Authors' Corner

Have you ever thought about writing a gun related book? Need a cheap hobby that only costs you thoughts and time? Writing can be cathartic, healthy, beneficial and a way to share a little about yourself with others. It can also provide an avenue of freedom and escape for yourself and others. A few years ago after reading thousands of books, I wanted to write my own book. After 18 months of part-time research and tapping at the keyboard I published Thunk! A ZA-Like Sailing Adventure. Who doesn’t like Zombies, sailing, family and GUNS? So it didn’t make it to the New York Times List of anything. It did make it past the scrutiny of the folks I work with. Ok, a few of my kids are a bit embarrassed because I used them as characters. I also got to include Polenar Tactical after clearing it with Samo Stergel. Good bunch of folks that I finally met in person. Manca is really that cute and Samo is really a ham.

Would you be interested in helping each other get a book published? Even with spell check, I could use a good editor. Included is the final draft of my twisty tale. If you are interested, provide critical feedback…fire away. Do you have a good idea you want to commit to paper? I know I would like to complete two more books to finish a global circumnavigation in a zombie infested world.Thunk!.pdf (1.3 MB)

8 Likes

I’m up!! Ya gotta have an old cermugin long range shooter in yer book tho. I know this guy…

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

You’re going to have to help me out brother. Do you have a preferred pseudonym? How about preferred firearm and caliber? First chapter is an air insert into Northern Africa to rescue Cathy Adam’s missionary parents. I figure once Central Europe thaws out from an extremely cold winter, the adventure will proceed from the Med, through the Suez Canal into the Indian Ocean and off towards Australia. Just like me, Australians love the water.

What I do see that is missing in most acclaimed fictional writings today is a total ignorance of firearms. So I geeked out on firearms and weapons platform descriptions. I prefer providing facts over fueling myth…why I won’t be popular fodder for the masses.

What are you thinking about writing? Need some ideas or got something sketched out?

2 Likes

I can go a long way down the road of long range precision shooting as well as precision reloading and I’m a fair gun plumber in my own right. So if you need to fill in particulars in that realm I am more than willing to lend a hand as a resource. I’ve kind of shelved my literary pursuits as I get into enough trouble being on the computer as it is. That and I am notoriously long winded via the keyboard but very succinct in person. Covered all of your noted locations with BOTG for a lot of years, have transited the “Ditch” about 8 times and have more time in the Red Sea & Persian Gulf than I care to remember.

I liked your weapons descriptions in your first book but you did stop a bit short in the “why do I have this part and how does it get used and what does it do for me” For instance; having a suppressor on an AR-15 is cool and all but delving just a bit into the advantages and disadvantages would let your “Geek” out. IE: Increased muzzle velocity, they get HOT!, gas system backs up (AR’s sh!t where they eat and a suppressor adds to that plate full (that’s why if I was going to run a serious suppressed AR I would get a piston system. I’m a fan of the old Osprey system that now has a new name that I don’t recall but it’s bolt on and fits under the hand guards)

Oh! You coming to Norfolk for Bloomburg on the 14th?

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Craig The only thing I was thinking about with the suppressors at the time was keeping the zombie bait signature down to a certain Db. Piston/suppressor combo would be idea on a AR platform. What weapons platforms would you have on a sailboat? No credit for the Juliet “Ghost”?

I spent three weeks coming up with a solid weapons platform for taking out the ISIS trying to sneak into the Med for the final offensive against Europe. The XM-307 and XM-312s for that beast…haha.

Write a paragraph this weekend just for yourself. Save it in Word. Start with something familiar. I started with my cats and sailboats. A kitchen refurb? OK, I’m a dork. There is a real good reason I’m keeping my day job.

Norfolk. That’s five hours round-trip in a real Jeep. Today was my flex-day. Bummer.

3 Likes

Weapons for a sailboat? Hmmm. Going from the top down I would want something heavy for the offensive - defense. While the ballistics of the M2 50cal are not the best they are in standard inventory so you can get all kinds of cool rounds like HEDP that comes in real handy if interdicting another (motorized) vessel at a fair distance. I’d probably go with a Barret M-109 /M-82 semi-auto 50. for stand off topped off with a USO 5.5 - 25X optic and an MDMOA reticle (I just like the whole Inches vs MOA vs Mil thing). Owing to weight considerations and ammo crossover I would probably lean heavily towards and M-249 for 500 yards and in volume fire along with a First Focal Plane Optic of lets say 0 - 10X, add the AN-PVS XX of your choice to light up the night. There are rumors of NV & Thermal optics that seem to function well. A thermal camera/scanner on top of the mast would be exceptional. At about 300 yards your 40mm launchers come into effectiveness. A few of them sprinkled into the personal weapons would be good. A MK-19 would be nice but heavy. For last ditch, I’m a big fan of Claymores, they can be game changers and are highly portable and directional as perimeter defense in any location you choose to include the hull of a boat.

Backing up a bit I’d probably like and AT-4 or current variation to put a big hit on something, light, small, man portable, fire & forget. A stinger might be handy for flying things but I’m not seeing many flying Zombies so you have to consider your enemy.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 A real wiseguy… Please go write a paragraph of your own :crazy_face: I don’t think you read Chapter 9:

They can determine the largest pirate boat is a 45’ motor-cruiser with a mounted 12.7 mm x 108 mm NSV heavy machine gun. Range on the gun is supposed to be nearly 2 kilometers. FLIR indicates eight heavily armed crewmembers per boat. “5 mike before they are in range.” Mark relays. Mark takes up a position on the forward deck with Jeb’s .338 Lapua MRAD. Ethan is amidships with his borrowed M32A1 grenade launcher. Sam is with Jeb, armed with an M5E1. On Irene, Matt is set with a M32A1 and Jaxon is manning an M-240LW. Rok and Tim have the MAAWs ready on Serena. “Air assets are inbound.” Natalia relays from Comms on Chloe. “Pirates are hailing.” Cathy states over the local comm link. “They are demanding we stop and await boarding.” She says. The pirates fire a warning burst across Chloe’s bow. Jeb says “Airburst.” Rok and Tim launch an illumination round from the MAAWs. A streak arches from the recoilless rifle tube and an aerial burst lights up the sky over the pirates, blinding them. “Engage.” Jeb says. Everyone engages his or her designated target. Several recoilless HEDP rounds quickly follow. Mark takes the pirate’s machinegunner out with a single round. Medium Velocity 40 mm grenades saturate each attacking boat. “Air assets are on station.” Natalie relays. A streak of light descends from the night sky to the lead pirate vessel. Like being struck by a lightning bolt from Olympus, the lead vessel evaporates into a bright ball of plasma. The second and third vessels soon follow. “Cease fire. Cease fire.” Jeb orders. Then, “Status Check.” “Serena secure.” Cathy states. “Irene secure.” Irena states. “Chloe secure.” Natalia states. “Natalia, please relay to our air support a job well done. We will buy them a round of beers on Gibraltar.” Jeb says. After a thorough scan with FLIR, the fleet can’t locate any survivors. “Let’s head to the barn.” Jeb relays. The crews clean-up shell casings and rinse the desk off. Weapons are cleaned and everyone dumps adrenalin.

Darn, noticed another typo: desk should be deck. Thanks bro!

There are plenty of folks in this community, including you, that could do a better job of writing a book. An hour here, an hour there and the words start stacking up. Do it for your own benefit. Formatting can be simple or complex. Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is fairly easy to use in converting a Word.doc into simple book text. It is a free service. Amazon doesn’t pay much per copy. They do assign a free ISBN. I’m to cheap to pay for one. It is a fun project.

Peace out,

1 Like

@Craig I think the rescue team will pick up an old desert rat with mad sniper skills in Northern Africa (this board won’t let me use the country name because it might appear racist) while rescuing Cathy’s parents. Drop this grid coordinate into Google Maps and it will take you right there - 21°57’15.5"N 13°38’55.0"E

Book 2 Intro:

Public Service Announcement

The Z6N6 virus is a global pandemic. It is critical that you receive your flu shot to prevent the spread of this life-changing microbe. Likewise, do not forget that your furry friends require their rabies inoculations.

Sound hygiene will prevent the spread of this ongoing contagion. Kids, do not argue with your parents when it is time to take a bath or shower. Stay clean. If other people can smell you, so can the Thunkers. If you are lucky, your parents are still intact and aren’t running around the countryside trying to eat people. Be thankful for running water, food and a toothbrush. Make sure you brush your teeth after each meal and floss before you go to sleep. Dentists are becoming scarce. Wash your hands, thoroughly, with soap after each restroom break. When you sneeze or cough, cover your mouth with the inside of your elbow. Do not pick your nose. This is a very disgusting habit, which can spread diseases like Z6N6. If you are a booger-eater, you will turn into a zombie. Really! Be nice to people. There are so few left. Say your prayers before you go to sleep. The world needs them. Adults must protect those children placed in their care and teach them how to survive and prosper in an unrelenting world.

25% of the world’s population is infected, 35% are dead. That leaves 40% survivors trying to stabilize a greatly diminished civilization. The world as we know it has come to a screeching halt. Technology helps but has limitations. Every life matters. Every minute counts. Eliminate the Thunkers and work hard to provide the basics. Banking has been drastically streamlined. Basic trading commodities such as food, fuel and ammo are now de rigueur. Fuel and power are scarce so make sure you find a place that requires little of either. The bigger the place, the more to defend. GPS and the internet are limited but stable. Services such as water and power are stuttering. A mass migration of remaining survivors has begun from large congested areas to more sustainable regions. There is plenty of elbowroom now. Those that survive are the few with common sense, a sound work ethic and unafraid of change.

Goofy, right? Now I just framed the stage for a new adventure. Took 371 words to do it. Flawed premise? Who cares! Time to work on Taxes. Can’t figure out why I have to justify the government pilfering my paycheck…

1 Like

HaHaHaHa I got hemmed up in 7th grade by a substitute teacher that asked us to name 5 countries in Africa (we were studying world history/geography). I listed “Nijer*” as one and got called to the front of the class to explain. She said “That was an inappropriate answer” (the whole class of course could hear the conversation), I looked at her and said “Why, Nijer* is right there on the globe?” Pointing to the globe on the corner of her desk. “Besides the word you are looking for has two G’s and I know how to spell.” She marched my smart mouth right down to the principles office and the debate ensued for the next hour. Which was pretty heady stuff for a lad of 13. Fortunately the principle sided with me and I went back to class with the lower school history teacher and the substitute was never seen again in the school. Mind you this was 1979 ish.

FWIW I’m digging where your going. FWIW#2 I didn’t remember the part in the book #1 that you mentioned above and was not being a smart A$$ I was just running through what I would pick so if my opinion counts you chose well. That said if I am going to go exotic on bolt guns there are much better rounds than the 338LM even though I had some little part in it’s creation as well as my part in the creation of 118LR (that’s a long camp fire story not for publication).

On taxes “It’s deductible dot com” is a valuable tool to all the things you have donated to Goodwilll etc. each year and folds right into Turbo tax should that be your tax prep vehicle of choice. Just say’n.

Cheers,

Craig6

I now see what you mean. USCCA needs a better spell check. * = g replaced with j for phonetic correctness.

2 Likes

@Craig6 So will you take the desert rat role? You need to feed me bits about your character. I did keep my book PG and will continue to do so. I did travel a bit with the military but learned a bunch by using Google Maps in the street view mode. Why I start off every new location with grid coordinates. You can drop those in Google Maps and will take you right to that spot…even in the middle of the ocean. The ballistics vest thing? I did that. USA Vest001.pdf (272.3 KB) SF guys in Argentina thought that was pretty slick…

p.s. If I wrote about all my screw-ups I could fill Encyclopedia Britannica!

1 Like

@Jeff-A1 Introducing Jake
The drone base was quiet in the still darkness of the Saharan morning. Since the outbreak of the virus the base was drawn down and then finally when all infrastructure was lost, most everyone squirted and bugged out. Jake went from door to door keeping an eye on things that hadn’t changed in a couple of months, noting how the sand was beginning to build up. It was always the sand. Traversing the hanger he noted the Predator drones asleep without operators, ground crew or link from above. These unseen harbingers of doom were covered in a fine layer of silt dust that permeated everything.

Twenty One months ago he had reported to a bustling drone base, alive with techno geeks, Air Force drone pilots, CIA, DIA, NSA (pick a club) spooks and the occasional SEAL Team or Delta Team transiting through or staging for operations in the Sahara region. Ostensibly he was part of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) bringing the war to the Taliban in Afghanistan. He was a bit of an anomaly from the normal Navy Medical crowd. While a skilled clinician and Honor Graduate of his submarine school Independent Duty Corpsmen class he had a bit of a past with the Naval Special Warfare community which is how he ended up on “Independent Duty” at a secret drone base outside of Dirkou in the Bilma Provence of Nijer.

In the stillness of the pre-dawn morning he ambled to the end of the runway where he had fashioned himself a shooting bunker. The runway was just over a mile long and had light pylons every 100 yards which also now supported 12” x 16” AR-500 steel targets suspended by chains. In essence, it was the perfect known distance rifle range. In his left hand he held the M-1903 leather sling attached to his GA Precision 22” Winchester M-70 chambered in 30-06. A U.S. Optics 3.2 – 17X First Focal Plane (FFP) scope with an MDMOA reticle rode on top. Flipping out the legs of the Altas Bi-Pod he considered the atmospherics as he laid down on the ground and dialed on the elevation correction for 1800 yards.

There was no wind to speak of at this hour but “What did the mirage say?” he thought to himself. From the ground the target a mile away seemed to dance and bob in the scope. It had been hot and sunny the day before and there was still a lot of heat in the ground. Jake shook his head, no good shots ever came from a shifting mirage. Hefting the rifle to the bench at the corner of the bunker he settled down behind the big stick again. The image of the target one mile away jumped straight to the retical and hung still in space. He came off the gun and unscrewed the thread protector from the barrel and replaced it with an over muzzle Sure Fire suppressor.

Snuggling down behind the rifle the FFP reticle mated itself to the target 1800 yards away. The calm set in and his heart beat slowed as the rifle fell into it’s natural position. Air went in, air went out and at the precise instant of total relaxation the rifle recoiled into his shoulder. 3.47 seconds later the steel 1800 yards away jiggled. 3.2 seconds after that a “THWOCK” was heard in the still morning air followed by the howls and screams of a “Skinny” that was caged some 20 yards from the target. “Good morning George” thought Jake, followed by the thought that “Someday I am going to shoot you just to put you out of MY misery.”

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

If you like ZA at sea. Great Author named John Ringo wrote “The Black Tide Rising” series. After you read those and you enjoyed them. Go buy his entire back catalogue, along with Tom Kratman, Michael Z. Williamson, and Larry Correia as well.

I would be glad to read it and edit. I will tell you I can be fairly thorough. I catch errors all the time when I am reading.

2 Likes

@Craig6 Beautiful! Your GunFacts are impeccable. Resurrected the 30.06? Merica, brother! Now does Jake need a lift from a stray C-130 ready to pick up a load of missionaries trying to find refuge from a herd of Thunkers (Zombies)? We can make that happen. We can get Jake to Ljubljana, Israel or all the way back to US of A. Going to be a long trip. Something worth considering is starting a parallel book. I appreciate your style and it deserves an independent platform. Those 606 words you committed to “paper” also make a good first chapter. Here is my start:

*Chapter 1 – Air Rescue *
*Madaba, “Nijer” - 21°57’15.5"N 13°38’55.0"E *

Red lights saturate the cargo bay. The rumble of the aircraft reaches deep into the bone. Hydraulics whine as the large tailgates slowly creep open on the C-130J. Pummeling air backdrafts into the cargo bay. The loadmaster relays to the pilot “all-clear” over the internal comms network and the airplane begins a steep climb. The loadmaster makes one last sweep of the team to make sure they are clear of the largest payload. Upon his confirmation, he releases the brake securing the aluminum pallet. The pallet holding a Zombicon Jeep starts clacking down the floor roller system picking up steam until it shoots off the ramp into the stygian sky. “Clean separation,” the loadmaster relays. The plane levels out and he grabs the streaming nylon static line frantically fluttering in the air wake. He pulls in the lengthy strap that has just deployed three parachutes over the slowly descending vehicle. Ethan lines his team up at intervals and they calmly walk to the edge of the ramp and leap into the slipstream one-by-one. Matthew has Drago strapped into a tandem harness and is last to drop before Ethan makes his airborne dive into the night sky. The cargo doors close together. A Thunk! Thunk! reverberates throughout the bay as the door-locks engage.

Couple of notes- I keep the 3 ltr boyz out of my book. All my intel comes from Google Maps and the WWW. The hi-tech I include is a figment of my imagination. I spent plenty of time on a C-130 but so have millions of other troops from around the world. My literary musings won’t negatively impact our international efforts. Elan provided me permission to include pictures of their sailboat. Did I reference FLOTUS in chapter 17? Yup! I admire her for her perseverance. Does this stuff limit my writing? Yup!!! So be it. Doing it as a brain exercise.

1 Like

@Zavier_D Interesting looking series. I read the Weber/Ringo March Upcountry collaboration a few years back and really enjoyed the books. Did you download the draft of Thunk! I included at the start of this thread? It is in publication but I can always make changes if you have the time to review it. Yeah it is .pdf but it is easy to convert to Word without destroying the book format. Let me know…

1 Like

Just an opinion, so don’t shoot the messenger. But it’s to wordy. Cut it down to something like

each member of the float realized, the pirates were going to make a play at them. They caught each other’s eyes, for just a moment. Then the early morning darkness turned into day as…(insert rest of chapter)

Won’t let me download.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D That makes a lot of sense. At the time, I was trying to make sure there was enough “lead” on-target to prevent the sailing fleet from getting shredded. I have your civ email and will send it to you. @Craig6 has a copy and is a tremendous help. You guys rock! What about creating your own books? You guys have the talent and I would be the first to read your work. Appreciate all the help I can get but don’t want to be selfish…

1 Like

Couple of quick questions about your zombies

1. from description they are victims of rabies that has been
    A) intentionally modified
    B) a fluke evolution
    C) Methodology of the pandemic, Did WHO or CDC get involved.
    How is it transmitted? How long does it take for someone to turn? How fast are they once they turn? How well do they accommodate heat or cold? Are they responsive to lights and sound?
2 Likes

I have started 4 or 5 books now. None made it to finished. But, I did learn in the process that there are college students who will do the editing. I am sure that it is not out of the goodness of their hearts, but, it is a thought.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D A Fluke of evolution spurned by folks beating racoon dogs till they pass out then they skin the poor animals alive. Just type Racoon Dog into YouTube and you will get what I mean. I have killed animals for food but this treatment is wretched. Same for the dog markets in China that are suppose to be illegal. Internment camps in Korea and China? A dictator that wants to be a world power and develop nukes diverting critical resources for his own glory? I’m glad there will be a judgement day. I just sped it up a bit in my book.

I did indicate WHO declaring disease incurable. Other answers in first few chapters.

1 Like

@George16 Why don’t you just self-publish like I did? I could have had an editing service do the work but like I said before, I’m cheap. Would rather spend money on ammo or reloading components. Got a bunch of .308 brewing now :wink: Amazon will provide paid for advertisement but that is downright silly. I probably got $.75 cents per copy hardcopy sold so no monetary incentive. After the fourth comment left on Amazon, my PC rating was cratered. I have a few choice Navy words reserved for the person leaving that comment :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Foosa…Foosa. Much better now! Writing is a good outlet. Reading is also healthy from perspective that you get to experience something from another humans perspective.

1 Like