AR Contest: Which Weapon is Best for Your Home Defense?

I definitely feel its the Fake news bias against the AR. I am not sure who coined the phrase Assault Rifle bu in my 30 years of service in the Army I never heard that term used by any member that I served with. Not all mass shootings include an AR. But we definitely hear a lot about the ones that an AR has been used in. It’s the media causing mass hysteria which is part of their agenda.

2 Likes

I marked shotgun.That said the first weapon I pick up in the middle of the nite is a 357mag.Then I will decide what else is needed.

1 Like

My choice is whatever is closest that goes Bang. If I’m caught completely off guard without access to a boom stick I’ll beat them with a chair, or anything else swing-able.

1 Like

I chose the pistol and that’s what I practice with 98%

I love that for smaller people like me and your wife, they make youth model shotguns with the shorter LOP, and in 20g, which offers the punch you need without the kick

1 Like

Yup. The Bantam, and Super Bantam models are great for this.

1 Like

Other…Pistol caliber carbine with red dot optic and tactical light. Easy for my wife to use and be accurate with. Bullets won’t penetrate through walls beyond the house. Very effective stopping power.

4 Likes

I chose other,because home defense can mean different things or circumstances depending on layout and location and need.

If I am in a more rural environment and have large distance between breaching my property and my actual house an AR 10/15 might be right. Or if I have larger zones of protection to cover,or if my house has,zones of protection and or fire that are longer an AR might be great.

If I have choke points like stairs with certain areas of benefit a shotgun might be better.

If I am in a house that Isa non open concept. Then perhaps cqb tactics make a pistol better.

If i am in a state like California with a duty to retreat to the farthest part of the house away from the offender,it might depend on the distance from the door to where you are hunkered down.

It could conceivably be pepper spray,an AR ,shotgun or pistol.

I suppose it also depends on,if you are a wait for trouble to come to you(a school of teaching, with good survivability rates) or a I’m clearing my house school ( heavily dependant on skill, layout,physical prowess,etc but one has to acknowledge that even the best trained at cqb with a team generally has a 50% survival over time,under defensive methods.

If I were in an apartment in a city,I highly doubt I would start with the ar as I would most likely flag all on my neighbors just spinning in a room. In addition without specialized ammunition any shot would most likely have me up on some other charge regardless of my intent or reason.

If however I was more rural than city.
I would most likely use all of the weapons,relegated to my property and or house protection plan( inclusive of retreat)

Urban is location and site dependant.

But if it is as hairy as I plan for,the police had better be quite a ways away. If they are not, I sure better be on the phone,know where they are,be weapon less when they breach where I am at etc.

I do have a right to not be a friendly fire incident,and if the dispatcher reports multiple calls of multiple shots,the guys coming are already stressed before they even leave the unit.

Si vi pacem para bellum Or as is said
If you want peace,prepare for war.

Lol
( and remember your army is always coming,has badges and they do not necessarily know you are with them)

And I am ignoring less lethal lol

2 Likes

I chose Handgun because usually that is likely the first thing that I will have access to and I’m confident in it. But if I have the time/warning I will look for an AR to shelter/bunker in place until authorities arrive.

Also consider what load you carry in it and know that 12 ga 00 Buck is the same as 9 rounds of 9mm spreading thru your house. And each of those pellets can go thru “many” interior walls. Also if you have to hand it to her - can she manage it? Does it have a mounted light? Don’t want to shoot the dog or your drunk neighbor who came to your house by mistake. And maneuvering in a house is not as easy as a pistol. Subject to being taken away around corners etc.

Can be a good choice and Better than a shotgun but consider:
If it is a 9mm PCC those rounds will go thru multiple inside walls and if wood siding will go thru it also to the outside.

Not sure what is most deadly scenario for me:

1. 5 Armed burglars
  2. Boys in Blue coming to my house on a “Shots Fired” Call.
    These days - Probably No 2.
2 Likes

Pistol is good choice if you have a mounted or held light.
Just know that it will shoot thru “Many” interior walls if sheetrock.

Do you have a mounted light and practice with it ?. Know CQB Light tactics?

1 Like

I do have light but don’t have holster that will hold pistol with light. Removed light and never practiced with it. Do have flashlight next to pistol if I need it.

Be sure to vote in the initial post to be entered for your chance to win!

Poll closes in less than 24 hours!

With a 30 round magazine and a round that is less likely to punch through walls than 9mm, I am going with my AR. Plus they’re quicker to get back on target after a shot than a shotgun.

2 Likes

Former military and after so many years an AR platform is just so very familiar.

1 Like

Paul Harrel recently posted a video showing how different platforms would perform inside the home (pistol, MI Carbine, shotgun)……shotgun with standard birdshot had the least issues with over penetration but it seemed to me to be more about round vs platform (e.g. if you use hollow points you won’t over penetrate, if you use FMJs you will).

2 Likes