Air Soft for Training?

Does air soft pistols help improve your shooting? I am curious about this for when firing an air soft you do not get the same feeling you get when firing an actual firearm.

1 Like

I think dry fire does better job.
I was using Beretta APX BB gun for some time before I got my FOID card and could buy the real firearm. Did it improve my shooting? I don’t think so. It just helped me to understand how to properly handle a gun, practice safety rules, focus on front sight and shoot with both eyes open. So I learned the basics.

All good came with practice with real firearm.

2 Likes

Air soft would be good for a different type of training. Using it to clean and sweep an area or scenario training. It isn’t really that good for training for shooting accuracy. It could be used to practice your draw too. The thing is a Air soft gun isn’t very accurate so, it is not going to help you with accuracy but it will work for reaction time and shoot, don’t shoot situations.

3 Likes

I’ve used it plenty; when teaching empty hand/impact/edged weapons techniques vs firearm at an advanced level. Airsoft is good for that and for second stage basic CQB tactical training with small groups. In the Army we called these battle drills and small unit proficiency with these drills was evaluated in tactical lanes. It’s the point at which teaching close combat with small arms transitions from individual skills to a team sport. Mistakes cost a whole lot less, but are still fairly obvious when shooting rubber pellets instead of real bullets. Tactics that don’t work 100% of the time become obvious and get discarded when shooting Airsoft guns or Simunitions. Airsoft has some real limitations, but it is much cheaper and easier to do safely when appropriate.

1 Like

Not sure about the shooting part, but tactics, oh yeah!

Many law Enforcement and military have gone to airsoft training to improve on tactics. Hint, to feel the pain more the old paint balls put in freezer overnight create one hell of a sting and bruising.

2 Likes