Are we missing the forest for the trees?

A lot has happened this past week regarding our Second Amendment rights — much of it under the guise of finding a “middle ground.”

• Walmart to stop selling handgun and “short-barrel rifle ammunition” (.223 and 5.56)
  • Walmart, Walgreens and other retailers telling their customers they can no longer open carry in the stores
  • San Francisco declaring the NRA a “domestic terrorist organization”

Are we so focused on the “trees” that are being cut down by these particular actions that we’re missing the “forest” of our Second Amendment rights being destroyed?

To paraphrase “The Hollow Men” by T.S. Eliot:

This is the way our Second Amendment rights are taken away
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

How do we bring the focus back to the forest (i.e. protecting our Second Amendment rights)?

11 Likes

I agree but it is a difficult fight. The left is generally looking at killing the 2nd a single tree at a time, sans Beto who wants confiscation. First it is so called “military style” or “assault weapons” and “high capacity” magazines. Then definitions will change that make any magazine over 6 will be high capacity and any semiautomatic firearm will be classified as an assault weapon. Soon we be back to muskets until they realize that a .50 cal. lead ball does a hell of a lot of damage. All that will be left is your Crossman pellet gun until they figure out the damage that a pellet or BB can cause.

The point being, we cannot give an inch or our rights will gradually deteriorate inch by inch.

Are we missing the forest for the trees? Where is the forest after all the trees are gone?

14 Likes

I agree, you clear the forest one tree at a time. The 2A supporters need to start speaking up or watch the 2A slowly be whittled away.

7 Likes

It starts with “military style” weapons. Then, it will be “large capacity” handguns. Then, “sniper rifles”. You know, regular bolt action rifles that look like a sniper rifle. And so on and so forth. The real question becomes, where do we draw our line in the sand and say NO MORE!?

6 Likes

For me it is right here right now. I hate politics but you better believe I am going to take a much bigger interest in the political candidates and processes going forward.

5 Likes

@45IPAC When we get around to drawing the line it will be too late. We have been the silent majority too long.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

One of the reasons why to teach children firearms safety, how to use them and maintain them. The children are the future. Teaching them that there are consequences for their actions, good or bad, is a must. This a group that must be reached, or the 2A will eventually fall. Other words, we need to replant the forest.

4 Likes

For some, absolutely. Case in point, we had IGOLD(Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day) back in March in Springfield. . Their are 2.5 million FOID(Firearm Owner IDentificatiin) in the state. About 8500 of us showed up. Now, 8500 people marching down the main drag to the capital building is an impressive sight. What if it would have been all 2.5 million?! We could have shut the whole capital down, and made the cowards listen to our demands. Now, if Illinois has 2.5 million legal gun owners, how many more in other states? If every freedom loving, 2A supporter gathered in their state capital , on the exact same day, at the exact same time, we could bring the establishment to its knees. And, what that hoard, gathered it’s collective might, in D.C., right on the steps of Congress. No more playing games. No more “well, if they come for this” rhetoric. Actual, real, exorcising of our right to protect. Sadly, there are too many “I support the 2nd, but” out there.

4 Likes

For many, they don’t want to get involved. With even free speech being attacked because of difference of opinion, there are some who remain silent.

1 Like

^^^ this right here

For me too. Right here right now.

I’ve taken a big interest since we were swatted (and some interest since well before that) but it’s time to step it up.

7 Likes

I agree that if we continue down the current path, liberal politicians will continue to frighten voters with two-second sound bites condemning weapons instead of the societal erosions occurring in the U.S.

such h as, parents who fail to teach basic manners and right from wrong behaviors. Educational system that cease to teach civics and basic history classes. A mind set that says it is someone else’s responsibility. It is also the lack of a political movement that uses logic and facts to counter the sound bites. I believe there needs to be a combining of organizational resources that uses facts to counter liberal hysteria with facts to show the inaccuracies of terminology and “facts”. We need a consolidated PAC instead of individual organizations to get our message across. We are not just facing erosion of 2nd Amendment rights, but also our rights under the 14th Amendment because “Red Flag” laws are not providing due process. We must unite in this fight.

6 Likes

The problem is gun owners are the only ones that care about the Second Amendment anymore and we are a minority, I carry every day but very few people that I know even own a handgun or rifle so they are not interested in second amendment rights, if we don’t get the correct people in office who are strong 2nd Amendment supporters we will lose our Second Amendment because we are not a majority.

1 Like

You could put an eye out!

3 Likes

The trees are burning in a fire, and neither side wants to re-seed the forest. Our side is too comfortable with what we thought was the forest ranger. The arsonists seem to be allowed to clear the land, and all of their seeds are black. It’s time to rise above, and move into place on that thin white line. What our allies were yesterday, are our enemies today and tomorrow. It’s time to govern ourselves, our lives and homes and families. WE are the people, where’s our paycheck?

1 Like

I don’t think we’ve lost focus, each of those cases are an assault on our rights.

4 Likes

@Dawn
Ronnie always knew what to say and how to say it…

4 Likes

Except, Reagan signed the Hughes Amendment, at the advise and with the blessing of the NRA.

4 Likes

@45IPAC Good point. :+1: In my defense sometimes my Alzheimer’s flares up.

3 Likes

It’s like today’s political climate. Donald Trump is not a pro-2A Guy, unless it’s gainful for him. That’s why we need to stay in our local, state, and federal representatives and Senators.

3 Likes

I actually got a positive response from Sen. Marsha Blackburn. Still waiting on others. I will keep writing.

1 Like