Are you gun amish?

6 Likes

Iā€™m ā€œGun Amishā€ and will remain that way, proudly!
I donā€™t need anything more than a tritium dot on the torso!
Trained this way since 1977. If it ainā€™t brokeā€¦thankfully my eyes are fine, the warranty on the ears is up!

11 Likes

Till the day I die! K.I.S.S. :+1:

6 Likes

:laughing: From time to time, I find myself looking for optic cut slides for my firearms, but yet still remain amish! :laughing:

3 Likes

My Walther optic pistols are pulling my Glock buggies. :rofl:

6 Likes

Nothing against iron sights (Iā€™m still using them) but red dot these days is like semi auto pistol in 1900. Invention that changes reaction time in defenderā€™s favor.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Now THATā€™S a DANDY side iron!!

2 Likes

Iā€™m 100% gun Amish. Now, I do have a rifle with a traditional scope, but that itself is century old technology, so yeah, I like simple and effective.

Itā€™s one of the things I like most about the firearms hobby. It changes very slowly, and it doesnā€™t need technology creep. Advancements in materials are great for stronger, lighter, more powerful guns, and ammo has advanced along the way, but my guns donā€™t need batteries, and never will.

4 Likes

I will admit that the dot gets me on target quicker but if your natural point of aim is consistent then the dot wonā€™t matter

5 Likes

I was going to say basically the same thing. If my red dot was the same size as my iron sights, I would use my red dot.

The XS Big dot on my 19 is the same size if not larger than the 6 MOA dot on my Walther.

2 Likes

Red dot sight equipped guns donā€™t ā€˜needā€™ batteries either. :wink: Co-witness to irons is quite nice.

Though if you put a new battery in once every 3-5 years, itā€™s that much more effective

6 Likes

ā€¦ for defensive distances up to 25 feet. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

ā€¦ or, just go with optics equipped with solar. ā€œBatteries problemā€ solved.

4 Likes

I put an XS big dot on a 1911. Does that make me ā€˜Gun Cavemanā€™?

2 Likes

Holosun SCS

3 Likes

Nope, it will just save you money on an eye exam later. :grinning:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always equipped one AR with a red dot, but the transition to red dots on a pistol was another matter. I took a couple Sig classes where I was the only one without a red dot. The folks with optics out shot me by a long way, so I broke down and replaced my semi autos with slides that accommodate red dots. Big improvement once I figured out that finding the dot was a matter of pointing in and looking for the front sight.

3 Likes

This is one the aspects you only get with quality live in person training, and why live fire in person training goes hand in hand with learning/education/stuff you can do electronically

And why going to classes, competing, and/or running well known drills on a shot timer is valuable. Objective measurement of performance vs others/known standards

Good on you for attending top flight training and evaluating your gear

3 Likes