All In The Mindset

A worthy read with all the new gun owners out there. “The Mindset” is all about the amount of fight in the dog. If you have a gun and are unwilling to use is it to defend yourself or others…why have it? Please, choose not to be a victim.

12 Likes

I worry about this with the surge of new first time gun owners. How many of them are only purchasing thinking that having them will scare off any attack.

8 Likes

I worry about this, too…but I’m not spending many cycles on it. I can’t worry for others outside my circle of influence.

7 Likes

Not a bad article! Thanks for sharing. Love the picture in the article. Not too long ago, I spoke with one of my customers about firearms instruction. He ankle carries, and has had some not to lethal encounters. As the conversation went along, he stated he doubted that he could deploy his firearm for self defense. I didnt want to embarrass him, but told him at least ankle carry builds leg muscles.

Yesterday had a call from a wonderful young man that we taught him a firearms training course. He stated as in college he cannot carry a firearm, and since he has a scholarship he respects their wishes. So I asked him what he was to do at night, in the parking lot, after class, and finds himself in a uncompromising situation? Dial 911? What if the attacker takes the phone away from you and robs you or hurts you and you cannot go home to your wife and family?
What about pepper spray as I asked? Can you carry pepper spray? Yes he replied. Kimber makes a kool pepper spray device, and maybe some others check them out! Carry concealed pepper spray! The conversation drifted to having a firearm in a lock box in his vehicle. My response was, what if someone breaks into your car, steals your firearm and uses it on a no firearms policy campus? Or if the perp uses it on you and you don’t go home to your wife and family? Luckily, he is a fine fellow and got the message.

The mindset? Fight to near death.

5 Likes

@OldGnome We have a strong community right here. We can encourage new gun owners to mantle the responsibility of self-defense. If I can protect my ship from intrusion or an airbase from being over-run, I can definitely protect my family from a criminal. I may be getting a bit crusty in my years but that isn’t affecting my attitude…it helps me refine it. What is the expression about good men doing nothing, oh- The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.

6 Likes

Yes, exactly. Quite a different mindset from “worry.”

5 Likes

A quote I’ve used before
“You have to fight like your the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah’s ark, and brother, it’s starting to RAIN!”

7 Likes

My daughter asked me about couple years ago, “dad, will you die for me?”

I was caught by surprise but recovered immediately and I casually replied, “of course.”

I thought it was a teachable moment for both of us so I explained further.

I had to use an extreme example to drive my point. Say, we’re on a road trip with family and friends and we had some kind of a The Hills Have Eyes situation.

I would defend her, my wife and my son, and perhaps, my uncle and aunt whom I love, to the point of death. They’re in my circle.

Her boyfriend and her cousins, uncles and aunts, and friends? I might defend but I’m not giving up my life for them.

It’s important for me to fully understand this so that I’m mentally prepared if, God forbid, we end up tricked and stranded in the Mojave Desert.

5 Likes

Take it easy on the Mojave :wink: . I used to live there while working at Edwards AFB. Hope none of us have a “Hills Have Eyes” situation to deal with.

5 Likes

I’m using this. Love quotes that paint a picture you’ll never forget

8 Likes

The Hills Have Eyes was one of my favorite movies.

3 Likes

I guess I will need to watch it.

3 Likes

Do I want to die? No Am I afraid to die? No Will I defend myself to the death if the situation forces itself upon me? Yes. We all carry, and because of that our loved ones depend on us for survival if, God forbid, the situation arises. You can not afford to carry and doubt yourself. The person intending harm will not accept a timeout for you to debate with yourself whether you are prepared for the outcome of your actions.

9 Likes

That captures it for me, @Levi2. Why Intel and situational awareness is so important to me. There are areas that I don’t travel anymore. Used to enjoy the Baltimore Aquarium and Several of the DC Art Museums. Not anymore.

4 Likes

I was once stationed at Ft. Meade. Needless to say, I don’t miss that area. Lol

5 Likes

I agree. I love fishing, but I no longer go to one of my favorite spots because in the last couple months, 3 people have been robbed and one shot. Situational awareness is imperative… having a firearm to protect yourself and your loved ones does no good if you aren’t looking for threats. Especially if that threat could end up with your weapon.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I was not able to join the service like I had planned. Not to say I didn’t try. Thank y’all for your service! These days I’m sure that doesn’t get said enough.

5 Likes

Now to help others find that mindset.

4 Likes

Just use wisdom when you travel… even daily routine. We all know how fast easily life can be lost and the impact a death deals to loved ones. Never intentionally put yourself in a bad position, keep your head on a swivel, and your eyes open, and it’s possible that you may never have to use your USCCA benefits. For those that may question if they could end a life if forced to… decide if you can do what you have to if you have to before you have to.

6 Likes

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/9/27/the-three-cs-of-a-self-defense-mindset/

6 Likes