Ar Pistol

Very true. I’m glad you put it into words.

Same thing with production vehicles vs race cars…

I have to admit, I don’t understand how race cars play into this.
Edit: On second thought, I think more to the point, would be:

And the race car that is built on the razors edge with “I don’t know” as the answers to questions like “what is the compression ratio, what’s the crank made out of, what valvesprings are used” is going to be a breakdown risk when compared to the competitor car that is built with known quality and known quantity parts for those, and as it happens, makes more horsepower and more torque while operating farther from the edge in all possible parameters

These super short AR’s aren’t really built at the edge of being able to function for a performance benefit, they are paradoxically built at the edge of being able to perform for a performance detriment.

I used this one on mine. It reduced fire ball and throws the noise forward away from shooters.

3 Likes

I’ve built more than a few AR pistols for myself and others and I don’t find the 7.5" tubes to be an issue. They do like 62gr better than 55gr but not to the point of failure but more to the point of accuracy. In general if you are looking for nail driving accuracy there are better options but 7.5’s do fairly well IMHE, but you have to know the limitations of what you are running. If I’m building or buying an AR pistol it’s for 200 yards and in, yes I can make you duck out to 500 but that’s not the point. As far as loud, you have a rifle cartridge in a pistol platform it’s gonna make noise. To mitigate that I use what @Gary_H does (I think I told him about them) they come in various flavors and price points from OSUSA to the Flaming Pig, flash cans reduce felt recoil, muzzle flash and noise to the shooter. Their issue is that they are heavy and the farther you stick them out there the worse it feels. Any AR pistol is going to be a compromise unless you are building a 14.5" carbine with a brace as that is the minimum barrel length to effectively maximize M-852 (Green Tip 62gr) ammo which is best served in a 1:8 twisted tube. You have a 7.5" pistol, play with stuff.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Yes sir, you have never steered me wrong :+1:

2 Likes

You are probably hearing the spring in the buffer tube. This is an excellent spring to upgrade with. It may change the sound pitch and make it less annoying to you.

2 Likes

Yes.

I am also personally a huge fan of the vltor A5 intermediate buffer system for AR15 type rifles/carbines. My ultimate preference generally is a vltor/BCM 7+ position receiver extension (aka buffer tube) with A5-H2 buffer and Sprinco Green spring.

The Tubb springs are also very popular, or simply replacing the standard recoil spring with a Sprinco green spring (and for many AR’s, they benefit from increasing the buffer weight from factory Carbine to an H/H1 (same thing) and a Sprinco blue spring

Geissele Super 42 braided wire springs are also good (though you are supposed to only use them with the Geissele buffer weights)

2 Likes

I’m the exact type of person that the AR pistol was designed for. A disabled veteran. Now I’m going to be out a $1000 or so. As I am converting it. Pisses me off.

2 Likes

I often wonder … can I submit a pic of a stripped lower and a brace not attached and get an SBR for free?

Asking for a friend…

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

As long as your name is Hunter

1 Like

I would ditch the brake for a linear comp or flash can. The beauty of the AR platform is parts availability and ease of assembly/disassembly with a few basic hand tools, a vise, vise block, and armorer’s wrench. If you don’t like something, almost all parts only take a few minutes to change. As far as not knowing the brand, does it work? Unless you are building precision, it doesn’t matter that much, and from personal experience, and experience from others, price and brand doesn’t necessarily mean precision. Yes I spent a relatively large amount on my last build, but it functions just as well as my $450 build. My expensive build feels more accurate and precise, but that could just be price tag and attention to detail there. If you want to feel better, replace the BCG and barrel with something you like, and call it a day. NOTE: PAY ATTENTION TO GAS SYSTEM LENGTH. You don’t hear as much about Unbranded AR as you do BCM or whatever, but it’ll shoot ■■■■ just the same. On the suppressor portion, pay attention to minimum barrel restrictions.

1 Like

I don’t know. I’m not a lawyer. I cannot interpret this rule or law. This is not legal advice.

But, my lay person attempt at an answer would be, no, and that’s good, because otherwise, every person who possessed a stripped lower and a stock would have an unregistered SBR