Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?

This is satire, right?

Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess! She says it is for emergencies. There have only been two home invasions in our neighborhood in the last 11 years.

I’ve given her three choices: She can either give her weapon to me, sell it or move out in three weeks.

I love my daughter and would be so sad for her to move into a place that she would hardly be able to afford, but now I have to lock my bedroom door at night because I don’t know what she’s going to do.

Now she says that I don’t trust her, and is barely speaking to me. How can I convince her to stop endangering us?

Dumbfounded Father

1 Like

All I can say is… Wow…

5 Likes

I find this kind of stuff sad. I wish more people had logic and reason in the “drivers seat” instead of emotion.

4 Likes

WTF! How about doing some research or sitting down and having a conversation with your daughter BEFORE you involve a complete (and uninformed) stranger.

Not directed at you BrophE. I hurts me to think there are people like this in the world.

4 Likes

Sad isn’t a strong enough word for this individual. I prefer pathetic. Assuming this letter is the real deal, the individual shows unreasonable fear bred from deliberate ignorance and intolerance. Now, I totally understand that firearms will always make some people uncomfortable, but the whole “I love my daughter but have to lock my door now” routine is ridiculous. As others have said, sit down and have a real conversation with your daughter. Basically screaming “Guns are EVIL! Get the f**k OUT of my house!” is the antithesis of reason and common sense. I hope this turns out to be a total “work” by the columnist, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

4 Likes

Perfect example of why we are where we are. Quit using emotions to make decisions or come to opinions. Sit down act like an adult and hear the other side. Maybe some fears or misconceptions will get resolved, maybe some of your points will be heard and given some thought. I’ll talk to anyone about anything as long as emotion stays out of it. You can’t have a discussion about emotions but you can about facts and logic.

3 Likes

Wait… there have been TWO home invasions in your NEIGHBORHOOD? And you think SHE’S the one acting like a criminal? :scream: :woman_facepalming:
Are we sure it’s not satire?
If it’s for real, I hope the young woman is as intelligent and hardworking as her dad says because she’s really going to be on her own if anything happens.

BTW I just helped a young woman just like that pick out her first handgun. Her parents would be totally opposed if they knew. She moved out just to avoid that specific conversation.

3 Likes

And then there’s Amy’s reply, which concludes thusly: “I agree with your ultimatum; I also weep that there is yet another (likely unsafe) gun owner in this country.”
:rage:

Just another uniformed person that is in need of education.

2 Likes

How do I tell if my hollowpoint bullets are the exploding kind? I figure, if the bullets explode, no need to carry a heavy gun and all, just a few exploding hollow points, and I am good.

2 Likes

Everyone on the forum needs to write Ask Amy and educate her on the errors she made. She might change her mind, or at least realize there are responsible gun owners out there.

2 Likes

She had her butt handed to her on Twitter.

2 Likes

@BrophE, excellent! If you’re going to be out there in the public eye dispensing advice, it’s better to not be entirely ignorant.

2 Likes

Agreed - we can’t allow irresponsible grabbers to continue their ill-informed rhetoric.

3 Likes

An excellent response here:

And oh lordy, she’s syndicated.

2 Likes

Is that guy flagging his hand? Of all the pictures they could have used…

1 Like

You said she is hard working and responsible so I assume you raised her right to do the right thing in life and she is responsible enough to own a fire arm for self defense, what is the harm in doing so. We live in a dangerous world and God forbid something happens at the time or moment she is not carrying concealed and something happens when she would need it, you would never forgive yourself I’m willing to be on it so are you will to bet your daugther life because you are blind to what could and would happen. Go and train with her and see how she does before you put demands on her to give up something that’s would save her life!!! Think long and hard about that!!!

2 Likes

He has to lock the door because he lost his man card.

1 Like

@Crispin, I think so, especially if you mean “lost” in the way of “had it revoked, with prejudice” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How about another alternative…“Daddy, I’ll get rid of the gun if you help me carry a cop around.”

2 Likes