AR pistol braces

I would have to dig them up but there were actually studies done after the seatbelt laws came into effect. They showed that though the death rate from accidents went down the number of accidents actually went up. The assumed conclusion was that drivers felt they would be safer if they got into a crash so they drove more recklessly.

I’m still wearing my seatbelt though since it keeps me safer from all the people driving more recklessly.

Might have to add a reinforced roll cage for protection from @Scott52 ’s high flying maneuvers;)

2 Likes

I’d like to bump this question and check for clarification on pistol braces.

It’s my understanding that it’s not a law or proposed law at the congress level. It’s instead a ‘reclassification’ by BATFE. I recently ordered parts for an Aero pistol build and stumbled upon this. The guys at my local range seem to not know anything about it but I see it making rounds online. The problem with simply doing a Google search for “Are pistol braces being banned?” is that it is often confused with a similar ATF proposal that was withdrawn very shortly after it was proposed back in 2020.
The most recent info I found states that effective August 1, 2022 an AR pistol with a stabilizing brace must meet near impossible criteria or be declared (by the ATF) as a SBR and subject to an NFA tax stamp.
The ATF info can be found below:
ATF - Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces”

To determine if an AR pistol qualifies as a “firearm” or 'rifle" we’re being asked to use the following ATF worksheet 4999:
ATF Worksheet 4999 - FACTORING CRITERIA FOR RIFLED BARREL WEAPONS WITH
ACCESSORIES* commonly referred to as “STABILIZING BRACES”

If I read this correctly, it’ll potentially make a million or more law abiding citizens felons essentially overnight by reclassifying pistols with braces as short barreled rifles.

I’m REALLY hoping that someone reliable can tell me I’m incorrect and point me to solid evidence to support that claim. I’m fairly new to the 2nd A family and looking for information.

I’ve also noticed most online vendors no longer have pistol braces in stock. Often they claim to be “out of stock” or simply “discontinued”.

I doubt this interpretation would survive a supreme court test, but I certainly can’t afford to find out.