Are you gun amish?

To me this is one of those “Right Tool For The Job” subjects. I like the Iron’s on my compact EDC’s, I like the dots on my AR’s, Cross hairs on my long guns seem to work just fine.

7 Likes

No I am ‘‘Red Neck Yooper’’
only one that has any ‘‘other’’ type of sighting is my CC S&W Shield
came with a red laser pointer on the gun
everything else is iron sights

2 Likes

I’m with ya :100:. :+1:

My better half is interested in learning to shoot. I am going to encourage her to get a pistol with a red dot, if for no other reason than to build her confidence.

She’s a bit recoil sensitive, and I’m also considering putting a red dot on a Ruger 10/22 for her for use around the house.

4 Likes

I agree and that’s why my pistols all have dots. Faster and more accurate is faster and more accurate.

But I ran common drills with irons and then with a red dot when objectively determining best tool for the job.

After doing to competitions and seeing everyone with dots smoke everyone with irons, I had to try for myself, couldn’t ignore the performance anymore.

Basically everybody shoots “carry optics” or open when I go now. Meaning, they all have optics. You aren’t allowed to run against the non-optics division once you put on optic on…the optic is too good it’s not fair.

8 Likes

We have been observing smart moves made by manufacturers of civilian’s market gear.
If something worked great for military, why don’t use it for civilians. If something worked great for competitive shooters, let do the same for defensive shooters.
Defensive shooting market is growing up rapidly taking all good stuff from other markets.
This might feel new and even scary for some people, but this is how it works. As defensive shooters we always react. Once bad guys use different gear, we must adjust and use at least the same (or better) with better tactics.

Remember - always be one step ahead, even you think you are in right place… you are not. There is always something that can be improved.

7 Likes

New shooter in the last year here. Came late to the game at 60 yo with blurry eyes. I started with irons, and do ok with them. Just got my first pistol with the dot. The increase in confidence and accuracy was astounding. I will be upgrading my others to dots and anything new must have them. The difference was that much. The shortest battery life is about 20k hours, which is 2 1/4 years if on constantly. Some are 50k. I can afford a $3 battery every year on my birthday and not worry about it.

10 Likes

Im half gun amish then.

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/g0MT4UD5gY4?feature=shared :grinning:

4 Likes

I tend to not run too many red-dots. On my ompetition firearms yes. EDC? Not so much. Quality optics are expensive. Then I have to change holsters, if I am adding to a gun I’ve already had for a bit. Good holsters are expensive too.
If I am going to be spending money on expensive things, I’d rather spend that money on guns and ammo.

Though, I don’t have anything against optics, or red-dots at all. If I ever leave my collector phase, I will likely get more fancy things to hang off my guns. But at the moment all I can think is this. “These revolvers aren’t going to buy themselves.”

4 Likes

Sounds like a good complete mind set to me. Guns, ammo, more guns, more ammo. Buy a light, then maybe a red dot…but more guns, and ammo is always good. imo

2 Likes