AR Or Shotgun for home defense

I think I probably end up charging an ar rather then dropping the bolt. I agree that both sounds might have the same affect but that the pump and lever are much louder. Again, in my opinion a pistol is the way to go for home defense. This includes ar style pistols. Your original argument spoke about not relying on the sound and now your argument is that both have sounds. I feel another lap ahead. Np.

2 Likes

I think it’s both. I wouldn’t’ rely on the sound or choose for the sound, and I also don’t see a substantive difference between them in sounds. I just don’t think the sound of loading the gun should be considered when making the ‘what gun’ decision, for both of those reasons.

But, also, as I’ve said in another post, within the realm of viable home defense firearms (of which there are MANY), what matters most is the familiarity and competency of the person wielding it. And that could very well be a pistol, AR, shotgun, or a bunch of others as well. Certainly individual living arrangements and geography and laws etc are a factor, but, your personal competency with the firearm is topmost.

If that’s a pistol for you, rock on. If it’s a shotgun, rack on.

3 Likes

Ar15. For me accuracy, ammo capacity, ease of follow up, and it’s suppressed. That is what I feel works for my specific situation and living environment.

3 Likes

I think YT is spying on me, it just recommended this, from 8 days ago

3 Likes

Shotgun.

2 Likes

Personally, AR 15 is better. More rounds, one projectile, less likely to over penetrate despite what people say.

Shotguns are more complicated to operate in my opinion. That being said, I’d feel comfortable with a designated shotgun for home defense. It will get the job done. Id ignore the “pump the shotgun method” and buy a quality semi auto. That’ll do!

It’s all about being familiar with your tools.

2 Likes

why-not-both

8 Likes

Let’s try a “systems” approach here. The home you are defending, and its environment must be considered. If we assume to go the 12 ga. 00 route and we live in an apartment or duplex, pattern spread, even from a low recoil round, could put a pellet or two in your neighbor’s new 90 inch HD TV (or worse), and he might not appreciate your efforts. Clearly, there is no one solution that will work universally. A thorough analysis is called for.

5 Likes

The AR platform can be a pistol, sbr, and rifle. It shoots most rounds. An AR customized for your situation is probably your best bet. 9mm pistol or sbr for the apartment setting 16 to 20 inch rifle in 556 or 300blk for the farmer. AR could work for any situation. Shotguns are much cheaper and work as well but as far as superiority, AR all day.

2 Likes

Side by side coach 12g with 00 and then 45 acp jhp for the house. Don’t have an AR but I also live in a townhouse, so don’t want to punch through the walls.

1 Like

Something to consider

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/wall-to-wall-testing-penetration-of-home-defense-ammo/

3 Likes

Whatever round first has to exit the perp before it can penetrate a wall, does it not? :thinking:

2 Likes

Hopefully. But, we see time and agains in real life or death situations of chaos, few people are perfect and misses happening more often than hits. Wall penetration for misses should be a factor in selecting your tool

4 Likes

I have 9mm full and compact staged, but I am closer to
3-12Gauged Shotguns on a wall rack in bedroom.

The AR’s are across the house. I have a wall mounted
.45 ACP and a 10mm on the door of same room.

Sorry it sounds like a war zone and on top of that is
the monitored house alarm system. This was all built throughout 5 years and I have not listed the large
toolbox of over 1600 cubic square inches, maybe to small.

This is not a brag, but spend along time with USCCA
and you loose count of all the firearms. Do not forget
the training everyone needs and do not forget the cat.

2 Likes

If you’re not absolutely sure, what is the point of shooting?
If the threat of serious harm or death is immediate----as it should be----a miss no matter where the bullet comes to rest will not result in the perp abandoning the attack, and that can’t end well.

2 Likes

I live in a community of about 500 3-4 Bedroom Family Homes. Quarters are very close, and it is
full of children of all ages. Please be careful! Any firearm used can send an over penetrating round
through several walls and if a DCI ever happen, With GOD’S Grace it NEVER HAPPENS, please think
before using any firearm.

2 Likes

Reality is people miss. All kinds of people. Private citizen defensive gun uses and officer involved shootings typically run a hit percentage of about 20%.

The aim is for 100% accuracy under a dynamic critical incident where if you don’t stop the guy right now you die, but, a large body of evidence tells us that when push comes to shove, that’s not the norm

Exactly correct.

If it can be relied on to stop an attacker, it will go through multiple interior walls while being dangerous and potentially lethal on the other side.

5 Likes

Iam in full agreement with you. Education is from USCCA and mechanical engineering.

Safety always and thank you.

3 Likes

Because any firearm can go through walls, even multiple walls, is a good reason not to engage. unless you’re sure of a hit, not a miss, with ballistic ammunition that will stay where it’s needed.
And an excellent reason to participate in training.

FWIW, the last homicide in my neighborhood involved a high school senior who was frightened by a gang banger who wanted the boy’s cell phone. The lad tried to run to the front door, maybe 20’ and the perp drew and shot the running boy in the head.
I’m pretty sure the perp didn’t train on moving targets with the recently stolen Glock, nor was he concerned about the bullet passing through stucco exterior walls into the house where the boy’s friends were.
He was sentenced two weeks ago.
He wanted the money to raise bail for his boy friend, who recently committed a felony.

4 Likes

if something went bump in the night there’s a good chance you’ll be shooting form a Prone position ( bed ). Did you ever shoot a 12 gauge from a prone position, I didnt think so. For telegraphed home invasions shotguns would be my first choice.
PS: this is a dead horse issue and a dead neighbor issue using the AR.
Stop the sum bitches before they get in, clean em out with daytime block watch.

1 Like