Da@$, I did it again.” What, again, is that definition of insanity?

5 Likes

Great job staying on station to help. All the more reason I believe to require new gun owners to have to take a class!!!

2 Likes

Some days I wanna support Darwin and let natural selection succeed. This morning I discovered the electric company had been to the property and omitted the other two locks that their lock was connected to and didn’t consider anyone else might go to the property besides the electric company!

2 Likes

6 Likes

A case where both are Bearly smart enough to operate the garbage bins. In Breckenridge, a skier stood by the information kiosk so long she was asked if she needed help, Her reply, " No, I just needed to get inside and out of the altitude".

4 Likes

You need to make the chain links only long enough where the three locks HAVE to be together to make up the difference.
One of my monthly visits is to a shared substation. The chain for the gate is not long enough unless all the locks are in place. Keeps people from doing crap like that :wink:

4 Likes