Advanced training?

I think it’s safe to say that we all agree training is important no matter what stage of your self-defense or concealed carry journey you’re at. Let’s hear from those of you who have carried for a while,

What advanced training classes have you taken? How did it help you?

6 Likes

Defensive handgun 1 made me holster draw certified. I’m signed up for defensive handgun 2, which is firing from cover and on the move. Not to mention the time spent in classroom talking over stuff… most of my life, guns have been a loud destructive toy in my eyes. The way things are now a days, I might actually need it to save me some day. Kind of a sad thought.

5 Likes

USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals 1 & 2 :grin: which is pretty awesome. Draw from holster, move and shoot, defensive scenarios.
Also first aid training.

Spent quite a bit of time with my coach on draw from holster. IDPA and IPSC, and while they’re not specifically self defense they will grow your skillset.

Want to do a shoot house, more low light training, advanced first aid or trauma first aid, and stop the bleed.

4 Likes

I’d like to have an option to attend outdoor range training… hopefully some day it will happen…
I also miss “Home Defense” classes, not offered locally.

I came through all classes offered by my local Ranges: Basic, CCW, Advanced, Holstering, Shoot-Don’t-Shoot (pistol only, I do not like AR).
For now besides range shooting I always attend one of “advanced” classes every month.

REMEMBER: shooting is a perishable skill. :point_up:

2 Likes

I took Rob Pincus’ Intuitive Defensive Shooting (move/draw shoot, change mags, multiple targets etc etc) in 2018. There was actually a USCCA instructor there with him apprenticing so he could train the course on his own. Later that same year I took a “Handgun fundamentals” course which was actually one of the local PDs qualifying courses modified for civilians (times were adjusted for running/kneeling parts). Then there was Dave Young’s Firearms Survival Tactics and Handgun Protection/Retention courses I took at the 2018 USCCA Expo.

Oh and I took the USCCA’s Defensive Handgun 1 in 2017 at our local range it was just “eh” but I fault the instructor vs the course.

I guess 2018 was a “training year.” Coincidently, I’m looking to repeat that here in 2020 (starting with Dave Young’s courses in March at the 2020 Expo). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried to sign up for fundamentals 1, but it got canceled. I tell ya…

2 Likes

This is my training year, now that I have other things out of the way.

3 Likes

…and since “the Boogaloo” seems to be right around the corner…good timing. :wink:

3 Likes

@JamesR - indeed.

3 Likes

I have taken the ISRA Active shooter class (both classroom and range). I think an active shooter is the nightmare scenario and probably will take some additional courses in the future.

3 Likes

Training in March.

Hopefully 2 classes in 2020.

Did some low light in the military it was a very humbling experience

2 Likes

I have taken a bunch of different classes, but I am taking 6 or 7 at the USCCA EXPO. Or at least as many as my body will stand for.

3 Likes

I took an advanced handgun and a low level light course this year. The advanced helped me hone current skills and the low level light reminded me that it gets real in the dark.

5 Likes

I love to train. I’ve literally lost track at this point on all the various training I’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of. My favorites were active shooter instructor training, automatic weapons operator training, and a Close Quarter Battle (CQB) course put on by some young operators from various military branches. Looking fwd to adding some carbine training and combat casualty care to the mix this year (upload://8BSr8PDGsvgqRv5AlJQlgXIt7Jy.jpeg) image

6 Likes

Really LOVE those photos @Kiest!!

You’ve done some pretty intense training… is there anything in the training you’ve done that was a revelation?

2 Likes

Zee, the main take away for me after attending those trainings was the importance of incorporating “movement” in my firearm training. “Getting off the X” is what it’s referred to. With that said, I practice all my tactics (i.e draw, shooting, reloads, immediate action drills) on the move. In a fight, you don’t want to be a stationary target/victim. Get off line! With that said, learning to manipulate my handgun on the move was a game changer for me! I highly encourage you to incorporate it in your training.

3 Likes

excellent advice @Kiest thank you! I’m adding more of that to what I do.

1 Like

@Aaron16 you should take the Defensive Shooting Class!! You know a few instructors :rofl:

3 Likes