Anyone Fish here? Looking for a telescoping rod

Not sure if the Hunting category is the best place for it, but I figure most hunters probably fish too.

I’m looking for a telescoping rod. I understand that usually a rod that breaks into pieces is better, but I am willing to trade a little bit of durability for compactness.

The purpose is it will get tucked into a bag with some other fishing supplies and once or twice a year I may stop somewhere and fish in a pond, off a pier, or a bridge. Most likely only freshwater, but I’m not to far from the Chesapeake (mixed salt/fresh) and a little further is ocean.

4 Likes

@Harvey If you think you may get into bigger fish I would go with MH rating. I use a lot of Light telescoping rods and an 18" Smallmouth Bass is a stretch. Here is a link. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Bruce for the link. What is “MH rating”?

2 Likes

`Medium Heavy, A good all around rod with a whippy tip. If your fishing trout then go with a Medium or Medium Light. I have I think 5 in different packs. :+1:

2 Likes

Awesome thank you!

2 Likes

I’m right here. What may I do for you?

3 Likes

:laughing: Got any insight on telescoping fishing rods? Your name suggest you may be an expert :wink:

1 Like

When I was serving in the Marine Corps I carried a break down pole with me everywhere I was stationed or sent to. I would fit it into my backpack and never had a problem. I fished Okinawa, Tokyo bay, Korea, Philippines, North Carolina, Lake Tahoe, and any water holes in between.
Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Pack Rod

3 Likes

I love to fish. But have not since I moved to OR. OR las are so confusing I gave up trying to figure them out. Unless I can find someone to show me the ropes I wont be fishing here. I do have a nice collapsible pole though. maybe 16 " by 5’x3’ plastic case I carried with me all over Idaho. No idea the brand, but it was great when you stopped to camp and a river was near by.

2 Likes

Don’t fish anymore since my father passed, but I’m surprised no one mentioned the k tel pocket fisherman

2 Likes

I see the pocket fisherman in the Flea Markets and Good Will once in a while. There is a reason they are extinct. LOL. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m a fishing rod ‘nut case’ since I fish both fresh and slat waters. I do crazy stuff like buying a custom built surf rod in the $1K range with a high dollar Spin reel just to catch sharks off my Alabama beach when a $200 rig works just fine. Anyway my point is I buy based on my target species/size. Do not forget you have to carry a reel also so consider the many "Pack " rigs that have their own case to contain rod/reel/ and often some tackle, all packed and ready to travel.

2 Likes

I use an Eagle Claw telescopic rod and light weight reel for fishing while I’m motorcycling. Perfect for trout streams and small lakes.

2 Likes

Going fishing soon.

I got two telescoping fishing rods. Forgot where I got em. Maybe try Cabela’s/Bass Pro, Midwest USA. Cabela’s on sale $20 spinning reels.

Some states have free fishing no license required this weekend only. Check online with your state’s natural resources department. Happy Fathers Day ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Not related to fishing, but neat article about soil, gardening, the outdoors for better mental health, aka “dirt therapy” (below):

2 Likes

I used telescopic fishing poles and they do come in handy. I also have one that’s a combo fly rod. They served their purpose for me. I love light tackle fishing.
PS: I broke the best fishing rod I ever had on a big striped bass. It was a one peace graphite rode. When it broke I sounded like a gunshot and it shattered in multiple pieces. It served me well and it was a honorable
death for my friend.
Happy fishing to you.
Oh PS: they aren’t as strong as a conventional rod.

2 Likes

Visited couple fishing spots recently.

I underprepared for the mosquitos.

Hiked a bit, brought a portable phone charger and walkie-talkie. Soon as dark hit and heard a pack of coyotes howling, that alone made all the mosquito bites worthwhile. Never wanna “drive” at night again, though.

Multi-tasked this weekend, I shaved off all the barbs on my fish-hooks, feels good gotten that done. Gonna try head out again in a week.

Keep hearing confusion on if state legally allows conceal carry CCW in state parks. Bummer.

2 Likes