Arkansas H.R 5717 WOW!

Shown Here:

Introduced in House (01/30/2020)

Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020

This bill makes various changes to the federal framework governing the sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. Among other things, the bill does the following:

• generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
  • raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
  • establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
  • requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
  • creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
  • restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
  • restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
  • makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
  • requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
  • removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
  • allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
  • establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and
  • promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.

Hope you don’t mind that I added the text from H.R.5717 as text instead of the photo, @Michael473. It makes it easier for everyone to read. ~Dawn

7 Likes

Good morning Michael473 and welcome to our forum. I’m a little perturbed at seeing this bill. I’ve actually been thinking of moving to Arkansas for several months because of their stance on the 2nd ammendment. Now I’ve got to keep an eye on this bill. Again welcome and thank you for posting!!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community and god bless.

2 Likes

Ok, what is our role in stopping the HR 5717 movement? DO we wait for the truck to run over us or do we establish a front that will question the actions and make changes? If gun manufacturers can be sued, then when will Liquor stores and Marajunia stores for their products affecting the judgements of the people that use their products? When are we going to stand up against the discrimention that is heaped onto the legal gun owner? Who will lead the fight, it is not going to be the NRA for they have been nutuered and a mere shell of what they once were. How much more can we take?

Larry

3 Likes

I hear you, for sure! Currently, it has only been introduced and nothing has progressed. The best thing, at the moment, would be an inrush of emails and phone calls to our reps. I don’t believe, with all the insane requests in it, there’s a chance of making it to law, but we need our reps to hear from us every time this kind of insane legislation is introduced.

1 Like

Some of these look a lot like some of the laws that came up for vote in the Virginia legislature earlier this year. Specifically, the red flag, background check for private transfers and assault weapon restrictions.

2 Likes

It’s time for all of us, and everyone else, to bombard their legislators and governor with the voice of the people.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Michael473! The bill you posted is not an Arkansas bill but was introduced to the United States House of Representatives on January 30, 2020. It is still in committee hearings in the House.

This isn’t just an Arkansas problem, it is a USA problem! If it passes the house, it will never make it to the Senate floor for a vote. That is one of the reasons I continue to vote for Mitch McConnell and am against legislative term limits.

7 Likes

I am an outspoken type of person. If I have something that I think is going against the intent of the country I will not hold my tongue. I have called my State’s Rep ans Senator so mane time I think that have my phone number written on a bathroom wall. I look at elected officials as a mouth piece of the people and if they don’t hear from us thin all is well. I will allways promote contacting the elected officials at county, state, and national levels.

Larry

1 Like

I almost forgot to mention SB3254 it is a Senate version of the HR5717.
We must do everything in our power to keep the Dems from gain both houses.
If they gain both houses and Donald Trump is put in for four more years it will be like he is a Lame Duck President.

Larry

1 Like

I am not surprised anymore. These folks are doing everything that the Pro 2A elders have said they would. That’s why they get sensitive when you mention:

1. Your endgame is total gun confiscation OR
  2. That piece of legislation is a backdoor gun registry AND FINALLY
  3. Every government that enacts a national registry enacts a total disarmament of its population.

The thing with the anti-gun crowd is MOMENTUM. Any victory of any sort will embolden them! So, fight the good fight Arkansas!

:v:t5::100:

1 Like

Hi Michael,
@MikeBKY is correct in that this HR5717 is at the Fed level and not specific to Arkansas.

If I may introduce myself - I am the Vice President of the Arkansas Rifle & Pistol Association, the AR state affiliate of the NRA. We keep tabs on all firearms related legislation introduced in the state. However, we are a relatively small organization compared to those in other states. I often get the feeling that many Arkansans are complacent and of the attitude that "it will never happen here ". This is why we depend so much on people like you to keep watch and bring things to our attention that we may miss. We have a website as well as a facebook page. Please visit us!

I’m new to the USCCA and these boards but, plan to be here regularly. I sincerely hope that everyone will post about anything that they may feel is of note.
To our knowledge, there are no pending bills or resolutions in Little Rock as I write. As we all know, though, that could change quickly.

We are all aware of the situation in Virginia. Are you aware, though, of current happenings in TN and OK?
Tennessee is now a 2A Sanctuary STATE! Oklahoma has passed a bill that bars Red Flag laws being made at ANY level of gov in their state! Good things can and DO happen. We have great neighbors!
With ARPA, I am working to bring changes like this to Arkansas. We need to stay ahead of the curve.

Again, thank you all for your vigilance and I hope to talk with you more, soon.

Robert

4 Likes

Thank you for this information! I am the Central AR rep for USCCA and I am always wanting to learn our new laws.

If you would like to talk some time, feel free to PM me here!

3 Likes

Hi Dan. Glad you found your way into the forum!
I’ll contact you soon. Would be great to meet you in person, as well.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless.

Thanks!

1 Like