👍🏽 Agreement or Opinion

Forums would be a lot nicer if folks would use thumbs instead of text…

5 Likes

:rofl:
in addition…
sometimes brain should be involved as well.

However this particular thread is fine… let’s continue it. :+1:

3 Likes

Great question, @Lu-Can – I think both. One of the things I appreciate about this site is that people respectfully disagree. When someone says something that is thoughtful and respectful, I try to :+1: even if I don’t concur with what they said.

Thanks for raising it, though – a big :+1:!

4 Likes

@Lu-Can great question! 80/20 respect/agree.

1 Like

4 Likes

If I hit the ‘like’ button it’s because I liked the post. Sometimes because I agree with it, sometimes because I found the ideas expressed or the viewpoint interesting or one I hadn’t considered before, and sometimes just because it made me smile. Probably other reasons as well.

PS: Once in a while I ‘like’ a post just because i have come to like the person behind it and want to show some love and support.

8 Likes

2 Likes

I would say each one or even both at the same time.

2 Likes

I :+1: if I agree with what is being said , If I have anything other to add I comment.

2 Likes

Although some other platforms have a :-1:t3: and it tends to get abused, I’ll admit I sometimes wish we had it here. Not so much to express disapproval or silently judge other users, though. Really, just so I can distance myself when one of us gets in a grouchy mood and posts something cringe-worthy. That way, when the ATF or FBI scans this public forum for potential threats, I can tell the investigators that Oscar over there doesn’t represent the whole group.

3 Likes

The thumbs down is an intereting one and PC will lever let it fly on most sites. Does it mean that you disagree with the topic (YouTube video about AOC) or that you think that video is bad or of low quality, or of no intererst (Waste of your time or I don’t like this song).

4 Likes

Yep!!!

1 Like

Right. Most places where I’ve seen a thumbs-down, it gets abused. And it’s even more misunderstood than the thumbs-up.

Then there’s the tenebrous no-response. Look up Warnock’s Dilemma. When no one responds, there’s no way to tell whether a post was so good it needed no response, so bad that it deserved no response, whether it was even seen, or whether anyone even cares.

2 Likes

I use it as agreement. In old chat rooms people often used the word Ditto. Those that have been going to fundamentalist churches often say "Amen ". In some southern churches people will raise a hand for agreement, wave a handkerchief or applaud. With the exception of Amen most of it is just non verbal shortcuts.

2 Likes

I respect others opinions even though I may not agree.

2 Likes

:+1:, to or from me holds weight. I don’t give participation stickers.

2 Likes

Sometimes I give the thumbs up just to encourage someone. If they express something from a different point of view, I might not agree, but if it makes me think, it was worth my time.

2 Likes

I do it because I respect and agree with it .

1 Like

Sir, that is a very helpful question: One thing that may be a side issue is the wording of option #2. We do not respect opinions. Opinions are things. We respect people. Perhaps this is a distinction without a difference. But in our day and age many people miss this important point. We can respect people, as we ought, but we may also disagree with their opinion. Just my “two widow’s mites” tossed in there.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @DocTrinsOGrace !

While I respect all people until they clearly and repeatedly prove they do not deserve that respect, I think opinions and people are different things that can be respected or rejected on different levels. There are lots of people I very much respect who have opinions on certain topics that I believe are fatally flawed. And I even occasionally run into fatally flawed people who manage to express an opinion that I can completely respect and agree with.

3 Likes