Another Win for the Good Guys

Unfortunately I know the perp in this story. Had several rub ins with him when I was teaching. He has a long record of assaulting people. I’m glad the teen had the presence of mind to use a firearm to defend his family.

Deputy: Teen runs off alleged assailant with deer rifle

westplainsdailyquill.net - 3 hours ago

A Couch resident has been charged with first-degree assault after reportedly striking another man repeatedly in the head until a teenage son of the victim pointed a deer rifle at the alleged assailant.

A warrant has been issued for John Jason Janes with bail set at $15,000, according to court documents.

Oregon County Deputy James Martin reported he responded to a call at about 9 p.m. July 6. He arrived at the alleged victim’s home on County Road 289 to find the man lying on a couch shaking uncontrollably.

A woman and the teen who said they witnessed the incident told the deputy that Janes had come to the house, gotten out of his vehicle and allegedly hit the man in the mouth, knocking him to the ground.

They alleged to Martin that Janes then held the man’s head down with his knee and continued to assault him. Witnesses said the teen went into the house to retrieve a deer rifle and pointed it at Janes, telling him he needed to leave.

Janes then got into the passenger side of a pickup truck driven by his 14-year-old son and left, according to witnesses, who added that Janes wasn’t driving because he was intoxicated.

The victim was treated at a hospital in Poplar Bluff, Martin said.

1 Like

Something is wrong with your link, not sure what.

Sounds like the young man did a man size job of defending his family and deserves our thanks and respect.

1 Like

Can you see the story? It’s showing on my phone. I’ll repost it here.

Deputy: Teen runs off alleged assailant with deer rifle

westplainsdailyquill.net - 3 hours ago

A Couch resident has been charged with first-degree assault after reportedly striking another man repeatedly in the head until a teenage son of the victim pointed a deer rifle at the alleged assailant.

A warrant has been issued for John Jason Janes with bail set at $15,000, according to court documents.

Oregon County Deputy James Martin reported he responded to a call at about 9 p.m. July 6. He arrived at the alleged victim’s home on County Road 289 to find the man lying on a couch shaking uncontrollably.

A woman and the teen who said they witnessed the incident told the deputy that Janes had come to the house, gotten out of his vehicle and allegedly hit the man in the mouth, knocking him to the ground.

They alleged to Martin that Janes then held the man’s head down with his knee and continued to assault him. Witnesses said the teen went into the house to retrieve a deer rifle and pointed it at Janes, telling him he needed to leave.

Janes then got into the passenger side of a pickup truck driven by his 14-year-old son and left, according to witnesses, who added that Janes wasn’t driving because he was intoxicated.

The victim was treated at a hospital in Poplar Bluff, Martin said.

1 Like

@Michael7
Thank you for sharing the story. It shows that pointing the gun at a person in defense doesn’t have to end up with arrest.

I get a broken picture link in the box, I can read what you cut and pasted below.

1 Like

Depends on your jurisdiction and who gets the call. :wink:

Around here if you have a halfway believable story odds are pretty good you’ll never even get cuffed.

In other jurisdictions you’re guaranteed to “take the ride”.

2 Likes

Mr. Jane’s is very lucky he didn’t get shot. I believe it would have been justified. He’s a loose cannon who will kill someone if he doesn’t get sent to prison.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we have an elderly man here who’s gotten a pass because of his name and his age several times and I expect sooner or later he’ll kill someone as well. Lat time he got away believe it or not with attacking and striking a deputy.

2 Likes

I get the obits page on there when I take the original link.
try this one @WildRose

1 Like

… and the assailant decided not to drive because he was drunk, but had his 14-year-old son drive him over there to assault the guy???
There’s a WHOLE lotta wrong going on with that situation.
:astonished::angry:

at least the other kid is plugged into doing the right thing.

2 Likes

Somehow I doubt there’s a full set of teeth in that whole family. :smiley:

I guess I’m a bit of a slow learner when it comes to posting things. I’ll keep trying though.

1 Like

His son is pretty much just like him. I had him in 5th grade and he is the poster child for a bully. The nut truly does not fall far from the tree.

1 Like

It is sad. The mother is a really good person but she marri6into a real bunch of nut cases.

1 Like