Ask an Attorney: Can My Firearms Training Be Used Against Me in Court?

@Dr_Richard started a similar topic in June. @Tom_Grieve addressed it in his Ask an Attorney blog post last week:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/can-my-firearms-training-be-used-against-me-in-court/

Yes, it can! And it can help you in court as well!

What part of your training will help you the most in court if you have to defend your physical self-defense actions?

4 Likes

I would have to say my Navy 0812 NEC (Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor (SAMI)) along with my Marine Corps Security Force Training. The security force training is the training to become part of a command’s auxiliary security force so you get the shoot no shoot and deescalation training. The SAMI training teaches you how to teach the security force training as well as marksmanship. The vast majority of my “high speed” courses were part of “group” or “team” training and I don’t recall EVER getting a graduation certificate from one of those. In the civilian sector the only training that I think “might” be beneficial is the “Armed Security Guard” training that is required by the V-DCJS to do that job and is offered by several companies. I don’t think a concealed carry course would count for much but it is better than nothing and if you have only “standard military” training it would be worthless.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

From Dave Young training…….

I did what I was trained to do at the time I was trained to do it…….

I didn’t “gun down” anyone, I discharged my firearm at the threat…

I didn’t “kill” anyone, I stopped the threat…

3 Likes

I’m confused now… thinking this way should I be aware of what I’m eating for breakfast? Do my crunchy cheerios with shape close to gun make me a criminal? :thinking:
That’s crazy… you can be a polite, quiet person… but is it enough to be a criminal if somebody testify that he saw you at the range shooting target with nice girl on it? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Anything could be used either against you in a court or used to aide your cause.

1 Like