Ammo cabinet

This was a quick and easy solution to a piled up corner and a bonding exercise with my uncle. With most of the money going into the house this will do for now.

6 Likes

I like the look of wood cabinets. I kept one for a few of my collectable firearms after I bought my safe. I have guns staged in certain areas of my house… that’s a lot less secure than a wood cabinet. I suppose a criminal could break in and steal a gun out of a wood cabinet, but at the same time, there are a good number of metal safes in the market that can be broken open with simple hand tools, leverage, and a few minutes.

4 Likes

I like it! :+1:

I normally load cabinets with the heaviest stuff on the bottom for stability … just a thought

7 Likes

Psoriatic arthritis in the hips doesn’t make it easy to bend over. Ever see the ad about breaking the chains of arthritis? It’s not a lie. Age has a way of f’ing with you that you never see coming.

Edit: and thanks for the compliment

8 Likes

@William191 This is what I have used for years and am very satisfied, $1.50 at the Dollar Store.
I change them out every 6 months. Cheap and work great. :+1:

P.S. Made in U.S.A. :+1:

13 Likes

I use damp rid containers from years ago & fill them with 100% calcium chloride ( normal use for snow & ice removal, 20# bag lasts a long time) & before some folks talk about rust, it does not.

5 Likes

I too have a wooden ammo cabinet. I use something just like what @BRUCE26 uses. It works really well. I have a lot of it in ammo cans too with the little desiccant packs inside. Between the two, the ammo looks just great after a year.

It is inside the climate controlled part of the house though.

5 Likes

Haha, the ammo for my 41mag is pretty old and has ever only been kept in a similar cabinet or just in a paper bag on top shelf in a closet. I mean around 20 years old or longer. Will have to go shoot some this summer.

4 Likes

I have a 12x12 room in the basement, cool-dark-dry is the key. I run a large dehumidifier in the room for 4 hours once a month. For really long-term storage I vacuum-seal everything.

5 Likes

Also a side note, I use silica gel (normally used for drying flowers) in any porous fabric or coffee filters for ammo stored in cans.

4 Likes

As long as the top is secured to the wall, all is well :+1:

I am beginning to appreciate the joy’s of working around physical limitations :grinning:

5 Likes

Oohhhh boy, the things I could do with a room that size!

Started my woodworking projects and found that any big mouthed liberal can suck the humidity out of any size room, indefinitely, when properly placed! Metaphorically speaking!

8 Likes

I use that as well, except I keep all of my firearms in steel safes. I just worry to much about a house fire and it affecting my ammo, setting off my ammo in a sympathetic detonation.

3 Likes

Plus, no moths!

1 Like

Is it Pine or Cedar that spiders love?:grin:

2 Likes

Cardboard boxes. Brown recluse spiders.

2 Likes

KY has tons of black widows and brown recluse spiders. I don’t put my hand into any dark place since both like the dark to hide.

2 Likes

One of my kids bedroom once he moved out. The room is all gun related but I reinforced closet with fire resistant board and steel bolted door. This was rather than buy a safe. See some great great ideas here to keep moister out. Try this one The kitty litter blue beads sealed in Coffee filters . Works. Picked it up at Prepsteaders on You Tube

2 Likes

Is that an old tack room for horse stuff. Love it, can think ofall kinds of things to do with the space.

Very nice, I love the classic wood cabinet look.

2 Likes