All In The Mindset

https://www.range365.com/five-keys-self-defense-mindset/

6 Likes
5 Likes

Maintaining psychological orientation toward winning a fight against bad guys is very important. Be careful who you discuss self-defence with. “You’ve never done this, what do you know”, “you are not strong enough to fight a criminal”, “should concentrate on your studies/job”, “you can end up in prison” -any of these uttered by a parent, spouse, close friend will damage your orientation toward winning in a way that will take some time to undo. If your loved one cannot give you input that orients you toward winning -never raise the subject with them.

6 Likes

Heard it all, brother. Don’t doubt yourself. Refuse to be a victim. We are responsible for protecting ourselves and our families. As I began this thread, “Ain’t the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.”

7 Likes

A bit of old and new on Mindset:

Ok, no new idea under the sun… follow the pattern.

5 Likes

Yesterday my gun club have a small class for new gun owners. And how to be a responsible gun owner. I went to it. There were around 10 people in it. I also took some USCCA booklets with me. and asked if I put them out for anyone that wanted one. I was told that I could. I also had my affiliate number on them as well. So that maybe if they join I’d get credit for it. I did not talk to anyone about USCCA. But when the class was over with I found only 1 of the maybe 8 or 9 I brought gone. I also was wearing a USCCA t-shirt. Some of the people were new gun owners some did not own guns yet. and there was a 13 year old with his father. And the class went over basic gun safety rules and different types of handguns and how they worked. And I did learn some new things as I always do at classes like this. The main instructor knew me and they even asked my some thing to help out with some info for the class. And it was a great time. Now I’ll just wait to see if anyone that took a booklet signs up and if I get a referral for it.

5 Likes

@Reloader54 Thanks for taking the time to review the videos. I got my chops under guys like Jeff Cooper and Massad Ayoob. Never met either man, personally, but read much of their material and trained with guys cut from the same cloth.

Jeff Cooper said something in the video that resonates strongly…we aren’t out to kill someone but to stop the threat to us or the ones we are protecting. I consider that a core principle. I don’t want to harm anyone but am unwilling to let someone with evil intent harm another. We can be the fastest person during the match, most accurate marksman and tough as boot leather. None of that does us much good without a compass…

6 Likes

Guess I’d better get a ticket (to “The Hills Have Eyes”), and get in line. Sounds like an ‘interesting’ movie. Any ‘hot chicks’ in it? (Just a ‘guy’ joke peoples; aka female gun owners). I’m a ‘Guy’, that happens to enjoy looking at attractive women. If you have any issues with the realities of the human biological concept, I’ll just refer you to the 'Man (or Woman?), upstairs (aka ‘Heaven’ via prayers- of course). He (or ‘She’), created the mental, then physical interactions that MOST humans enjoy. Right? Right! Have A Blessed Day folks. Be Safe, and keep your ‘Powder Dry!’ ; ) L8tr.

3 Likes

I just watched the 2006 Version of The Hills Have Eyes. The Original, filmed in the Mojave Desert (Victorville) in 1977, is now a cult classic. The version I watched was filmed in Morocco. What did I learn from the movie? It kinda reinforces “fight in the dog” concept. Not a good self-defense movie. Their intel was way off…

2 Likes

Greetings Sir. Thank you for the (your), reply. I will put renting this video on my (somewhat), crowded “Things To Do” list. Once again - Thanks. Have A Blessed Day. OUT! fdr.

3 Likes

Good point!

4 Likes

Personal Experience from Travis Haley:

2 Likes

@Levi2
I made that decision when I was 14. It was one of the most sobering moments of my life.
And, I pray I never have to put it into practice!

4 Likes

First of all, I would like to thank all the veterans here for their service, as this subject has effected people I care for deeply. I have never been forced to squeeze the trigger to defend myself, but I have been there to witness the aftermath that some struggle with after the fact. I pray none of us are forced to deal with that.

5 Likes

Long video but good points about keeping control of your emotions and checking ego. Strong language in video.

4 Likes

Just came across this new Jewel:

Mindset about EDC. Don’t get wrapped up in your kit.

2 Likes

Good teacher Shawn Ryan. Very intense individual when he’s training others. He gets that from the Seal teams I’m guessing. Anyways I watch his YouTube channel a lot.

2 Likes

One of the best videos Shawn Ryan did:

Not something you would expect a former Navy Seal to share. Helped me out a lot. I don’t like large crowds, especially at parties. Not my thing. Had to present to some pretty large audiences but that was different. Crack a really stupid joke like the “man that shot my paw” or “hare restoration tonic” then get to the lecture/sermon etc.

3 Likes

@Jeff-A1
He must live near an airport. :thinking:
Was anyone else tired from watching that video?
I definitely agree about not getting yourself into a position you can not get out of.

2 Likes

@Proverbs31.10-31 Your not a military veteran so I can see how Sean’s message would be boring to you. I hear plenty of platitudes expressed towards vets but no real help being offered. Left up to former military to take care of former military.

4 Likes