AR Light: Pressure Pad or Push Button?

Bought a streamlight light for my AR. I’m running Magpul Furniture and I don’t have a lot of room.

Ideally, I think I’d prefer the light at 10 o’clock (I’m right handed) so I could use the push button. However, the magpul hand guard is very tight, and it gets in the way of my grip.

I moved the light to 2 o’clock with the plan to run the pressure pad. That being said… there’s not a great way to attach the pressure pad other than glue and zip ties if I put it where I want it.

The pressure pad seems really cool, and I like the light on the right side of the rifle, BUT I could see accidentally engaging the light being a problem, and I question the reliability of the pressure pad and wire once the gun runs hot for awhile.

Im thinking of moving the light back to 10 o’clock and seeing if a vertical foregrip will give my hand enough clearance from the light.

3 Likes

Pressure pad. Don’t want the light on when you don’t want it on. Momentary is the way.

Get a cloud defensive LCS to mount the pressure pad.

You won’t get the gun hot enough to bother the pad or cord unless you are doing one of those (IMO kind of silly) YouTube burndown tests with 500-1000 rounds preloaded in mags going through them as fast as you can wearing an oven mitt to hold the rifle.

AD of pad isn’t an issue, just mount it an inch or two from where you default with your hand/thumb and then practice/train.

5 Likes

Thank you! That’s a cool little piece to add to my list of pieces to buy for my adult legos :joy:.

I might try the zip ties and adhesive first. I’d really like to attach the pressure pad to this area in the pic (I’d put it on the right side of the rifle though).

2 Likes

Ah, you have that style rail? Might want to budget for a drop in free float handguard with the picatinny top sectino, everything attachment wise will be much smoother to accomplish.

For a fixed FSB I have also done this

5 Likes

The cloud defensive attachment would probably work for my magpul furniture. It might just be a little closer to my hand than I’d like, but the pad would be less in the way than the light itself.

That’s a cool attachment for the front sight post?

Do you know of a good hand guard set up compatible with a front sight post?

The magpul handgaurd is a far better set up than the OEM M&P sport handgaurd. The Magpul ear an affordable upgrade with actual attachment points and a real heat shield in the hand guard (oem hand guard was just plastic).

I’m trying to be careful with spending too much on this rifle. I need to put most of my money into shooting the darn thing. It’s a really good rifle. I want to get really good with it. However, I may look at upgrading to a higher quality rifle in a few years.

2 Likes

Might have to search to find one but that’s what I’d get. I previously owned the 1913 version on a Colt 6920

5 Likes

@Scoutbob
I run my light on the left side at the 9 o’clock position it is a push button type, it is the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount, I am right handed. I have a vertical grip also mounted on my AR. I changed my furniture from black to FDE. Anyways I love the way the grip feels and it does not impede the use of my left hand to deploy the light using the push button. I use my left thumb.

6 Likes

@Scoutbob

4 Likes

My setup is much like @Johnnyq60 has on my AR as well as my Mossberg Shockwave.

4 Likes

Yessir @Adam34 I like those setups :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

I’m wondering if I get a fore grip if that will give me the space for my hand. I’ll take a picture here soon.

I have the older Magpul Rail, so there’s a little less real-estate.

3 Likes

@Scoutbob
The top image that @Adam34 posted is exactly how I use my thumb but I am gripping the vertical fore grip.

2 Likes

I think his light is a lot further out than mine. I have the front sight post/ gas block on mine. My hand guard doesn’t go out very far.

2 Likes

I am sure you will work it out brother @Scoutbob :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

If the switch doesn’t work for you I wonder if a 45 degree offset mount placed on the top behind the sight would put the light in reach of your thumb without messing with your grip?

4 Likes

The top holes are vent holes, so they’re not mlock compatible. (Didn’t know that till today).

3 Likes

Can you go with a longer rail assembly to bring it back some? I have this longer one mounted at the bottom for bipod and quick vertical grip attachment

3 Likes

Very Nice! I need to look into putting a light on mine.

2 Likes

What mount for the Streamlight

1 Like

Why not both?

2 Likes