An other good reason to leave Illinois

llinois Supreme Court Upholds State’s ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban

Story by Caroline Downey •8h

[image]

llinois Governor J.B. Pritzker delivers remarks at the North America's Building Trades Unions 2019 legislative conference in Washington, D.C., April 9, 2019.

llinois Governor J.B. Pritzker delivers remarks at the North America’s Building Trades Unions 2019 legislative conference in Washington, D.C., April 9, 2019.© Jeenah Moon/Reuters

The Illinois Supreme Court on Friday preserved the state’s “assault weapons” ban, which was signed into law by Democratic Governor J.B. Pritzker in January.

A 4–3 majority ruled in favor of the defendants on equal protection grounds but did not offer judgement on claims involving the Second Amendment, according to the opinion.

The Protect Illinois Communities Act (PICA) bans the sale and distribution of some semiautomatic rifles, high-capacity magazines, and switches that convert handguns into more advanced firearms. In addition to prohibiting the possession of semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15, the law grants local enforcement authorities the power to add additional firearm bans in the future. The legislation also forces firearm owners of the restricted weapons to register with state police.

The measure includes a “grandfather clause” allowing ownership of now-banned firearms purchased before this year as long as those individuals provide an endorsement affidavit to the Illinois State Police by January of next year. Seven enumerated classes including security officers and law enforcement agencies are also exempted from the law. The court dismissed the objection of the plaintiffs that they are denied equal protection because the grandfathered individuals are afforded preferential treatment.

“The Act attempts to balance public safety against the expertise of the trained professionals and the expectation interests of the grandfathered individuals,” the opinion read.

Related video: Illinois Supreme Court upholds state’s ban on semiautomatic weapons (KTVI-TV St. Louis)

The ban is on the types of assault weapons used

Loaded: 100.00%

Play

Current Time 0:13

/

Duration 0:49

Quality Settings

Captions

Fullscreen

KTVI-TV St. Louis

Illinois Supreme Court upholds state’s ban on semiautomatic weapons

Unmute

View on Watch

More videos

In April, a federal judge blocked the law, arguing that it is potentially in conflict with two Supreme Court cases, demonstrating its unconstitutionality.

This Game is So Beautiful. If You Have a Computer it's a Must-Have.

This Game is So Beautiful. If You Have a Computer it’s a Must-Have.

Ad

Raid: Shadow Legends

“The Supreme Court in Bruen and Heller held that citizens have a constitutional right to own and possess firearms and may use them for self-defense. PICA seems to be written in spite of the clear directives in Bruen and Heller, not in conformity with them,” U.S. District Judge Stephen McGlynn wrote in his order.

McGlynn did not make a judgement on the merits of the case but argued that the law would likely be deemed unconstitutional when it goes to trial and that the plaintiffs involved will suffer irreparable harm if its enforcement is not halted. The plaintiffs include a number of gun owners, gun stores Hoods Guns & More and Pro Gun and Indoor Range, as well as pro-gun organizations like the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Pritzker pushed for the law as a way to help combat mass shootings.

“This is a commonsense gun reform law to keep mass-killing machines off our streets and out of our schools, malls, parks and places of worship,” he said in a statement on Friday. “This decision is a win for advocates, survivors, and families alike because it preserves this nation-leading legislation to combat gun violence and save countless lives.”

More on National Review

One of these days, maybe, Just Maybe, We’ll read a headline that says:

llinois Supreme Court Upholds State’s ‘Assault Persons’ Ban

Until then it’s all a bunch of crapola fashioned to have the appearance of political concern and forced civility.

“This is a commonsense gun reform law to keep mass-killing machines off our streets”

Makes me sick, "This is a common… :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:
This is a hold over from the Barry Administration.

3 Likes

The trick in IL right now is to “surf” the court rulings. Given that IL is a red state controlled by a blue county the courts were predictable. I figured we would win in the lower state courts and loose at the IL Supreme Court and we did. I also believed we would loose in the lower Federal courts and that has occurred but the SCOTUS is likely to reverse the lower Federal courts. Right now every liberal Federal Judge is auditioning for a possible future SCOTUS appointment by ignoring the Heller and Bruen rulings and violating the 2A rights of blue state citizens.

7 Likes

How sad that the right to keep and bear arms is at the mercy of unelected, unaccountable judges in jobs for life.

4 Likes

Sounds like tyranny to me. And state by state, we will be disarmed! You think they are joking, we are the joke!
They have judges, we have slogans and memes! No wonder we are turning into a third world country!

2 Likes

They call countries like Venezuela, Libya, Iraq FAILED STATES,
The NOT so United States is a FAILED STATE.

GOD should just look upon Humanity as a FAILED EXPERIMENT.

2 Likes

Question about Illinois “assault weapons” ban: If I store my weapon out of state, do I still need to register it?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Frank239
Does the State Ban/Law state that you must destroy the firearm, render it inoperable, turn it in for some token amount of money or remove it out-of-state?
I haven’t lived in IL since 2010 so I’m not up to date with the craziness anymore.

2 Likes

ARs are grandfathered in, but it needs to be registered by January. Of course, registration is the first step to eventual confiscation.

I was wondering if registration is necessary, if the rifle is not store in Illinois.

1 Like

If you store it out of state and it is stolen, used in a crime, the serial number is traced back to you, I would imagine you be in a world of hurt.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like moving out of state is the safe bet.

4 Likes